CD/DVD scratching in 360 kiosks

Well, if it does turn out to be what I saw, then it shouldn't be TOO big a deal. The corner was bent up and a bit white-ish, which to me suggests that during the tray production process -- I'm guessing the part is cut out or molded and during the release from the mold or the cutter the last part to stick to the device is that one corner, thus it gets bent. What's causing this could be a number of things... the release mechanism could be crap on the cutter or they may not let the plastic cool properly in the mold, though regardless of the process I'm willing to near garuntee that part of the problem is they're making the trays a little too thin. That said it shouldn't be too hard a fix in the production line, and probably something that can be caught early. If not just bend the darn thing back or get a pair of good sicssors (sp) and cut the darn thing off, it won't affect play or unbalance the drive in anyway. 1st thing 1st check the drive and if you see something bent fix it and happy sailing.

winstonsmith1978 said:
the scratches are circular around the dvd
It's part of the "Ring Of Light" campaign!!! ;)

sendbinaries.aspx

xbdestroya said:
One question for those who've seen these messed up 360/discs in action; were the consoles vertical or horizontal?

The general Wal-Mart setup is horizontal.

(Best-Buy, Gamestop, EB-games, etc, have the nicer looking vertical setup for the most part.)

BlueTsunami said:
This is a good thing in a sense. The whole Kiosk system is wonderfull to see if theres anything defective with the systems. I wonder if these are just flukes?

I don't think demostrating your system in front millions of people before finishing testing it is a good idea.:???:

I just wonder how the percentage of successfully installed kiosks compares to the number of f***-ups.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 99% + working well, could just be getting overblown cause of the interent.

I remember hearing similar horror stories for... Well, for every disc-reading console ever released really.

There will always be lots of people complaining about something. the main point is that for every complainer, there's 10000 happy customers. We only hear the complaints though, cause the 10000 happy customers don't go round telling everyone how happy they are. The complainers on the other hand, well they complain that's the whole point.

Remeber the outrages over PSPs release? The spontaneous ejection of disk, hugely disfigured screens covered in dust and bubbles and dead pixels, reports of battery only lasting 2 hours on RR... People only make a big noise when they complain. How often do people in a resturaunt demand to see the manager and shout at him/her how wonderful the meal was and how they'll be visiting again and recommending the place to their friends? That's why companies tend to err on the side of caution, granting benefits to complainers even when complaints are unjustified. It's a sort of media blackmailing, threatening to shout about how evil a company is if they don't refund the product or something.

Shifty Geezer said:
How often do people in a resturaunt demand to see the manager and shout at him/her how wonderful the meal was and how they'll be visiting again and recommending the place to their friends?

I used to do computer tech support for a living, and I always wanted to see someone call up tech support just to say their system is working great.

Our disc is fine . Not one scratch on the thing. I can take pictures when i get back from virgina

jvd said:
Our disc is fine . Not one scratch on the thing. I can take pictures when i get back from virgina

JVD why in the world would you take a picture for us of a disc that's *not* scratched? I mean, that is the default state of these discs, right? ;)

xbdestroya said:
JVD why in the world would you take a picture for us of a disc that's *not* scratched? I mean, that is the default state of these discs, right? ;)
so i can't be accused of making a conspiracy to cover up a conspiracy about scratched disks :oops:

What'd be more fun is if you heat up the disc so it warps and stick a circular coffee stain in the middle and post it on the internet saying 'OMG Look what XB360 did to our demo disk!!!11! :oops:'

:devilish:

Back