Console features that you want to see brought back

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
I was cleaning up all my old systems and organizing them with my wife in our storage unit. We found out old 3ds and we reminisced about traveling with them to conventions and places across the world and doing street pass. How much fun we had with such a simple feature and game. So it got me thinking about what other features were on consoles that don't exist today.
1722570466036.png1722570493101.png
Anyone have examples ?

A handheld gaming device. Maybe you should include smartphones and tablets as consoles with touch features and apps

Could probably do with a couple more examples. As Nesh says, the feature you 'miss' is one of portability, so it's not gone but was never present on consoles.

I lament the failures of motion controls and camera gaming. EyeToy was the only video game my 70 year old relatives played (though we never had Wii and they'd have played that). The tech improved but the gaming landscape didn't.

Dreamcast had it's little LCD thing. I'm sure the Sega faithful can gush. ;)

I vaguely recall something on some platform with codes, so you could collect and share them. That wouldn't work nowadays as people would instantly share codes on the 'net.

Could probably do with a couple more examples. As Nesh says, the feature you 'miss' is one of portability, so it's not gone but was never present on consoles.

I lament the failures of motion controls and camera gaming. EyeToy was the only video game my 70 year old relatives played (though we never had Wii and they'd have played that). The tech improved but the gaming landscape didn't.

Dreamcast had it's little LCD thing. I'm sure the Sega faithful can gush. ;)

I vaguely recall something on some platform with codes, so you could collect and share them. That wouldn't work nowadays as people would instantly share codes on the 'net.
It's not really the portability because the steam deck and switch have those.

Its the actual community aspect of the street pass feature.

weren't they called VMU on the dreamcast? I loved it my girlfriend senior year of highschool (99 obviously) used to carry mine all the time to raise the chaos guys from sonic.

Please let's not have another Beyond3Definitions debate on semantics. Let's just look at the games and what they did and how they did them.

We have games like Pokemon Go that are designed around the capabilities offered by these devices. Or what about Angry Birds that became such a huge sensation that begun on tablets and mobiles?

There has been this huge debate about smartphones and tablets competing traditional consoles and handheld systems.

We now have games like Resident Evil 4 Remake on smartphones.

If there is a line to be drawn between handhelds and smartphones/tablets used as gaming systems, then should there be a line between a Nintendo DS and a 360 or not? If there is no line to be drawn between a DS and a 360, should there be a line drawn between a Tablet and a PS5?

Or should we make separate threads for handheld and home console experiences?

There is no useful, meaningful line and we don't need one. eastmen can raise a game feature like "street pass" and someone else can say, "yeah I miss that," and someone else can say, "this other handheld did something similar," and someone else can say, "that sort of thing has moved to mobile like This Game and That Game," and we can have a real discussion about the topic instead of moaning about definitions and criteria.

Kinect and amazing fun games in Xbox 360 era.

That's why I now have two Xbox 369. Oh and why the heck Microsoft delisted KINECT FUN LABS!!!! I still have the save file but it no longer can be re-downloaded

I would like to see a return to physical media and friends being able share games with each other. Four player split screen would also be nice.

Back