Chronicles of Riddick.....on PS2!?!?!?

AlNom

Legend
Link
Vin Diesel "working on" bringing Escape from Butcher Bay to the PlayStation 2 by holiday '04.

In an audio interview posted over a month ago on movie site ComingSoon.net, actor-turned game impresario Vin Diesel states that the PlayStation 2 version of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is in the works and being primed for a release this holiday season.

In the interview, Diesel says he is "trying to get the PS2 game [to retailers] by Christmas; to release with the DVD."

In the interview, Diesel's tone suggests frustration at the game not being released sooner for the PS2: When asked by the interviewer why the game has been an Xbox exclusive, he says "That's a question I have."

Given Diesel's resolve to address the game's current production, gamers can consider the question of when the game is due to the PlayStation 2 platform moot. Expect to see the game--if all goes according to Diesel--toward the end of the year.

Last week, news of an upcoming PC version of the title filtered into the public domain via entertainment bible Variety.

VU Games had not replied with a comment by press time.

By Curt Feldman -- GameSpot
POSTED: 07/06/04 03:10 PM PST

$10 says it'll run....but not very well.

Rest assured it will reworked.
The basic gameplay should stay intact, but the engine will either have to be scaled back or completely redone.

It'd be interesting if they did get it decently working, afterall they did get it working very smoothly on the xbox :D The textures may have to be scaled back even more though..... :(

so.... buddy...Carmack, about Doom 3 on consoles.......... :LOL: ;)

The shadows are pretty much a must for the game so.....not sure how much can be scaled back.

Considering Diesel's understanding of graphics technology and console development is probably about roughly equal to my knowledge of steroids abuse and bodybuilding, I really couldn't care less about what he has to say about the game's release on PS2. ;)

On a more serious note, when I first heard of the game (after the first screenshots appeared) it was already mentioned it'd be coming for Xbox first and later for PS2. The question is thus not wether it will be ported or not, but rather how well it will be done. I'd be impressed if they can manage to port a truly accurate version of the game to PS2, the shadow technology and a couple other graphical features will be pretty hard to do at a decent framerate. Bigger miracles have happened though...

Nice to see the corporate world turning.

"It's all about the Benjamin's baby..."

:rolleyes:

20040706-DK194511.gif
20040706-DK19478.gif

Oh well. Can't expect Vin to understand the positives of exclusives.

Gollum said:
Considering Diesel's understanding of graphics technology and console development is probably about roughly equal to my knowledge of steroids abuse and bodybuilding, I really couldn't care less about what he has to say about the game's release on PS2. ;)

my thoughts exactly :D

In the interview, Diesel's tone suggests frustration at the game not being released sooner for the PS2: When asked by the interviewer why the game has been an Xbox exclusive, he says "That's a question I have."

I wonder if they bothered to explain it to him :LOL:, although... it could be applied to the case of the PC instead of the PS2 :p

On a more serious note, when I first heard of the game (after the first screenshots appeared) it was already mentioned it'd be coming for Xbox first and later for PS2. The question is thus not wether it will be ported or not, but rather how well it will be done. I'd be impressed if they can manage to port a truly accurate version of the game to PS2, the shadow technology and a couple other graphical features will be pretty hard to do at a decent framerate. Bigger miracles have happened though...

might give JC something to think about... ;)

As Gollum already stated, VU Games from day one decided that the game will have a PS2 version.

And about the quality of the PS2 version, i don't think the shadowing technique will be the problem (Remember the fact that GS is a 16x0 which means that stencil shadowing is not its main problem (with respect to Xbox of course))
The problem IMHO, will be the dot3 BM that CoR uses, especially for the models that uses the APS technique.

One thing that i don't know is who is doing the PS2 game, if it's Starbreeze then... wait and see.

APS :?:

ah right... I remember... DOT3 is something that isn't supported in hardware on the PS2...

That interview is old news. It was being discussed in the teamxbox forum around the time of the game's release. Some were puzzled because they remember that someone from Starbreeze announced that the PS2 version was scrapped.

Alstrong said:

Appearance Preserving Simplification, it's when you generate a normal map from a high poly model, and map it on a simplified (poly count wise) model.
To make it simple, it's also known as Polybump (the tech copyrighted by Crytek (Far Cry)). Link

:D

IGN has the PS2 version listed as "cancelled" as well, and Starbreeze only had the Xbox version mentioned on their site. (So are also missing the PC version recently announced.)

It's a bit "who knows?" right now, though I'm wondering what's going on if Vin talks about it "being worked on" and VU Games says "no plans." I guess we'll find out when we find out.

The link has been edited since Alstrong posted it:
Given Diesel's resolve to address the game's current production, gamers can consider the question of when the game is due to the PlayStation 2 platform moot. Or can they? A VU Games spokesperson checked in with the following comment today, saying that "at this time there are no plans to do Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay on PlayStation 2."

Or maybe after its success MS made some sort of deal to keep it a console exclusive atleast??

Deepak said:
Or maybe after its success MS made some sort of deal to keep it a console exclusive atleast??

There's an exclusive deal, that's a fact, but we're not sure it's a definitive one...

Too bad about the update -> ps2 port planned. Would have been interesting...

*hopes for good PC port* :D

Vysez said:
Alstrong said:

Appearance Preserving Simplification, it's when you generate a normal map from a high poly model, and map it on a simplified (poly count wise) model.
To make it simple, it's also known as Polybump (the tech copyrighted by Crytek (Far Cry)). Link

:D

blah :p I just call it normal mapping.

Oh well. Can't expect Vin to understand the positives of exclusives
It looks to me noone has even explained to him how the game is going to be distributed and endorsed (I'm pretty sure MS has paid exclusivity on it, thus the "Only on Xbox" logo on the box), which is completely weird as his own company was involved in the game's production. It's also weird that the game was very underadvertised, again unusual for big exclusives, plus it's not even selling that great. Frankly, he has all the right to be annoyed by the situation regarding the game, and to think that it would have done better if it was multiplatform.

it probably never made it through conept approval for PS2. Whenever a publisher says there's "no plan" to release a game on PS2, it's 90% because sony rejected the title, not because MS paid to make it exclusive. MS doesn't pay for many thrid party exclusives as often as they used to.

Sony rejects a lot of games at the concept phase, as they can afford to. You wouldn't beleive the number of games each week that get turned down by SCEA. Last year when I talked to the guys htere, they told me there were up to rejecting about 20 games each week, and that was around july. They reject more and more games each year, mainly becuase more and more are submitted. nintendo and MS rarely reject anything.

Back