CINTRE 30GB USB 2.0 external HD.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
While hunting across some laptop memory I came across this CINTRE 30GB USB 2.0 external HD for $72us and after noticing that it needs no external power supply thought it was about the kewlest little geektool I'd heard of in a while and I ordered one.

Think I pulled a stupid? :| I just think having something to transfer around/carry around utilities/proggies on would be hella useful.

I recently upgraded my laptop hard drive from a 4200RPM/60GB HD to 5400RPM/80GB HD. The old hard drive went in a 2.5" enclosure. Its USB bus powered & USB 2.0. It's the size of a palm pilot. Cool indeed.

mreman4k said:
I recently upgraded my laptop hard drive from a 4200RPM/60GB HD to 5400RPM/80GB HD. The old hard drive went in a 2.5" enclosure. Its USB bus powered & USB 2.0. It's the size of a palm pilot. Cool indeed.
How is it for speed? (The 4200RPM/60GB one, it sounds similar to what I'm getting)

Also, is it a huge drain on a laptop? I'm figuring of using it in conjecture with a laptop I'm tweaking for me old man with a 4Gb HD on it...

I hate being a thicky, but what should I compare "Transfer rate up to 480 Mbps" to?

Faster than a CD but slower than me ethernet? As fast as my son's PSP duo card with the magic gate shit? (Sorry, it shipped and I'm all excited. :oops: )

digitalwanderer said:
I hate being a thicky, but what should I compare "Transfer rate up to 480 Mbps" to?
Marketting fluff.

USB-HS supports "up to 480Mbps". The drive won't get anywhere near that.

RussSchultz said:
Marketting fluff.

USB-HS supports "up to 480Mbps". The drive won't get anywhere near that.
Thanks Russ, I was afraid of that. It looked way too good to be true. :(

Still, I'm looking forward to this lil toy...I still think it looks like a real "geek's swiss army knife", so to speak.

Damn it, I just pulled the UPS guy over down the street and he's swearing up and down that he does NOT have my USB harddrive on his truck even though I know he's wrong! o_O

He's going to "double-check" for me, I just pinned a copy of my package tracking to me front tree to help him....but this is the first time for me that UPS hasn't been an absolute dream for me and I'm a bit peeved! :?

He just dropped it off about 15 minutes ago and I am in love, this thing is faboo!!!

It took 3 minutes to upload a 1.5Gb movie to it, a lot better than I thought. I'm loading it up now and I'm quite impressed, it's exceeding my expectations.

It's also a lot smaller than I thought it would be. :)

looks like what I use my ipod for.

except I also listen to lossless audio and stuff.

Your iPod ran a lossier algorithm on your wallet than did digi's HD, though. :)

The Baron said:
looks like what I use my ipod for.

except I also listen to lossless audio and stuff.
I'd have prefered a laptop with a big hard drive, but this is all I could afford. :(

It's a LOT slower when used with a PC with only USB1.1 capability....the same 3 minute upload took 15 minutes to download. :?

Back