Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II [PS, XB, PC]

I also don't get it. The franchise is consistently a high seller and yet every release seems to have endless complaints about the multiplayer, maps, cheating and MTX.

It feels like gamer Stockholm syndrome.

Some considerations.
  • People are far more likely to write about something they don't like than they are to write something about something they are enjoying.
    • Probably because if they like it they are too busy playing and if they don't then they aren't playing. :p
  • People on gaming forums are more likely to try to find things not to like about things that are incredibly popular with little to no social commentary than they are titles that are considered "underdogs" or have social commentary.
    • Basically the more popular or widespread something is, the more people who are vocal like to try to find things wrong with whatever it is.
    • Classic examples: The New York Yankees. Microsoft. Ferrari in F1.
      • Some very vocal people just LOVE to hate them.
  • Anytime core COD players don't consider the newest COD to be the "best" of all CODs ever made, they'll complain about how it was changed to be not as good as the COD that they consider the best COD. :p
    • Additionally, if it's in a setting that they don't like, they'll complain. For example, if they don't like anything other than a modern setting, they'll vociferously complain.
And at the end of the day, there will still be millions of players playing it and enjoying it. And there's a good chance some of the people complaining will be playing and enjoying it.

Regards,
SB

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Breaks PlayStation Store Record​

Ok its a nice game, graphics are great. But I never understood why particularly this series sells like Hotcakes. Its like the GTA of the FPS. Ok doesnt sell as much as GTA but still it is a crazy outlier
It's probably an error. Microsoft have been very clear that Call of Duty isn't important at all, they definitely said that there isn't a significant number of PlayStation owners playing it. The people buying it probably just want it in their libraries to look at the digital box art on their PlayStation home screens.

It looks like the same CoD as every year, and just as boring. CoD is like the Apple of games, everyone thinks they have to own it because all their friends do and they'll be shunned if they don't.

It looks like the same CoD as every year, and just as boring. CoD is like the Apple of games, everyone thinks they have to own it because all their friends do and they'll be shunned if they don't.
I'll freely confess to really loving the short campaigns of the original 360/PS3-era Modern Warfare trilogy and bought the MW1/MW2 remasters for PS4. I also really liked Advanced Warfare as well. They were all fun but nonsense stories with great set action pieces for me to kill Kevin Spacey and other bad guys.

I almost got into Infinite Warfare but somehow never completed the campaign.

I'll freely confess to really loving the short campaigns of the original 360/PS3-era Modern Warfare trilogy and bought the MW1/MW2 remasters for PS4. I also really liked Advanced Warfare as well. They were all fun but nonsense stories with great set action pieces for me to kill Kevin Spacey and other bad guys.

I almost got into Infinite Warfare but somehow never completed the campaign.
The campaigns can be quite good but 99% don't really buy it for the campaign. The main reason is for the multiplayer. And that's where it just becomes the same game over and over again.

It's probably an error. Microsoft have been very clear that Call of Duty isn't important at all, they definitely said that there isn't a significant number of PlayStation owners playing it. The people buying it probably just want it in their libraries to look at the digital box art on their PlayStation home screens.

Yeah can’t wait for mass exodus of ps users when deal goes thru. When they all will start selling off theirs PlayStations becouse activision is owned by Microsoft now I may actually get one.

I just finished the reveal trailer level on oil drill platform. Wow just wow. I don’t get why Amsterdam level gets so much attention if anything I thought that it was ok at best. It only emphasizes on “we are not there yet”. So many shortcomings. But oil platform level, sniper and opening mission. Holy cow. I am speechless. Platform level reminded me of mgs 2, there is a ton of cool moments with water physic a lot is going on with atmospheric effects, rain, storm great audio, just excellent. In my opinion is one the best if not best mission in all cods.

So, I think this might help explain why COD: MW2 is doing so well...

He's a Battlefield fan and historically doesn't like COD.

Basically the short of it is, with Battlefield 2042 sucking so badly and COD: MW2 doing Battlefield style gameplay better than Battlefield 2042 it's not only attracting COD players but it's also drawing in a lot of former Battlefield players who generally wouldn't play COD.

Also, lots of maps and lots of different game modes. Almost makes me want to get back into competitive multiplayer FPS ... but I'm too old. :p

It's not perfect, but it's better than anything else out there for this genre.

Regards,
SB

So, I think this might help explain why COD: MW2 is doing so well...

He's a Battlefield fan and historically doesn't like COD.

Basically the short of it is, with Battlefield 2042 sucking so badly and COD: MW2 doing Battlefield style gameplay better than Battlefield 2042 it's not only attracting COD players but it's also drawing in a lot of former Battlefield players who generally wouldn't play COD.

Also, lots of maps and lots of different game modes. Almost makes me want to get back into competitive multiplayer FPS ... but I'm too old. :p

It's not perfect, but it's better than anything else out there for this genre.

Regards,
SB

im out of touch with both this cod and bf2042 but, where's the battlefield style gameplay?

i didnt see players
  • sniping a heli/jet and commandeering it.
  • physics shenanigans (e.g. sticking a bunch of C4s into a car and goes boom boom, colapsing a bulding)
  • solid team work (e.g. a heli with pilot avoiding missiles, people using it as mobile spawn point, and people so dedicated on repairing it on-air)
or BF2042 also didnt have those? As DICE has been cutting off more and more player freedom/creativity for each new battlefield

im out of touch with both this cod and bf2042 but, where's the battlefield style gameplay?

i didnt see players
  • physics shenanigans (e.g. sticking a bunch of C4s into a car and goes boom boom, colapsing a bulding)
  • solid team work (e.g. a heli with pilot avoiding missiles, people using it as mobile spawn point, and people so dedicated on repairing it on-air)
or BF2042 also didnt have those? As DICE has been cutting off more and more player freedom/creativity for each new battlefield
Those have been mostly gone since Battlefield 4. The last 3 titles have ranged from mediocre to actual garbage from a technical and/or design standpoint. This is the first COD I have played in many years and going back to BFV or BF1 you instantly realize how utterly awful they are in terms of gunplay, movement, audio and basic gameplay mechanics.

i didnt see players

The creativity can still kind of be had in BF 2042, but the bugs were so incredibly bad at launch that it made most of them kind of pointless. What's the use of pulling off a clever trick but it then can't be used to kill someone because of a bug?

Angry Joe doesn't really show much, it's more about how he's describing his experience in COD: MW2's Battlefield like gameplay modes versus Battlefield 2042. He does, however, show some of the really infuriating bugs that he had to suffer through when he tried to play BF 2042 ... as well as the godawful "music".

Where BF started to focus on a less technically sound but more Social Justice friendly game, COD continued to focus on being technically sound and offering tight mechanics while continuing to incorporate new features and expand its gameplay modes (including modes that are virtual clones of BF style gameplay modes).

Basically BF tried to be more socially acceptable (for example, try really hard not to hurt anyone's feelings so don't show player stats after a game), while COD just focused on being a really good military shooter.

Regards,
SB

Back