Cherno Reactions Reactions *spawn* [2020]

This is a much better discussion to be had than what's been going on. Supporting 8 platforms and with various modes while managing to use PS5 specific features is just impressive. Its a cross gen game but not lacking in the visuals department with dynamic time of day and various weather cycle while maintaining a decent performance across all modes. And not being delayed. That is impressive.

That video is from 2017 when it was released. I think they upgraded the models and the game in with the SPEC II about a year ago. Also you are aware you are comparing a 2020 "next-gen" game with a game released in 2017? :LOL:
Yea, I'm well aware. I was only doing a youtube of GTS Rally, to see how they handled rally after implementing it into the system. If you have a more recent video, that you think has better environments feel free to share.

Though I must say, there's a certain level of irony here that you invalidate my video choice as being inadequate representation of a product, one that is already released, developed by a studio who spent the entire generation creating a single product for a single sku and has a large budget to cover it and is routinely slow and delayed.

But you are okay with in-progress work from a developer who will need to release this to 7 platforms (8 /w PC), 2 of which are launching next month with immature kits, with 13 game type modes, with a smaller budget and still make target dates as an adequate representation of the final product -- and the only thing I complained about is that the encoding was so bad it significantly worse than people interpret it to be.

Last edited:
Everyone take a breather. Let's talk about something more important in gaming.
Next-generation b:yes::yes:bs physics!
3e461af038e9a10d1e86b3bd8758dc15.gif

Politically Correct crowd, please don't take this seriously...:nope:

I just find it funny because the game will likely look, run, play the same on both consoles. Whether it ends up looking as bad as the beta(?) or looking spectacular, it will be the same for both.

Then there's comparisons with games that are a few years old and not next-gen, which the game is supposed to be.

I just find it funny because the game will likely look, run, play the same on both consoles. Whether it ends up looking as bad as the beta(?) or looking spectacular, it will be the same for both.

Then there's comparisons with games that are a few years old and not next-gen, which the game is supposed to be.
I hear ya.

but at the same time this particular title is being released nov 6 on current consoles. And nov 10 and 12 for next gen.

it’s not really a next gen title. It’s great that they got haptic feedback triggers and stuff like that, I will have to see reviews there to see if it’s worth getting instead on PS5.
But like, it’s like calling enhanced titles as a next gen title.

I don’t think dirt5 was designed the way that the exclusives are with respect to next gen in mind. I don’t mind shitting on Halo for that reason, because MS is responsible for the end to end pipeline, but I have to be less critical of these smaller studios. MS is only providing marketing support here. As far as I can see Dirt 5 has done more to support PS5 than Xbox.

The title of Cherno's Dirt 5 video is kind of clickbait, if it wasn't obvious from the selective CAPS which seems to be standard operating procedure on YouTube. Let's forget about the title and discuss the content of his video--which, again, as he stresses, is a hot take that he doesn't take that seriously and doesn't prep for. I don't recall him slinging the "mobile" tag in the video itself--he was disappointed but more measured in his criticism. I'm shocked that the ground (lack of) texture that iroboto has singled out is solely a compression artifact, but, live and learn. That was my biggest issue with that specific Dirt 5 video, and it turns out the fault may not lie with the game.

Dirt 5 is cross-gen and covering a lot of bases and it's a racer, which don't always lend themselves to frame-by-frame perfection (GTS looks great overall but it leans heavily on LOD to target 60fps).

I'd still rather hear about what technical/terminology quibbles Cherno has with Alex's Halo Infinite vid than why Dirt 5's visuals don't set people's hair on fire. It would be more edifying.

Everyone take a breather. Let's talk about something more important in gaming.
Next-generation b:yes::yes:bs physics!
3e461af038e9a10d1e86b3bd8758dc15.gif

Politically Correct crowd, please don't take this seriously...:nope:
DF's wayyy ahead of you. They've been ogling analyzing DOA6 in their last two XSX videos as an example of how lifting framerate can separate the XSX from the X1X. ;)

Last edited:
I'm sorry but if you are a professional who is going to critique the work of people in our profession in a very public manner. I would think you have enough empathy to do so in a fair and balanced manner.

You shouldn't be doing hot takes of video randomly sent you by anonymous people. What's next? A hot take of a demonstration shot from somebody's phone?

I don't care how technical savvy someone may be, if they aren't trying to review in an honest fashion, I don't have use of their critique. If this guy was a GPU designer and was critiquing performance of two different GPUs in two setups that shared neither the same CPUs nor memory setups, how seriously would you take the guy's opinion? Due diligence matters and Dirt 5 gameplay is readily on the net from different sources. There is enough material to readily parse out video artifacts from rendering flaws.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be doing hot takes of video randomly sent you by anonymous people.

While I prefer more considered analysis (like DF) I disagree that he shouldn't be doing this. He's up front about what he's doing with these videos and reason why many creators on YouTube make these videos is because they are quick to produce, often not much longer than the video itself depending on whether you're doing any editing or post-production and he clearly isn't. Contrast with the work that DF obviously put into their videos - hence why I support them on Patreon.

I can only re-iterate the sentiment I expressed a few pages back, a more healthily approach to content you don't like is to just ignore it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that we know Dirt 5 uses VRS (short clip with VRS visualizations), can we say VRS is jointly responsible with YouTube compression for the lack of road texture detail that some of us freaked out over harped on?

Also, they mentioned “where we traditionally used particle effects to create large dust clouds for example, we’re using volumetric rendering instead which has more of a fixed cost.” I know tott brought up a FH4 example (which was smoke vs the dirt and snow we’ve seen with D5, IIRC). Is FH4 using the same technique? Are the differences down to the type of effect, with smoke lingering longer than dirt/snow? Dust would be comparable to smoke but I can’t remember if there were examples of that.

Edit: I thought I was imagining that one side of the road sometimes looked less detailed than the other, but that VRS visualization shows that to sometimes be the case.

Last edited:
We’ve all learned (relearned, as I forgot the lessons of the XSX and PS5 launch “live streams”) to take random YT videos with coarse blocks of MOBILE salt. Does gamersyde (IIRC) still offer HQ video downloads?

Edit: He could apologize for the clickbait title. It cheapens his brand.

Why would he need to do apology? He is only dissecting specific videos. Maybe whoever made that video should not have published it. What cherno should do is look through the new video and give new opinion. Opinions can and should change as new information becomes available.
probably the correct way to do it; yes. Just make a new video after the title is released etc.

Sounds like Cherno needs to revisit the game & offer an apology.

Tommy McClain

Why? I could understand an apology if the information was available then and he carelessly missed it, but it wasn't. Plus, the vast majority of game engine visuals analysis by DF, NX, Cherno, and the rest are still primarily personal opinions and observations without knowing the full details from the actual developers themselves. For me anyhow, it's the gamers, especially the warring fanboys who blows things out of proportion.

It was an asshole thing to say. He could have still have provided the opinion without calling it "mobile". Even if he redoes the video, the damage is already done. At the least he could say is "sorry". But in this day & age it's OK to be an asshole. :/

Tommy McClain

Sounds like Cherno needs to revisit the game & offer an apology.

Tommy McClain
Where's the Dirt 5 video that you think shows that Cherno should apologise? If you think there's a XBSX video that does that, please drop him a link in his community and ask him to re-analyse. He asked for XBSX videos of games. Dirt 5 was the first one he got since it was the first XBSX game showing gameplay.

It was an asshole thing to say. He could have still have provided the opinion without calling it "mobile". Even if he redoes the video, the damage is already done. At the least he could say is "sorry". But in this day & age it's OK to be an asshole. :/

Tommy McClain

If cherno does new video and it addresses issues then your comment above could be seen as not so great as it implies things that might not be true. I don't get feeling cherno is asshole, he calls it as he sees it in videos. It's not his fault if he is given bad material to comment on.

We've been over this already, right? The original video he used was quite shite and not on the same level as all the other Dirt 5 videos and with him being a regular YouTube Video content creator should know how to spot YouTube compression artifacts. Despite all that, he should know better than to use clickbait titles.

Well Azbat said Cherno should revisit the game and offer an apology. I say he should provide a video of the game on XBSX and ask Cherno to re-visit.

Back