CD prices officially dropped. It's about time.

Chris123234 said:
I seriously doubt a website specializing in mass downloads of mp3 files is going to run out of bandwidth :?

Why not? Particulary during peak download times (new releases, etc.)

And if X is selling @ 1.00 and Y is selling @ 1.50 people will go to X and buy it. Just like gas prices. People will go to the guy on the right side of the road intead of the guy on the left if its cheaper.

Then how does that gas station with the consistently higher-price stay in business? ;)

Couple reasons: I certainly agree that people are fickle with their $$, but they are also fickle about their time. I know that if I see a gas station that's charging a bit more, and has no cars in line...I'll go there vs. the station across the street that's a bit cheaper, but I'd have to wait 5 minutes.

If I go to site X and they say "wait is 5 minutes" (like many download sites for game demos where you wait in line if you don't "subscribe"), I might go to another site...even if they charge, if that means I get instant gratification.

There are also other factors that can distinguish one service from another. One might offer "cheap, but low bit-rate MP3s", another "more expensive, high bit-rate MP3s." These can of course also be offered by the same service....but the point is the market will determine how much of a premium people are willing to pay for the higher quality (more bandiwdth sapping) MP3s...

You and all your pseudo-scientific marketspeak goobledygook! It's all nonsense!

The consumers want $.03 non-compressed tracks on demand NOW! Give them to us... it's only FAIR!

Sorry, couldn't help it. I think any further serious attempts for rational arguments in this thread are falling on deaf ears... or at least those occupied at the moment by stolen property. ;)

Joe DeFuria said:
Why not? Particulary during peak download times (new releases, etc.)

It will be a constant flow of downloads thats why. Not a site that spikes when Britney releases her new song and then becomes stagnant til Justin releases his... (they could just get more bandwidth in preparation for the new release anyways... Its not like all of the sudden one day a song appears out of nowhere.)

Joe DeFuria said:
Then how does that gas station with the consistently higher-price stay in business? ;)

Couple reasons: I certainly agree that people are fickle with their $$, but they are also fickle about their time. I know that if I see a gas station that's charging a bit more, and has no cars in line...I'll go there vs. the station across the street that's a bit cheaper, but I'd have to wait 5 minutes.

If I go to site X and they say "wait is 5 minutes" (like many download sites for game demos where you wait in line if you don't "subscribe"), I might go to another site...even if they charge, if that means I get instant gratification.

There are also other factors that can distinguish one service from another. One might offer "cheap, but low bit-rate MP3s", another "more expensive, high bit-rate MP3s." These can of course also be offered by the same service....but the point is the market will determine how much of a premium people are willing to pay for the higher quality (more bandiwdth sapping) MP3s...

There wont be a line because all downloaders will be paying for the service. Of course it is always possible... anythings possible...

And I seriously doubt that there wont be a standard for mp3's on these types of sites. Even kazaa's "standard" (yes I know there isnt a standard but there is a vast majority) is 128 kb/s

Back