Can I change my mobo only?

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
I am using an ancient nForce 1 mobo and now I want to replace it with an nForce 2 mobo as the DDR stick that I had bought is faster than what my current mobo supports, I may change the CPU too in future. Presuming I change only my mobo, can I just remove the current mobo and stick a new mobo in its place? Is it that simple?

Possibly yes.

You need to check for various connections though.

1> Power Supply, does your new mobo have the same sort of power connector that your PSU has?
2> I presume you check for RAM compatibility since you mentioned you want to keep your RAM.
3> Not sure if your old PC is full of expansion cards (sound card, etc.) but should be mentioned just in case the newer one has less than what you're using now.

Stuff like that. Oh, much more on the minor side of things but the Headers on your motherboard may not be in the same arrangement as what your case uses. So for instance, the PowerLed on your case may not be easy to hook up to the PowerLed header on your mobo. This is mostly cosmetic stuff though.

Presuming I change only my mobo, can I just remove the current mobo and stick a new mobo in its place? Is it that simple?

I think you should ask again a bit differently since now there is no way to guess what you might be forgetting. For example, if you literally "just remove the mobo and stick a new mobo in its place" you will find problems such as you have your cpu still in the socket of the old mobo and also all the cables and such :)

It also might be helpful to know the exact brand and model of your mobo (old and new), memory, processor, etc...

Yes, but I can't guaraatee how easy it'll be to find one that supports your processor. The problem is, once that line of processor is out of date, it's compatible motherboards are literally out the door into the twisting nether of extinction. Most people, depending on the age of the processor/mobo, tend to have to resort to e-bay to find a compatible motherboard. And of course there's the obvious checking compatibility with your surrounding hardware.

My current config is Asus A7N266-VM, 1700+ and 256 MB DDR (266 MHz). Recently I had purchased a 512 MB DDR (400 MHz) stick but it didn't work properly.

So I am thinking of buy a nForce 2 mobo which supports faster DDRs.

As long as the cpu socket type (A?) and the DDR type match up then you should be okay. NF1 and NF2 are long enough ago that I don't remember if there was a memory technology change between them!
I might also remove your NF1 drivers just before the switch so you don't have any ghosts in the machine from NF1 drivers that the NF2 drivers don't properly remove. Oh, isn't there an NF2 driver that wreaked havoc on machines? I think it was their IDE driver or something like that...the default win driver was safer.

Back