can we see more effects in future than parallax, motionblur, aa+hdr?

SynapticSignal said:
mmh no
cod2 use a whole new engine for x360

and pd0 was not "largely completed" in any other platform

try with google for the links, I heard interview from developers.

You are completely wrong on all accounts. COD2 uses the same engine as the PC version, except they had to alter some AI and physics code to run on 360's CPU cores. It is nowhere near a "whole new engine", the graphics engine is relatively the same.

PDZ was mostly completed on the Xbox and didn't start being ported toward the end of last year (same as Kameo). This was all stated in interviews.

Hardknock said:
You are completely wrong on all accounts. COD2 uses the same engine as the PC version, except they had to alter some AI and physics code to run on 360's CPU cores. It is nowhere near a "whole new engine", the graphics engine is relatively the same.

PDZ was mostly completed on the Xbox and didn't start being ported toward the end of last year (same as Kameo). This was all stated in interviews.
The engine is not the same. Obviously some code is re-used as in all engines on all platforms, and the assets, maps etc. are the same, but the rendering engine is different and the main engine has been multi-threaded.

Using 1 core for AI and 1 core for the rest game code doesnt mean MT.
AFAIK the first "from the ground" engine for an 360 fps , is going to be wolfenstein 360.
So i suppose that we have to wait for a while before we see how a fps will look using a real 360 engine.

Things get absurd sometimes...Take COD2..

COD2 is probably the best PC/Console conversion thats been done.
The CoD-community has risen against the fact that the PC version was very bad polished and has tons of bugs plus more.

Its pretty strange when they done a "perfect" game with solid 60 frames and great visuals that take a VERY highend PC to match and somehow not saying it uses the "power" of 360.
Because of the underlined bias witch is that the xbox360 is soo much more powerful that "just" running one of the bests titles and most demanding becomes negative because of "Can it only do this" thinking.
IMO that way of reasoning is very transparent, aswell as its a deadend.

Dont more people than me think thats its quite absurd to take something positive and turn it into something negative to make your point that it is positive?

overclocked said:
COD2 is probably the best PC/Console conversion thats been done.
The CoD-community has risen against the fact that the PC version was very bad polished and has tons of bugs plus more.

Its pretty strange when they done a "perfect" game with solid 60 frames and great visuals that take a VERY highend PC to match and somehow not saying it uses the "power" of 360.
Because of the underlined bias witch is that the xbox360 is soo much more powerful that "just" running one of the bests titles and most demanding becomes negative because of "Can it only do this" thinking.
IMO that way of reasoning is very transparent, aswell as its a deadend.

Dont more people than me think thats its quite absurd to take something positive and turn it into something negative to make your point that it is positive?

Agreed. That's quite absurd.

I do not see any GI in this demo. But if you are referring to the effect on the characters face, then that is just baked occlusion as a texture or a vertex map. There is no evidence of realtime GI anywhere in this demo, faked or otherwise. I can only see standard lightmaps.

SynapticSignal said:
I think that this is an huge lap, only x360 games have hdr + msaa + parallax mapping + motion blur, what I'm asking is if when second and third generation games will come, we will see newer effect, maybe using core locking, cache locking, procedral textures, tessellaion and so on or if this unused technologies can bring newer effects to us..;)
AFAIK, only PDZ has HDR+ parallax mapping + motion blur, and AA had to be dropped in lieu of the motion blur.

I'm looking forward to more global illumination (or nice approximations), HDR lighting from realistic sources (realistic lighting is absent from PGR3 and every other X360 launch title), subsurface scattering (or an approximation) on flesh and other materials, and motion blur, AA, DoF, etc. on environment maps. Oh, and lots more realisticaly used environment maps.
Dr. Nick said:
Need for speed most wanted was ported from the last gen console versions.
With how poorly it runs on PS2, GC, and Xbox, I'd say it was the other way 'round. It's just too big for its britches there.
see colon said:
it's pretty safe to assume condemned runs on the jupiter engine, since the game was developed my monolith.
F.E.A.R. doesn't use the Jupiter engine, and it looks like Condemned is based on the (not officially named) F.E.A.R. engine, but with some platform-specific enhancements. The soft shadows are actually soft in Condemned.
jvd said:
care to post a link to where its coming out in spring 2006 or anytime in 2006 for that matter
“Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriotsâ€￾ will be released in 2006, following the release of the Playstation 3 next-generation console.
Source
OPM shows the release date as 10/15/06, though I doubt if Konami has officially decided on a date so specific. I know I've read elsewhere that Kojima wants MGS4 to be a near-launch PS3 title, but I can't find that stuff ATM.

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
Are you sure about that??? because im not.
Not 100%, but I saw a video where someone was playing the game and commented on the lack of AA, and a Rare or MS rep said that it's not in use because of the motion blur.
see colon said:
F.E.A.R. runs on the jupiter EX engine.
http://www.touchdownentertainment.com/home.htm
I suppose, at the time of this interview, it hadn't been named or marketed for licensing yet.
UK JOURNALIST #6

Why have you dropped the Lithtech engine after all these years? Is it not going to be used again?

KEVIN STEPHENS

It's technical. Basically we branched Lithtech away from Monolith and they have become a licensing arm called Touchdown - they renamed themselves - and so at some point around 2001 there was a migration of engineers from Lithtech back to Monolith. Some, not all. We reabsorbed those engineers and built the new technology, so for some time Monolith has been building what's called the Lithtech engine. The F.E.A.R engine was a bigger departure because we rewrote so much of it, but there are things in there that are Lithtech.

UK JOURNALIST #6

Are you calling it the F.E.A.R engine?

KEVIN STEPHENS

We call it the F.E.A.R engine, but I actually don't like to use the term 'engine' because I don't think that's broad enough; I call it the F.E.A.R technology because it includes all the tools, game code, etc. Usually when people talk about the engine they're actually talking about the renderer, which is 10 per cent of the code base and is just what people like to talk about. And, actually, with newer renderers it's becoming smaller. So I personally don't like to focus on that. But as far as the name goes, if Touchdown licenses the technology they can call it whatever they want; I think they'll call it the F.E.A.R technology but we don't have control.

UK JOURNALIST #6

This is just the start then. We're going to see it appear in more games and so on.

KEVIN STEPHENS

It could. Monolith doesn't control that. We have a deal with Touchdown Entertainment and they can license the technology if they choose to. I'm pretty sure there'll be interest.

Expect more procedural effects being used in games. And I'm not talking about those tacky winampesque textures from PDZ. I'm talking about (hybrid) procedural generation of textures and geometry/placement. Perhaps not comparable to pixel effects such as motionblur but can create really detailed and immersive environments which IMO is even more interesting. It is also, as it happens, what I'm working on right now :)

repi said:
Expect more procedural effects being used in games. And I'm not talking about those tacky winampesque textures from PDZ. I'm talking about (hybrid) procedural generation of textures and geometry/placement. Perhaps not comparable to pixel effects such as motionblur but can create really detailed and immersive environments which IMO is even more interesting. It is also, as it happens, what I'm working on right now :)

And what would you be working on dear sir?

repi said:
A 360/PS3/PC game, but can't really talk about it.
Are you working for those guys who made Enclave/Riddick? :)

Anyway - procedural stuff has SO much potential next gen... If there's anything devs should be blowing oodles of CPU power on it's neato physics and procedural stuff IMO.

Iron Tiger said:
Not 100%, but I saw a video where someone was playing the game and commented on the lack of AA, and a Rare or MS rep said that it's not in use because of the motion blur.

Ya that's just a cop-out, let me paraphrase:

"We couln't implement AA in time for launch, so we bent the rules and used some crappy motionblur to try and mask the horrible jaggies so we could weasel through certification and get the game out for launch and cash in on the hype"

PD0 is a jaggy pile of cow shit. I personally feel I should get a 100% full refund because 360 games were not supposed to have jaggies, and while I let minor ones slde, PD0 is freaking pathetic, what a mess...maybe I should get past the 2nd level....

MS really blew it, should've held off on PD0, polished it for 3 months and released in Feb, there's a huge game drought in Jan-Feb, and this will be when supply begins to decline so sales could use a good boost. Then again...maybe it was time that horse got put down...

scooby_dooby said:
Ya that's just a cop-out, let me paraphrase:

"We couln't implement AA in time for launch, so we bent the rules and used some crappy motionblur to try and mask the horrible jaggies so we could weasel through certification and get the game out for launch and cash in on the hype"

PD0 is a jaggy pile of cow shit. I personally feel I should get a 100% full refund because 360 games were not supposed to have jaggies, and while I let minor ones slde, PD0 is freaking pathetic, what a mess...maybe I should get past the 2nd level....

MS really blew it, should've held off on PD0, polished it for 3 months and released in Feb, there's a huge game drought in Jan-Feb, and this will be when supply begins to decline so sales could use a good boost. Then again...maybe it was time that horse got put down...

Off topic: Actually, that was what I thought of PDZ initially. However after playing it for a while now, I'm loving the gameplay. True, the graphic isn't "next gen", however the draw distance is good and the load time is pretty quick. God, never have I thought of coming to to defend PDZ...but look at me now.

On topic: I think one of difficulty of "next gen" console game is competing with next gen games on the PC. If we were to limit our comparision to console, then PDZ and many 360 launch titles are really visually next gen. However, I think because we have been seen it on a high-end PC, we set the bar above that. However many non-360 games look like as good as PDZ? None.

TrungGap said:
However many non-360 games look like as good as PDZ? None./QUOTE]
That's a big laugh. PD0 is NOTHING in the looks department. It's low-poly, slow, and generally completely unimpressive. Many PC games slap joanna around like the 2-bit hooker she is, Quake4 easily spanks this game, as does an oldie like Painkiller for example. Or Farcry.

Back