Computer instantly resets on MSN messenger login

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Anyone got any useful insight to MSN Messenger? It's quite an important part of my communications network, and now it's gone wrong, it's missed.

My problem is, when I log on to Messenger, about a second afterwards my machine instantly resets, with a quick flash of a blue screen with some info and Hex in the corner that i can't read, it's too quick. This happens with any account. It's obviously a problem with Messenger on my system and not my messenger account.

I've tried reinstalling and I've tried Beta 7. Same problem. I've virus checked several times, and adware/spyware checked. No problems there.

I've contacted support who first tell me how to solve my log in problems. I reply saying that's not my issue and they give exactly the same mail response. I reply again and they tell me how to solve my Webcam difficulties. I'm pretty sure it's a robot and Felix and Yasmin aren't real people.

As to what's caused it, the only changes are a swtich to a wireless network + broadband. I had Messenger working with the same broadband connection. A couple of days ago MSN had some errors and I couldn't log on, the help page showing the service was down. Now the service is running it spells death for my computer. The problem occured even on Ethernet link to the router, so it can't be the WiFi.

Any ideas? I'm totally perplexed. Looks like an unsolvable 'Windows Special' to me :(

First thing to do is to disable reboot on system failure -
control panel -> system -> advanced -> startup and recovery
uncheck automatically restart
then the text displayed on BSOD should give an idea where the problem is.

Thanks for that RedGuard. Doing as you siggested I got an error message i could read. I've mailed it to Messenger support; hopefully they won't reply with instructions on how to add voice-chat to Messenger or something equally inappropriate.

For what it's worth I'll add the error here in case someone understands it...

Code:
*** STOP: 0x00000009 (0x63024426, 0x00000002,0x00000000,0x63024426)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Beginning physical memory dump. Contact people to fix...
cheers,

None at all. I think something similar, as what else uses IRQs, but can't for the life of me see why. Though I've mucked up the hex code for what it's worth.
Code:
*** STOP: 0x00000009
should read
Code:
*** STOP: 0x000000D1
. Guess I should'a been more obvious writing down the figures!

That 'irq not less or equal' bluescreen was an infamous sight during many 3x versions of NV's detonator drivers for tons of users. It's a very weird thought that messenger might be causing graphics driver crashes, but hey, you've already tried everything else right? So why not just for fun try and clear out your current driver (using a driver cleaner utility) and then install a different version? :)

The IRQL stuff happens when the windows thread scheduler makes a sanity check while choosing the next thread to run. Generally, it should be taken as a general error because it may be caused by faulty kernel drivers/software (not part of windows), memory problems, overclocking instability or an imminent terrorist attack targetting your computer. :devilish:

If there are no DLL or SYS files mentioned it's very hard to pinpoint a reason, but I'd suggest taking some of your not essential cards out (or disabling the devices in BIOS). And this is just to avoid reinstalling everything which should be done every once in a while anyway, 6 months or so if it's just a desktop.

You could download the MS debugger. It will most likely be able to identify the culprit driver or dll from analyzing the memory dump generated by the crash.

Back