Can you please turn off the tooltip preview in thread listview?

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Who has time to read the tooltip anyway before it disappears? It's a completely useless feature. I find it terribly distracting as it flickers up giant tooltips whenever I move the mouse across the list view.

Not having it turned on would reduce server load a bit for you guys as well, so win-win overall.

I just read your whole topic post through the tooltip before even clicking on this thread's link, as I do very often. I don't know what browser you use, but as long as I hover my mouse over the thread link, the tooltip stays up for me (currently in Firefox). I also wonder about your browser/screen if they are so big?

Anyway, a big vote against removing them from me.

Arwin, you have to click the thread anyway to read it if there's more than one post in it, or if you want to reply, so what's the point REALLY of those popups? The convenience they offer is mainly just an illusion.

Also, in IE, those tooltips stay on-screen for about three seconds or so regardless of how big they are or if oyu move the mouse or not. ...And don't tell me to switch browser either, I'm fine like this. :p

Also #2, if the tooltips were permanent I'd go even more nuts, because they tend to get in the way of mousewheel scrolling, thread clicking and so on.

We wouldn't need it if everyone made good titles (like this one), alas that is not the case and I like the feature myself (at least on my PC browser, not so useful on my phone). Perhaps it could be made an option for the user.

I don't understand the complaint. In Firefox the tooltips don't pop up unless I hover over a link for a decent while, and they remain until I move the mouse, so they are a quick way of previewing contents. I don't use the feature very often at all, but it has zero negative impact on me.

I find the feature very convenient, especially with poorly titled threads. I really miss the feature when I use forums that don't have it.

Not having it turned on would reduce server load a bit for you guys as well, so win-win overall.

The time and effort would be better spent in porting the site over to XenForo software. You'd see significantly greater reduction in server load switching over than in any amount of tweaking vbulletin would provide.

Unless I am mistaken, isn't it a simple switch? Wouldn't that take just a few minutes if that?

Devil's Advocacy aside, I don't really care either way about the tooltip stuff. I would suggest having an option that turns it off/on to placate people who like it and those who don't, but I imagine y'all don't have the time/energy to do that.

Back