Carmack talks Doom 3

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Doomtrooper, Feb 9, 2002.

1. BenM

Newcomer

Can someone post some links to NWO info?

2. Brimstone

Brimstone B3D Shockwave Rider
    Veteran

3. MikeC

Newcomer

4. Entropy

Veteran

Doomtrooper, what most casual gamers don't see is that Quake3 is a sport, not a game. It is all about skill and skill development, and the fun a player gets from it (or not) is the same kind of fun you get from doing any other kind of sport. Which isn't quite what most other games aim for. DOOM3 will, in its first incarnation at least, have a completely different focus, and will probably appeal more to someone looking for a nice game type experience. It may not ever have the same foothold among the online gamers, because due to the way it was initially said to be programmed, it would be more open to cheating.

Then again, that never stopped CounterStrike from being popular.

Entropy

5. Brimstone

Veteran

I like the statement near the end, it doesn't beat around the bush.

"Carmacks optimizations in these area's will make the Doom engine awesome"

John Carmack has a very impressive mind and that's probably an understatment.

6. MfA

MfA
    Legend

The NWO developers dont seem to be very good at PR, you'd at least expect a nice website with a forum (I know they have the forum ... but damn it all looks pretty drab) with regular posts of new screenshots etc etc.

7. Brimstone

Veteran

I care about how the game plays, sounds, and looks more than the quality of the website. The demo is the most important thing for me. The website seem fine to me, nothing spectacular just functional. Flash websites with fancy effects aren't important to me. I want a game that is awesome, not an awesome website.