Can this be true....475 for the 6800Ultra core now?

What you forget is when your margins are in the over the mid 30's you can afford to sacrifice some margins, when your margins are in the mid 20's you don't have so much room. So, with a slower process and a larger die the wiggle room is going to be much less for this particular part if they are aiming to make any money from it. Low-k is likely to to have a premium and may have some yeild concerns, but if it is the case that the die is smaller then that will alleviate some of that and a low-k (with a smaller die) should allow for wiggle in the clocks if the part has been designed for it.

I haven't yet seen nVidia officially announce clock speeds. They didn't in the launch presentation, they didn't on the spec sheet in PO_GeForce_6800__032604.pdf and they haven't on the Tech Specs page for 6800 http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040406661996.html

Dave, unless you can personally guarantee the card you looked at is going on sale to consumers exactly as you looked at it, then your article is a preview, not a review.

I agree with Geeforcer. No matter how you look at it, it seems that there will be a 6800 Ultra sold at 400Mhz core clock frequency. These specs are even available at NVDA's website.

I have asked NVIDIA multiple times if these were the correct speeds for the Ultra, I even showed them the findings of the chipset dump, and each time they came back and confirmed this to be the 6800 Ultra.

Geeforcer said:
I think that people should accept 6800U as 400MHz at this point. Now, it could very well be that A2 can be clocked higher, but I am certain that if Nvidia felt they could produce it in quantity in time for launch then that's what review Ultras would have been clocked as. At this point, I'd expect higher-clocked A2s to show up in 512MB cards in a couple of months, but Ultra specks will remain as they are.

Just what I'm thinking. ;)
________
HONDA CR125R

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the point is, you can play your headgames with frequency, pipelines, memory, etc. only for so long, at one point you actually need to lock down the specifications and ship the card to consumer, profitably.

What you forget is when your margins are in the over the mid 30's you can afford to sacrifice some margins, when your margins are in the mid 20's you don't have so much room.

Where did you get these numbers from? Do you have some information about NVDA and ATI's yields?

The way I see it, at least with the high end cards, NVDA would probably be willing to take a huge hit in margin in order to capture more of the high end market share. Who knows though, just speculation on my part.

DaveBaumann said:
I have asked NVIDIA multiple times if these were the correct speeds for the Ultra, I even showed them the findings of the chipset dump, and each time they came back and confirmed this to be the 6800 Ultra.
They have confirmed the GPU on the card is a 6800 Ultra, but they have said anything about clockspeeds and steppings?

mikechai said:
Ok, enough is enough.

GeForce 6800 Ultra is 400/1100 period.

Could we leave it as that?
Yes. That is good. Ultra is 400/1100, and that is that. There is absolutely no doubt about the 6800 Ultra.

radar1200gs said:
I haven't yet seen nVidia officially announce clock speeds. They didn't in the launch presentation, they didn't on the spec sheet in PO_GeForce_6800__032604.pdf and they haven't on the Tech Specs page for 6800 http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040406661996.html

Dave, unless you can personally guarantee the card you looked at is going on sale to consumers exactly as you looked at it, then your article is a preview, not a review.

Apparently you weren't looking hard enough.. or maybe too hard?

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_6800.html

At the Bottom of the page:

Graphics Core 256-bit
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth 35.2 GB/sec.
Fill Rate 6.4 billion texels/sec.
Vertices per Second 600 Million
Memory Data Rate 1100 MHz
Pixels per Clock (peak) 16
Textures per Pixel* 16
RAMDACs 400 MHz
*Maximum in a single rendering pass