Can we stop aging by moving the Sun near the Earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes if I remember correctly, they get shorter each time, and when that buffer is used up, you won't last long as replicating cells will have to work with incomplete blueprints.

An interesting recent discovery is that boys get the length of their telomeres not just from their dads, but from the age of their dads - the older your father was when you were conceived, the longer the telomeres. In that respect my son is better off than I am, as I was ten years older than my dad when he was 'created'. (Though a famous writer here conceived a son when he was 65 ... :D - telomeres are likely not going to be his problem!)

Could it be that men who are fertile longer just have longer telomeres or something? In other words maybe it is not cause and effect, but both just in response to having good genes or something.

But they'll grow so fast!

Yes, but that's actually so great about them when you see them every day. It's more of a shell-shock though when you meet them every half a year or more or so as a relative or friend of the family. First time you see them they can only cry, sleep and poop, next time they sit up and play with toys, next time they walk and talk, and next they want to know the facts of life, a smoke or borrow your car.

But when you are their parent, they fill your days with something wonderful and new almost each day, it's an emergent wonder and beauty and if you can manage to give yourself the time to enjoy it, it's a real miracle. In some ways, what they say about having two chances at a happy childhood is true, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting a lot more out of the first few years of my son than I could ever do out of those of my own, as I can't remember much before the age of 3/4. ;)

Also, human beings growing up are more amazing in many ways than anything you'll ever see in a nature programme.

You don't give yourself enough credit for beating all those 100 or so millions wannabe yourselves in the race from balls to the egg :smile:

Apparently it's very complex, in that the sperm organises itself in there in three separate waves, trying to catch the egg at different times over the span of nearly three days in order to maximise the chance of meeting the egg. Amazing stuff.

Doesn't matter how fast we're moving or where we are, Earth time relative to Earth will always be the same. Which is basically what itsmydamnation said in the second post.

Doesn't matter how fast we're moving or where we are, Earth time relative to Earth will always be the same. Which is basically what itsmydamnation said in the second post.

Aaaaand that's a wrap. This thread is attracting others of its kind. :runaway:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back