Can this be true....475 for the 6800Ultra core now?

digitalwanderer said:
I don't know. It sounds more like they were confused about it going from 475 to 400 more than they had the latest hot scoop that the ultra was back to 475.
That link above said:
Aopen not only showed the card but also demonstrated the performance in 3D mark 03.. They got 11,143 mark on 3dmark which is very close to 12,000. 12,000 is the score that nVIDIA has said to the public (The score we can expect. )
This is the latest information but the core has been boosted from 400 to 475 on nVIDIA’s Geforce 6800.
It's sounds to me like they're not talking about the clock speed of the GeForce 6800 Ultra, but the normal GeForce 6800.

This makes sense to me, as the smaller core of the normal 6800 should run cooler, and thus be capable of higher clockspeeds.

Chalnoth said:
digitalwanderer said:
I don't know. It sounds more like they were confused about it going from 475 to 400 more than they had the latest hot scoop that the ultra was back to 475.
That link above said:
Aopen not only showed the card but also demonstrated the performance in 3D mark 03.. They got 11,143 mark on 3dmark which is very close to 12,000. 12,000 is the score that nVIDIA has said to the public (The score we can expect. )
This is the latest information but the core has been boosted from 400 to 475 on nVIDIA???s Geforce 6800.
It's sounds to me like they're not talking about the clock speed of the GeForce 6800 Ultra, but the normal GeForce 6800.

This makes sense to me, as the smaller core of the normal 6800 should run cooler, and thus be capable of higher clockspeeds.

Now that you mentioned it. I reread the paragraph and it seems like its logical. They could well talking about the non ultra.

But, wouldn't a 475mhz non ultra be too close of the performance to the ultra?
________
FORD MEL ENGINE HISTORY

Last edited by a moderator:
mikechai said:
Now that you mentioned it. I reread the paragraph and it seems like its logical. They could well talking about the non ultra.

But, wouldn't a 475mhz non ultra be too close of the performance to the ultra?
It'd be about 89% the performance of the Ultra (neglecting memory bandwidth). Judging from past Ultra/non-Ultra comparisons, I don't think it's all that unusual.

http://www.hardware.no/art.php?artikkelid=6855

For those of you who doesnt understand norwegian, the article says that nVidia will be changing the referance design on the GeForce 6800 Ultra and that will mean a delay. It will be in stores by end may.

They got this info from a card manufacturer, they also say that nVidia has something up their sleeve, but couldnt comment on it because that would reveal the source.

Guess we will just have to wait and see what changes nVidia is going to do to the referance design all the hardware sites have tested now.

ciaspook said:
http://www.hardware.no/art.php?artikkelid=6855

For those of you who doesnt understand norwegian, the article says that nVidia will be changing the referance design on the GeForce 6800 Ultra and that will mean a delay. It will be in stores by end may.

They got this info from a card manufacturer, they also say that nVidia has something up their sleeve, but couldnt comment on it because that would reveal the source.

Guess we will just have to wait and see what changes nVidia is going to do to the referance design all the hardware sites have tested now.
Ok to all that, but make it "July" for the in stores date. ;)

mikechai said:
We better hope ATI's X800 pro beat the 6800U or else the 6800U won't be priced at $399 and there won't be a faster NV40 coming so soon.... 8)
My Question...

If X800pro beats the 6800ULTRA, and X800XT completely Eviscerates 6800ULTRA.. and has better AA and better AF (or at least Equal AF)..

Why the heck would you want or even care that the nv40 ultra was cheaper?

ciaspook said:

As I understand it, end of may is not a delay at all. 45 days from announcement, 45 days from mid April = end May.

Hellbinder said:
mikechai said:
We better hope ATI's X800 pro beat the 6800U or else the 6800U won't be priced at $399 and there won't be a faster NV40 coming so soon.... 8)
My Question...

If X800pro beats the 6800ULTRA, and X800XT completely Eviscerates 6800ULTRA.. and has better AA and better AF (or at least Equal AF)..

Hell I hope the x800xt is 2x as fast as the nv40 ultra, then I should be able to pick up a nv40 for $150.

Not everyone cares to pay a premium for bleeding edge.

Hellbinder said:
mikechai said:
My Question...

First of all, at the moment we are speculating. There are a lot of rumors floating around about NV40 and higher speed parts/new ref board design which although unconfirmed have put a lot of smoke into the scenery. Furthermore, i find it kind of hard to believe the X800 Pro will beat the 6800 Ultra...if that's the case and these parts are not priced similarly then i guess nVidia are in trouble as i can't see many ppl paying $100 more to get a lower performing part, regardless of SM3.0 support.
Still D3 can play a major role, what if 6800 Ultra smokes ATi's offering in this engine, and we know that there are gonna be a lot of games based on it. So what i am trying to say is, WE ARE IN THE DARK HERE :(

It was a given that a reference board redesign is needed - look at the reworks on the review boards...

AlphaWolf said:
Hellbinder said:
mikechai said:
My Question...

Hell I hope the x800xt is 2x as fast as the nv40 ultra, then I should be able to pick up a nv40 for $150.

Not everyone cares to pay a premium for bleeding edge.
Well you do have a very good point there. But sadly that is not going to happen 8)

Although if some company could manage a 2x victory over their rival no matter who it was most tech heads would keel over dead. And we cant have that kind of thing going on now can we... :LOL:

There are cleary some things that Nvidias Hardware are going to be better at. For some people they will be the most important thing to them. Its not all a one sided affair for either party.

DaveBaumann said:
It was a given that a reference board redesign is needed - look at the reworks on the review boards...

Well you have been hinting at that for a couple of days Dave.

P.S. how is your preview of the R400 going??

Doomtrooper said:
DoS said:
Still D3 can play a major role, what if 6800 Ultra smokes ATi's offering in this engine, and we know that there are gonna be a lot of games based on it. So what i am trying to say is, WE ARE IN THE DARK HERE :(

It has been posted 10 times now but Doom 3 is hard capped at 60 fps in the renderer.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/456/456054p1.html?fromint=1
Why does that matter any? The benchmarks won't be capped, and a faster card will always allow higher resolution/FSAA/AF gameplay.

Chalnoth said:
The benchmarks won't be capped, and a faster card will always allow higher resolution/FSAA/AF gameplay.

Actually, it does matter a bit. Because if it's capped at 60 FPS, then it becomes an issue of image quality, of which resolution is a part...as is AA.

I'd laugh if all the big words being used by ATi fans to describe the XT come to nothing, and it's only something like 10% ahead overall :LOL:

Back