Can Wii achieve the same level of Xbox's Doom3?

I do think it could have it's own version that in some ways would look better (art, modeling)
I agree that Wii would benefit from the improvements in game development techniques of today. But as you say it may not be able to replicate what Xbox does with Doom3.

Are there any games on Wii that use a lot of dynamic lighting and shadowing that is somewhat similar in end result to Doom3?

Are there any games on Wii that use a lot of dynamic lighting and shadowing that is somewhat similar in end result to Doom3?

The silent hill remake has plenty of global real time shadowing, though it uses depth buffers instead of Doom's stencil volumes.
Still I believe that game has only one or two simultaneous shadow casting lights at any given moment.

The silent hill remake has plenty of global real time shadowing, though it uses depth buffers instead of Doom's stencil volumes.
Still I believe that game has only one or two simultaneous shadow casting lights at any given moment.
I have a hard time discerning if it would be possible or not, but if they could use the TEV to emulate the normal map effects on Doom 3, along with the extra RAM, the port to Wii could be a possibility.

But the problem I see is mostly the shadowing. The much-trumpeted Red Steel on the Wii and some of the best games on the platform, technology wise, don't seem to have a similar shadowing system, it's not even close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering just how much of the dramatic lighting, geometry, and textures were cut from the OXbox version, the question pretty much comes down to whether you could use SH's lighting and the Conduit's normal mapping at the same time. If the answer's yes, you could probably do a Wii Port of Doom 3 that looks about as good as the Xbox version, i.e., terrible. If the answer's no, then no, you couldn't.

Back