CNN asks: Next Game Boy this year?

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/28/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

Chris Morris at CNN.com said:
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) – While Nintendo's next generation console gaming system likely won't hit living rooms until 2006, that doesn't mean the company won't introduce new hardware this year. A new analyst report suggests the company is planning to ship the next version of the Game Boy portable gaming system by the end of 2005.

If so, that would be the third new handheld gaming system in as many years for Nintendo, whose Nintendo DS was one of the hottest items of the 2004 holiday season and Game Boy Advance SP was one of the must-have gifts of 2003. The new Game Boy would face stiff competition, though, from Sony's PSP – which will hit U.S. stores in March.

"We believe it is likely that the next version of the Game Boy Advance SP will ship as early as this holiday, ahead of most expectations of calendar year 2006," wrote P.J. McNealy of American Technology Research.

The new system, he predicts, will launch at a $99 price point, with prices on the Game Boy Advance falling to $49. Nintendo DS prices, he wrote, will likely remain unchanged.

Nintendo representatives were unavailable for comment.

Official confirmation of the new Game Boy could come as early as March 10, when Nintendo president Satoru Iwata is scheduled to give a keynote speech entitled "The Heart of a Gamer" at the upcoming Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco.

It's unclear at this point what sort of advances might be found in a new Game Boy. While this may be a graphical leap forward like many next generation consoles, it could just as easily be an incremental step, slightly enhancing the company's current offering.

Releasing a new Game Boy on the heels of the Nintendo DS, which features two screens and a touch pad, might seem a bit odd, but Nintendo has been quite vocal in saying the two systems are built for different audiences. The Game Boy has traditionally been aimed at children, while Nintendo hopes to reach an older audience with the DS.

McNealy said the numbers seem to be backing Nintendo up.

"The Nintendo DS has, by and large, been additive to Nintendo software revenue and units sales and not cannibalistic," he wrote. "Even with the DS launch in November, GBA software revenue and unit sales were up double-digits in December and January."

That's not to say it has all been smooth sailing for the DS. While the system enjoyed tremendous success during the holiday period, software sales have been rather disappointing. So far in 2005, new title releases have been minimal, which has stymied the system's momentum.

And the imminent launch of the PSP will only make the fight harder. Sony's system has been getting rave reviews from overseas users – and demand will almost certainly exceed supply when the PSP launches in the U.S.

But a new hardware launch would help keep Nintendo top of mind with consumers during the holiday season. Sony will be heavily promoting the PSP as December draws near – and Microsoft is expected to launch the next version of its Xbox gaming system this fall. Without a new device, Nintendo could easily be overshadowed.

There's also the real threat of piracy with the current generation of Game Boys. Although piracy of GBA games has not been a major problem in North America, the company has seen a dramatic rise of digital theft in the Asia-Pacific region. The cartridges used for GBA cards are fairly easy for hackers to crack and the games are often posted online. The DS, which uses flash memory cards, has not had the same problems, writes McNealy.

A new Game Boy could give a boost to some game publishers. While industry leader Electronic Arts (Research) and Take Two Interactive Software (Research) do not have big presences on Nintendo's handhelds, THQ (Research) makes a large number of games for the system. And Activision (Research) has shown an increased interest in them recently.

"We believe that a new GBA SP could mean between $10 million to $20 million of additional revenue for both Activision and THQ in FY06, and an additional $0.02 to $0.04 in earnings," wrote McNealy.

The question is, though: Will Nintendo's audience be willing to shell out another hundred bucks (or more) for the third year in a row? Or will they invest their gaming dollars elsewhere?

Announcing a GBA successor this early could really be negative for Nintendo.
The DS is selling quite well, so there's no need to rush a potential GB-next.

Personally, I'm sure we won't hear any serious news, about a GB-next from Nintendo, before next year's E3 (2006).

...Except if Nintendo decided to hire some executives from Sega or something.

The DS is doing well without any competition. I think the PSP is going to shock people with the interest it garners. I was 100% behind the DS when it came out, but as of late I'm thinking the PSP sounds like a more interesting portable gaming platform. They are going to give nintendo a serious run for it's money.

I really hope, if this news is true, that this new GBA is some sort of GBASPSP, if I may say.

Or if it's a more capable hardware, it must work like GBC, features enhancements for new the games when played on this new GBA, but, thoses same new games, remain retrocompatible with GBA/SP.

DS was a huge mistake, they've done the classical mistake in the computer/videogames industry of putting to many internally competing products into the market at once. And they are competing for the same money, no matter what Nintendo says.
People who bought the DS are going to get really pissed when Nintendo announces this, but they have to, else PSP will gobble up the portable marked before Nintendo can even blink.
I really don’t get the DS, you put a touch screen on a standard (if quite dated) handheld and suddenly it's a third pillar?!
Instead of wasting money on that extra screen they should have used the budget on a larger die for the SOC and some external RAM. They should have made it fully backwards compatible and used a real SD slot so it could easily be used as an MP3 player. Maybe they could have made a deal with Matsushita to make 3G in a GBA cartridge. Now that would have been a killer app!
The could easily have leapfrogged PSP with a combination of brandawareness, price, backwards compatibility, popular IP and the promise of some nice - other than game - addon features.
As it is now, DS is hopelessly behind PSP technically in a way that is going to be very apparent to the average joe consumer.

DS is most likely designed as an interim PSP stopgap, but wouldn’t Nintendo have been better of lowering the price of the GBA SP and then hurry up and finish the design of GBA Next? Instead as it is now, they are going to create FUD within their own ranks.

The DS is doing well without any competition

Have you forgotten that PSP has been out in Japan almost exactly as long as DS. DS has some competition and is still doing well.

gameboy 2 next year

This year they will phase out the gba . Ds will drop to 100$ and replace the gba .

Gb2 wont be backwards compat . It will be gamecube lvl graphics and feature two 4inch screens :)

It seems that one of the most thrusted, videogame related, source on the internet, Spong..., has its version of this story. With more details that have been... confirmed to Spong... by some "Nintendo staffers"

http://news.spong.com/x?art=8385

Game Boy Advance 2 set to stun E3 – DS to evolve into PDA

New model to launch this year – Climb-down looms for NCL

28th Feb 2005

The new model of the Game Boy Advance will be shown at Nintendo’s E3 press conference this year in what will be one of the most remarkable moments in recent videogame history.

The unit will be a true gaming machine and will come equipped with a large high-quality back-lit screen and analogue controls, very much, one might argue, like Sony’s PSP.

Nintendo staffers have confirmed to SPOnG.com that preliminary hardware will be shown both at the firm’s conference and encased alongside the Nintendo Revolution on the showfloor.

Indeed, SPOnG has been privvy to the emergence of the next-generation of Game Boy Advance for some time, though little more than it’s E3 debut was known.

As this news breaks, perhaps the most pertinent point to be mulled is exactly how Nintendo is going to explain the situation to fans and, of course, early adopters of the Nintendo DS. The answer to this conundrum is quite possibly the most incredible climb-down the games industry has ever witnessed.

Specifically, Nintendo will unveil a suite of PDA-focussed software for the DS powered by recently licensed Palm OS technology. The machine will evolve from a pure gaming machine into a PDA equipped to play Nintendo 64 quality games. Essentially, Nintendo believes that with the right software, it has a high-powered, wireless-enabled PDA capable of playing games of a higher standard than any competing device.

Picking up the pieces, however, will be something of a PR nightmare, something that Nintendo is fully aware of. The DS, announced so soon after the PSP was unveiled by Sony, was effectively a spoiler machine, aimed at snatching away market share from SCEI. Although this has been categorically denied by the Kyoto giant, the revelation that a new Game Boy, which in essence appears to be a PSP with a Nintendo badge, confirms this belief beyond any doubt.

The new Game Boy will be based around existing Nintendo GameCube hardware and will be, when it launches in the US and Japan towards the end of this year, the most powerful handheld console on the planet. SPOnG also believes it likely that the machine will make use of GameCube software. Revolution connectivity was confirmed.

By way of damage control, Nintendo must now cling to its ever-present third-pillar line regarding the DS. The firm has always claimed that the Dual Screen represents not a furthering of the Game Boy range, but something quite different. It would seem that those well-placed foundations will now be required to carry the hefty bulk of a complete reversal of application for a machine that was launched as a gaming device and will, within months, have its key role significantly altered.

It's Spong news, so I won't comment on it.
I post this news just because of the CNN article on the same subject.
I also posted it because taking potshots at Spong is fun, it's so 2002, but it's still fun.

Ali-G said:
The DS is doing well without any competition

Have you forgotten that PSP has been out in Japan almost exactly as long as DS. DS has some competition and is still doing well.

Have you forgotten that PSP has indeed been outselling DS since beginning of the year? It may be still ahead in terms of hardware, but sales certainly could be better - unless of course, "doing well" is suddenly measured similar to GameCube's questionable "success" where the once-upon-a-time leading brandname in the industry is nothing more but struggling for a very distant 2nd / 3rd place. It's all perception I suppose. :?

They announced that deal with ATI to create a GBA 2 a while back didnt they?

But the most advanced chip that they have is the imageon 2300, and that is nowhere near gamecube level graphics its about on par with goforce.

So how are they gonna achieve these GC level graphics?

The only technology out there right now that can beat the PSP is the PowerVR MBX.

Phil, PSP has been outselling DS by a little bit in the last few weeks yeah. But DS still has sold more then twice what PSP has in Japan. We'll see what PSP is selling when it reaches the sort of userbase DS is at.

How can you describe selling more then twice what PSP has sold as "struggling for a very distant second". It really must be all about perception.

I can believe the PDA stuff about DS, that's seemed like it was going to happen for a while, now. As for the GBA2/GBASPSP stuff, I don't know if I believe either of them. A GBASPSP seems kinda stupid, especially if released at the same pricepoint. I don't even know what kinds of upgrades they could really do to make it worth purchasing. Any ideas? A price drop to 79 bucks, and a DS drop to 119 or 129 wouldn't be bad, but a new SP? I don't see the point.

The GCP idea sure seems tasty, but I don't know if I can buy it happening so soon. I had already thought they were going to announce Revolution at E3, am I wrong on that? Adding in PDA Cababilities for DS and GCP all into one show seems like a hell of a lot of stuff to announce at once. If they did it though it would make it one hell of a show. I just don't see it happening yet.

Clashman said:
I can believe the PDA stuff about DS, that's seemed like it was going to happen for a while, now. As for the GBA2/GBASPSP stuff, I don't know if I believe either of them. A GBASPSP seems kinda stupid, especially if released at the same pricepoint. I don't even know what kinds of upgrades they could really do to make it worth purchasing. Any ideas? A price drop to 79 bucks, and a DS drop to 119 or 129 wouldn't be bad, but a new SP? I don't see the point.

Well, the PDA stuff was more or less "confirmed" by Planetgamecube some while ago.
AS for the Gameboy2, never again will Nintendo plan, unveil and release a console in the same year. Look at the scarcity of DS games...

Ali-G said:
Phil, PSP has been outselling DS by a little bit in the last few weeks yeah. But DS still has sold more then twice what PSP has in Japan. We'll see what PSP is selling when it reaches the sort of userbase DS is at.

How can you describe selling more then twice what PSP has sold as "struggling for a very distant second". It really must be all about perception.
You can't really measure the full demand for either yet, as both have been limited by manufacturing capacity at launch, and we don't precisely know their continuing totals (since the DS is split between many territories, and the PSP building up to do so in a matter of weeks) to know if that's still the case.

Software sales in Japan seems to be about even in relation to their hardware sales (with the PSP minorly ahead), but I think both are behind the kind of sales they were expecting.

We're going to have to wait at least a full year to take any realistic look at their sales trends--and at that point we'll see whether next generation's mainstream consoles will pull more interest from them as well. Currently, though, there's no comparative statement anyone can really stand behind to show a huge difference between the two.

... the point being: PSP or no PSP DS is doing quite well for now. HW sales exceeded Nintendo's own expectations by >%20... Besides, wasn't there a word from them GBA2 is planned for 2006/7? Depending on DS's success?

TEXAN said:

But the most advanced chip that they have is the imageon 2300, and that is nowhere near gamecube level graphics its about on par with goforce.

The only technology out there right now that can beat the PSP is the PowerVR MBX.
The PVR MBX is hardly a match for the PSP.

Kalin said:
... the point being: PSP or no PSP DS is doing quite well for now. HW sales exceeded Nintendo's own expectations by >%20... Besides, wasn't there a word from them GBA2 is planned for 2006/7? Depending on DS's success?
...and software sales were under by at least 33%.

That's part of what I mean, though--we don't have enough information, nor have we been able to watch the sales trends for a long time, nor match them against ONLY consumer without manufacturing limitations on top... It's rather hard to know what's going on right now. Of my friends who picked up a DS (3), they all actually use it more to play their GBA games on (better screens and liking to hold the DS over a GBA-SP) than play any of the DS games themselves (Mario DS quickly turned into mini-game-fest as well...) I think that's somewhat typical of the marketplace right now, as "new systems" are popular and interesting, but these portables in particular will carry a bit of confusion as people try to figure out just what they want out of them. Software sales are lagging as they wait to see what will happen.

After a year on the market, they'll have more the game selection they're looking for, multi-media and online ventures will be more fleshed out, more performance and quality information will be out there, production will be likely (hopefully) be able to outstrip demand... and people looking at sales breakdowns will have much more ability to interpret what they mean. ;)

With this news (assuming it's true), I'm less inclined to buy a DS now. As of yet, (for me) there still isn't much of a reason to buy one so I was waiting till some killer aps came out for it. But now with the true successor to the DS (edit - I meant 'true successor to the GBA') possibly coming out soon, I'll probably end up not buying the DS at all.

I wonder if this also negatively impacts development for the DS as some developers may simply eschew the DS for the tried & true GBA2(assuming it's a beefed up GBA). There are only so many development teams out there and except for a few, they can't easily support multiple platforms very well especially when one platform (the DS) is vastly different than the rest. (I mean that it offers dual screens, stylus, etc - so the game play could be vastly different IF the developers choose to spend the time customizing the DS version - but the question is, will they?)

Oh well, this gets into a whole other discussion about ports and how they impact (postively or negatively) the DS.

Iron Tiger said:
TEXAN said:

The PVR MBX is hardly a match for the PSP.

Have you done a spec comparison?

Back