CoD4: Beta thread

I'm loving this beta but one thing I've learned is how bad I suck at aiming with controllers :( I'm a nub and a half! Oh well, between Halo3 and this I should come upto speed.

i get killed a lot but is fun for the most part, obviously a lot of people are at a very high level already and they have more advanced weapons, plus the chopper thing which is the only thing i dont like

the New phone books are here!!! errr.... I mean my Beta code came today!!!:runaway:

sadly almost no time to play until Tuesday. :devilish:

i get killed a lot but is fun for the most part, obviously a lot of people are at a very high level already and they have more advanced weapons, plus the chopper thing which is the only thing i dont like
choppers are pretty easy to shoot down with RPGs. Just make sure you pay attention to where it's guns are aiming.

i think it breaks the whole multiplayer aspect of it, i have only killed by it once, cause u can find cover too

Wouldn't being forced to take cover be one of the points of the helo? It doesn't need to kill you, just flush you into cover and allow the other team to advance while your team figures out a way to take out the helo.

On second thought, maybe when you die 5 times in a row you should get a helo, seeing as you may need help against the other team at that point :devilish:

i think it breaks the whole multiplayer aspect of it, i have only killed by it once, cause u can find cover too
yeah but you can easily take down the chopper by just using normal guns (as long as it's a gun where the bullets can reach). the helicopter is actually pretty weak but it does two things; it makes it impossible for the enemy to be in the open wherever the helicopter is and it makes them give away their position by having to shoot at it.

If you're playing something like team tactical where most people put on a silencer (decreases range) and everybody is trying to be covert, a helicopter gives a huge advantage and really adds to the tension.

The good thing about the game is that even though you stick with the same host, it shuffles you around so the people that get kill streaks don't always stay on one team.

Question: Do they allow you to disable some of the features? Like the vehicles?

I know they have some different play modes, like realism mode, so I wonder if they have a mode to control unlocks or perks or killing spree rewards?

Question: Do they allow you to disable some of the features? Like the vehicles?

I know they have some different play modes, like realism mode, so I wonder if they have a mode to control unlocks or perks or killing spree rewards?

have not seen that yet but it may just be for the beta

the vehicles are related to having a certain number of kills in a row. in the full release I'm sure you can create a room with rules (at least I'd assume).

played about 1.5 hours so far and it's right up my alley but will post impressions later rather than just to say it rocks! :cool:

Wouldn't being forced to take cover be one of the points of the helo? It doesn't need to kill you, just flush you into cover and allow the other team to advance while your team figures out a way to take out the helo.

On second thought, maybe when you die 5 times in a row you should get a helo, seeing as you may need help against the other team at that point :devilish:

yeah, i have only been playing free for all deathmatch, so the team thing doesn't really apply i dont think

Anyone else keep getting their game stuck on a 'Downloading Game Settings' screen? Used to work fine but now I keep getting that screen and the game won't go past it. Seems to be a common problem.

Edit: Oh you just have to wait out the screen for like 10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hearing a lot of positives about the CoD4 Beta. Here is one of the better pieces of feedback I have seen (from someone I agree a lot with in game taste):

I had some good games in with Phaethon and a buddy of mine tonight.. and I've come to some conclusions. General blanket statements could easily be made about this game, but those impressions are already here (and elsewhere) in spades so I thought I'd take a moment to comment on some of the games other systems.

The gameplay itself is a tremendous improvement over Call of Duty 2. And I don't think I'm saying this from the perspective of a 360 user either. Call of Duty 2 got panned by some gamers on the 360 simply because of the poor implementation of Xbox Live, while on the PC the multiplayer is still extremely popular despite having some issues of its own. This game is a big improvement to Call of Duty's multiplayer gameplay in general and as it stands, it makes every version of the franchise seem out dated.

There are several aspects of the games design that manage to out do previous Call of Duty games, and movement is far from the least important. While it feels like Call of Duty, it's been tweaked to something resembling perfection. All of the stances are the same, but changing stance feels a bit more fluid, and the additional ability to sprint is a welcome. It's hard to judge what's different here, outside of the obvious, but sprinting really does change everything.. and in the end it just feels right.

Another stunning change is the selection of weapons and tools available to the user. This includes modern guns, advanced explosive devices such at C4, and multiple types of non-lethal grenades. The assault rifles are a dominant force, but nothing is so overpowered that it locks you into a decision. There are plenty of people who just feel more comfortable using the M4 full time, where personally I'll take the M16 into battle in nearly every situation. The difference is so much more than cosmetic.. bringing a new age of firearms into the mix is largely what has made this such a successful transition.

There are other new gameplay systems. Some subtle, some not so subtle. You can pick up enemy frags and toss them back--a subtle upgrade over COD2.. but on the other hand there are rewards given to you for achieving certain kill streaks. As I'm sure most people are already aware, you can call on a UAV to track your opponents, as well as an air strike or a support helo. These systems all feel pretty natural, despite changing the way the game is played dramatically. I'm not sure that I'd want any of these features present in a clan match or not, but regardless they do manage to make team deathmatch seem like a fresh game.. that's no small achievement.

Now finally we've come to perhaps the most controversial aspect of the game: The RPG elements and the "perks" it brings to the table. If you've ever see me rant about BF2142, you'd know that I'm against such systems invading this genre. The concept exists to increase the potential replay value of a genre with endless replayability, and it stands to trivialize balance. It's my opinion, from what we've seen so far, that the upgrade system in Call of Duty 4 is relatively fair. New players will never be put at a massive disadvantage, since all of the default kits come with their own perks, as well as a fair weapon. The level of customization is nice though, and it helps tremendously to create a loadout that fits your personal preference and style of play.

Hopefully, some of the more dramatic systems here can be put in check within the compeditive community. The truth is that some of these concepts aren't really ready for that environment, and one thing that IW has done extremely well is to make sure that they've created something that's ultimately fun to the core. If you play in "hardcore" mode, which hopefully removes many of these mechanics (as well as most of the HUD), you'd still have something that's fundamentally fun on your hands.. and also something that may rest well within the realm of balance.

To conclude, the game rocks.. Give me a stripped down hardcore mode, sans customization, and I'm so very sold. Hell--I'm already so very sold without it--I've gone from certain that I'd buy the PC version to considering both the PC and 360 versions of the game.. just so I can play with some XBL buddies as well.

Call of Duty 4 is awesome :)

My concerns about the RPG elements and airstrikes have abated.

This beta is more well done than a crapload of game released. Still haven't touched bioshock. This gave me the old feeling of when I first started with CS and if that is any indication, I'm hooked.

Infact, that old feeling had be playing CS:S for the first time in over a year. Too bad I still can't aim with the controller as good as kb/mouse but it's just muscle memory. It'll get there over time. I'm still quite new to console shooters.

Props to IW for this game and MS for having Live and offering it up for a Beta. Good times!

This beta is more well done than a crapload of game released. Still haven't touched bioshock. This gave me the old feeling of when I first started with CS and if that is any indication, I'm hooked.

Infact, that old feeling had be playing CS:S for the first time in over a year. Too bad I still can't aim with the controller as good as kb/mouse but it's just muscle memory. It'll get there over time. I'm still quite new to console shooters.

Props to IW for this game and MS for having Live and offering it up for a Beta. Good times!

agreed and incredibly beautiful to look at as well.

off-topic but you can unlock a 60 fps mode in bioshock in the options.

in the beta it was odd that for the light machine gun (specifically the SAW), when you do enough of it's challenges to unlock putting a grip on it (which greatly increases the accuracy to around that of a assault rifle/sniper) it takes away your first perk. I would have preferred they made the light machine gun a little less accurate instead so that I could still carry an rocket launcher (don't need that accuracy when you have no scope).

and one problem I noticed on the map crash, is that in the team spawn area next to the auto shop, if you sat in the corner of the balcony of the building where they spawn in you could easily get like six kills in a row since nobody looks there. It's hard to get up there but either they don't think you're above them when they see your shooting on their radar or it's too much of a blindspot when they go to the second floor.

Back