Carmack Sues Id

He wants out while the going is good, but can only get 1/4 of what he'd get from Activision if he sells out to the other owners. I imagine there's also still quite a bit of bad blood from the whole Paul Steed/Doom 3 drama.

I do not think that there is any clear information regarding who is really in the wrong here. If his contract specified an amount I fail to see why it is so wrong to abide by it. I also understand why he wants what he does though. I mean if I had the opportunity for $20million I would be happy, but $37 million is better.

A lot of folks said they disliked the artwork that he did though in the past, so I wonder what you think of the idea of id without him around.

My read on this is that A. Carmack wanted to retire, but hold on to his shares in the company (which hasn't been the previous practice at id). The other owners said no, but offered to buy his shares before he left. He wanted as much for them as they were worth to Activision, but the other owners didn't want to offer that much.
Activision would have paid a premium for id...the evil they would create from that take-over would endear them to Satan to almost the degree of EA.
So, the other owners didn't let him retire, they fired him, and counted on the previous policy (which would have forced those fired to sell their shares back to the other owners). And now it's in court. Did I get that right? I'm not good with business stuff like this.

Now I don'y know but this sounds plausible.

How'd he get 41% in the first place? He was the one with $100 for office supplies originally? :LOL:

Back