can we see more effects in future than parallax, motionblur, aa+hdr?

It look decent depending on how much you played the game, but its more of a XBOX1.5 game. Funny you mentioned Painkiller cause if you played the last level when meeting Lucifeer the art/graphics was spectacular in that level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Painkiller is still one of the best looking games i've played, and it runs like a charm!! Baffled as to why no game has been able to look that good, move that good and run that fast!

london-boy said:
Painkiller is still one of the best looking games i've played, and it runs like a charm!! Baffled as to why no game has been able to look that good, move that good and run that fast!

Isn't it the case that when the frame rate dives, so does "time"? Like setting com_fixedtic 0 in Doom 3 although not so bad because you don't need 60fps to have normal time (maybe it's the same as doom 3 but with 30Hz tic rate?).

Alstrong said:
Isn't it the case that when the frame rate dives, so does "time"? Like setting com_fixedtic 0 in Doom 3 although not so bad because you don't need 60fps to have normal time (maybe it's the same as doom 3 but with 30Hz tic rate?).

Huh? :???:

I didn't mean "fast" as in time-wise... I meant it runs very very well on a PC of decent to med-low specs...

Painkiller is a rather low poly game, with like 2 shades of colors and bright flashy effects and no bump mapped textures. It's very much a serious sam style game, the original serious sam. Could also be compared to the ut2k4 engine, which has some absolutely gorgeous deathmatch levels that run at like 300fps on modern hardware.

london-boy said:
Huh? :???:

I didn't mean "fast" as in time-wise... I meant it runs very very well on a PC of decent to med-low specs...

Yeah I know, it's just that when the frame rate dives on my computer, time seems to slow down giving the appearance of smoothness.

Guden Oden said:
TrungGap said:
However many non-360 games look like as good as PDZ? None./QUOTE]
That's a big laugh. PD0 is NOTHING in the looks department. It's low-poly, slow, and generally completely unimpressive. Many PC games slap joanna around like the 2-bit hooker she is, Quake4 easily spanks this game, as does an oldie like Painkiller for example. Or Farcry.

That's my point, you're comparing PDZ to PC games, but if you're comparing PDZ to console games only. You'll find PDZ isn't that bad. Farcry on the xbox is good, but isn't as impressive as PDZ for the 360. Yes Farcry is doing pretty good considering the low res texture and low poly count. However, when you hook up to a HD-TV and play a four way split screen...PDZ is pretty impressive.

If anyone of us expect the 360 or PS3 to out do PC games, will be disappointed. Because at the end of the day, the PC will continue to get upgrades and that will offset the advantages of a closed system.

I would say PDZ is trash compared to:
- kameo
- condemned
- doa 4
- pgr 3
- madden 2006

If it weren't for the jaggies, and the terrible models it would be a very nice game. The lighting is gorgeous, but that's about it...

scooby_dooby said:
I would say PDZ is trash compared to:
- kameo
- condemned
- doa 4
- pgr 3
- madden 2006

If it weren't for the jaggies, and the terrible models it would be a very nice game. The lighting is gorgeous, but that's about it...

Yeah, I would agree with you on graphic points...however, the gameplay is fun. I'm finding myself playing pdz more than cod2, king kong and kameo. I used to talk trash about pdz...can you imagine that? LOL

I've downloaded condemned demo and looks really impressive...but I'm going to wait for a price drop first...and planning to pickup pgr3 second hand in a few months. I'm still trying to get all I can out pdz and cod2.

back on topic: I noticed that motion blur on pdz, and not sure what I think of it. What do you guys think of it? It looks okay, but something isn't right, not sure what.

TrungGap said:
Guden Oden said:
That's my point, you're comparing PDZ to PC games, but if you're comparing PDZ to console games only. You'll find PDZ isn't that bad. Farcry on the xbox is good, but isn't as impressive as PDZ for the 360. Yes Farcry is doing pretty good considering the low res texture and low poly count. However, when you hook up to a HD-TV and play a four way split screen...PDZ is pretty impressive.
Comparing PDZ to games designed for hardware between four and six years old is silly. Or should we start comparing PS2 games to Yar's Revenge and Adventure? A game should be compared to games designed for hardware with a similar level of power. Right now, the only things we have to compare Xbox 360 games to are PC games and other Xbox 360 games.
If anyone of us expect the 360 or PS3 to out do PC games, will be disappointed. Because at the end of the day, the PC will continue to get upgrades and that will offset the advantages of a closed system.
Which PC games? PC games tuned for DX7 cards? DX8 cards? DX9 cards? 16-color EGA graphics? People aren't expecting X360 games to outdo PC games designed for some future 2010 video chip. It is, however, reasonable to expect X360 games to look as good or better than 2-year-old PC games.

PC's don't upgrade themselves, either. You have to buy new hardware; the main difference is that you can buy more of it more often than you can buy new console hardware. After all, eventually, there will be a console more powerful than whatever your current PC is at any given moment.

Back