Cagiest retraction I've ever seen...(I think)...;)

WaltC

Veteran
I want to preface this with the strong statement that this is not a flame, or an invitation for flames, but an appeal for reasoned discussion concerning an issue that I find baffling, frankly.

This came to my attention today on a site which hypertext linked to here:

[H said:
on June 16]
Posted by Kyle 11:39 AM (CDT)
Freedom of Speech:
As you might know by now, Timothy Roberts, CEO of Infinium Labs, has accused us of publishing misleading statements, or innuendos that falsely portray Timothy Roberts as being, essentially; irresponsible, incompetent, unsuccessful, and/or untrustworthy. Our article was accurate and truthful. The alleged innuendos are being created by Timothy Roberts for the purpose of promoting litigation intended to suppress investigative reporting of him, and of Infinium Labs.

WE WANT YOUR HELP! The truth is the cornerstone of our defense. If you have credible information regarding the conduct, character, or business practices of Timothy Roberts, please contact me by email at Kyle@HardOCP.com.

UPDATE: There is also an interesting article in St Louis Today that focuses on Tim Roberts and Infinium Labs.

Infinium's financial statements are full of other caution signals. The company lost $6.2 million in the first quarter of this year, and it had a negative net worth of $1.7 million March 31. The company's auditors express "substantial doubt about its ability to continue as a going concern."

I think this is the first time I'd actually seen the 4-5-page letter from IL which [H] published on March 2 of this year, which you can read by following the hypertext link [H] makes in the statements [H] made today which I've quoted above.

The first thing I'd like to draw your attention to is the fact that March 2 falls within the 10-day deadline which the IL legal letter from this Florida law firm [H] published on March 2 demanded be met for a retraction, as the letter displays a date of February 27, 2004.

If you haven't read the letter you might wish to do so. The letter raises a total of 18 specific and distinct points of objection to [H]'s original September '03 IL article. What I found most interesting was the comments [H] makes immediately in the body of the text after making this letter available to the public March 2:

[H said:
]

After hours of consideration, out of the 18 items noted we have found 5 that were in need of addressing as outlined below. They are numbered to correspond with the request in the above published document.

I did a double-take when I saw this, and thought: "You mean, out of the 18 items mentioned you wish to take issue only with these five?" I had to turn this over a few times before reaching the conclusion that, yes, what [H] was actually saying was that it had no argument with any of the points in the IL letter with the exception of five of those points, which [H] duly addressed individually and specifically.

I have to bow to whomever it was who thought up this kind of a retraction, because it is among the most clever I have ever seen...;) In fact, it may have been a tad too clever, and may well backfire, but I'll address this momentarily. First though...

If you are tempted to think, as I was when first reading it, that "No, what Kyle's saying is that he disagrees with all the points the IL letter raises, not just those five"--if you think it through you'll see that logically that doesn't wash for two reasons:

(1) If he disagreed with all 18 points, why state that "After hours of consideration, out of the 18 items noted we have found 5 that were in need of addressing as outlined below. They are numbered to correspond with the request in the above published document"....?

If you in fact disagreed with all 18 of them, why "address" only five of the 18 items you disagreed with? Since Kyle only considered that five of the eighteen points of contention raised "needed addressing," then it must be concluded that he doesn't think the other thirteen points do--which must mean he does not dispute them.

(2) The 18 items raised in the letter from IL's lawyers that [H] published were written by IL, not by [H], and so it is incumbent on Kyle to "address" each and every one of them with which he disagrees or disputes, if his intention is to deny or rebut those points. But again let me underscore that he chooses to only specifically "address" five of the 18 points IL raises.

Next, you might be tempted to say, "But the article isn't entitled as a retraction, and the other comments within the body of text outside of those you quoted would indicate that there is no intent to retract whatever." You'd be exactly right--at least halfway, because I initially thought the same thing.

What we have here, I think, is a "Retraction Disguised as a Rebuttal," or a "Retraction Nested within a Rebuttal." More specifically, what we have here is what superficially appears to be a rebuttal, but is in fact intended as a retraction to meet the demands of the IL retraction request.
IE, the rebuttal camouflage is vague and misleading and unspecific in the March 2 text, but the internal retraction it contains is specific right down to the exact five items with which [H] disagrees out of the eighteen items of contention published by [H] in the IL lawyers' own words. An exceptionally clever (but maybe too clever) tactic, if I may say so myself...;)

I can see [H]'s lawyers saying to the judge:

"But your honor, we did exactly as IL asked, and we printed a retraction in the time frame they asked for--but we actually reprinted the IL lawyer's letter itself so that people could read the points of dispute in IL's own words. We think the retraction we gave IL, in reprinting their complaints in their own words--18 points of which we mildly disputed only 5 of them on March 2nd--we think that what we did here exceeds IL's request that we make changes to our original September IL article, and so our position is that we have more than satisfied their requests, and that is why we ask that the state of Texas close this matter immediately. Since we've done what they asked, our position is that we have no other burden to retract and we ask for a dismissal with prejudice."

In fact, I think this is actually the reason that [H] launched the "preemptive lawsuit" shortly after publishing their March 2nd "Rebuttal that was a Retraction," on the presumptive grounds that they had satisfied IL's requests and therefore would like to see IL and the whole issue go away--pronto. Thinking about it this way constitutes the first time the "preemptive suit" has ever made any sense to me since the first time I heard about it.

Last issue to address is why. Why would [H] not simply do a straightforward retraction, instead of this convoluted and ineffectual retraction they tried to execute on March 2nd? My opinion is this: [H] wanted to save face with its "community" after once again putting its foot firmly in its mouth. [H] knew it had to retract, since it never had any factual basis for the September '03 article, but simply couldn't bear to admit it had made a mistake to its readership, and the result was this rebuttal-retraction compromise of March 2, which pleased or satisfied neither IL nor the courts, obviously. It would absolutely be up to the judge whether he'd accept [H]'s characterization of the March 2nd article as a "retraction" of any sort, and considering the lengths [H] went to in order to disguise it, I would not be a bit surprised to see that it would fail to meet the court's requirements for a bona fide retraction of any sort.

In case you have any doubts as to my logic, I think it's easy to prove the point. Of IL's 18 points of contention reprinted by [H] on March 2nd, consider items 1, 2, 4, and 10. They concern the opening paragraph of [H]'s September '03 IL article here:

[H said:
in Sept '03]

By now, the whole world has heard of Infinium Labs and their infamous Phantom Game Console, but what do we really know about what could be the next big gaming console or the people bringing it to market? At this point, we know little beyond what they've been willing to share. We haven't seen the console outside of a few 3D renderings, we haven't seen the facility where they claim beta units are being built, and we haven't seen the Infinium Labs base of operations.
(emphasis mine)

Since points 1,2,4,& 10 were not the points [H] considered "needed addressing" in its March 2nd article, even after "hours of consideration," and since the September '03 article plainly and clearly states what IL says it does in their 1,2,4 & 10 numbered points , it must be concluded that [H] has no argument with points 1,2,4, &10 as stated by IL in the IL document [H] reprinted March 2nd. I cannot see any other interpretation than, therefore, that [H] also had no dispute with any of the other points IL raised, with the exception of the 5 points which [H] actually and specifically "addressed" March 2nd.

So now, today, June 16 2004, we get this Plea for Help from [H] which you can read above but which I will paraphrase as follows:

"OK, folks, my tail is in the sling and things aren't going so well! Listen--my problem is that when I wrote in September '03 that Robbins and IL were probably a bunch of crooks out to sham investors, I had no proof to back it up. Instead, I unwisely relied on public forum gossip and newpaper clippings, and I reached conclusions based on circumstantial evidence, and I jumped to improper conclusions about some things. So, since I didn't do it back then, I desperately need all of you who are willing to help me to go out and dig up dirt on Tim Robbins--because if I can't prove he's a crook my tail is grass--dig? So, for the sake of my tail and "Freedom of the Press"--which basically just means *my* freedom here--PLEASE SEND IN THE DIRT and give me a helping hand! Please?"

That, unfortunately, is what I read from this plea for help. I cannot see how it will have any bearing whatever on the current litigation which [H] has brought down upon itself.

In conclusion, I want to address some of the things Kyle has said, and that have been echoed by the St. Louis Today article referenced above, which concern SEC reports and other public documents.

The implications made by [H] and now by this newspaper are that IL has been hiding pertinent facts about its business from potential investors, facts which are brought to light in IL's SEC filings.

Uh, I hate to clue these guys in but I guess somebody has to...;) SEC filings of this type are routine and required by law of public corporations operating in the US. All corporations must print in their SEC filings *any* information which might be considered negative. Why? For the sake of investors, that's why. SEC filings are documents routinely read by investors prior to investing in a given company--they are PUBLIC DOCUMENTS available to investors, as well as to people like [H] and newspaper reporters...;)

Specifically, the purpose of SEC filings is to inform investors--that is their basic purpose. So, the only way for IL to be doing something wrong here would be if it DID NOT put this negative information in its SEC filings so that any portential investor could read it at his liesure prior to investing. The definition of what an SEC filing is completely demolishes any possibility of IL trying to hide these facts from anyone. IE, everyone who invests in the company knows all the bad stuff prior to investing. This is most likely why IL isn't being sued by any of its actual investors, despite what [H] has been saying about "protecting" IL's investors, whom I suspect know more than [H] will ever know about making investments of all kinds...;)

Secondly, is it unusual for a startup technology company to run for a couple of years, or longer, on investments alone, prior to getting out a product and taking in money? Heh...;) Goodness no, in fact most tech startups follow exactly this model--look how many years Transmeta, for instance, was funded before Crusoe ever emerged! The list of tech startups, some of them today well known, that have followed this model is a very long list, indeed. Why [H] would think it suspicious that a console company would take 12-18 months to design, develop, and deploy a console from scratch to compete with M$ and Sony, is utterly beyond me. Good grief, we have well-known examples of companies like Valve and ID Software taking as long as 4-5 YEARS between 3d games! I don't see anything alarming at all about the fact that IL is 18 months or so into its existence and isn't yet shipping a product. Good grief. All of this is entirely an issue between IL and its investors--I can't see where [H] fits in at all, frankly. If the IL investors aren't unhappy, certainly [H] has no right to be unhappy.

Also, in the September article, [H] references a resume which [H] admits it obtained directly from Robbins' own web site. This means that Robbins' resume was also a PUBLIC DOCUMENT, which obviously Robbins wasn't hiding, but was instead avidly promoting publicly himself.

For some strange reason known only to [H], [H] apparently thinks that no one apart from [H] is capable of reading and analyzing Robbin's PUBLIC RESUME as reprinted by [H]...;) Good grief, again....;) Doesn't it in the least occur to [H] that if Robbins wanted to HIDE his resume, because it contained incriminating information of some sort, THAT ROBBINS WOULDN'T HAVE PUT IT ON HIS OWN WEB SITE????? I guess not...;)

The part about the 90-day WorldCom employment in 2001 was really, really funny I thought, as [H] somehow connected the 2002 WorldComm bankruptcy with the fact that Robbins left the company a year earlier after having served 90 days there as an "Account Executive." What I get out of that is that Robbins was hired by WorldComm as a salesman of some sort and quit after 90 days. What I don't get out of it is that Robbins has framed the WorldComm executives running the company in such a way that he stole the company blind but managed to place the blame on them, that he also eluded the FBI and the SEC--but only [H] was "smart enough" to finger the real WorldComm culprit--Tim Robbins, who did it all in 90 days without a soul being the wiser...;) Dog-gone, that's funny...;) Heh...;) Unbelievable.

Anyway, that's the way the issue stacks up to me, and although I began this post stating I was baffled I really feel much less baffled now than I did when all of this began. I welcome dissenting opinions and contrary views, of course. I think this is a case of [H] simply biting off more than it could chew this time, and realizing that huffing and puffing away behind a web site "editorial page" is no defense against slander and libel at all. Sure--no question about it--Kyle's got rights, but so do people who aren't in the press as well--like Tim Robbins and everybody else. I think that's the whole point here.

Put away the microscope Walt. Kyle should have said simply, “I refute all 18 allegations but would like to clarify my previous remarks with regards to 5 of themâ€￾.

nelg said:
Put away the microscope Walt. Kyle should have said simply, “I refute all 18 allegations but would like to clarify my previous remarks with regards to 5 of themâ€￾.
When dealings turn to legal action microscopic examinations are necessary, and I think Walt has got a valid point.

I was curious about this new "plea for help" from Kyle myself, I was under the impression that with the "Infinium Labs "Misleads" U.S. District Court" story (EB LINK WARNING! ;) ) from just a few days before that the case for Kyle was looking all ducky.

Something can't be right if Kyle is looking for help, else why look for help? :|

nelg said:

As I said, that is the first thought that crossed my mind, but it just doesn't hold water for me, not in the least because Kyle didn't say what you think he "should have said" here. I mean, if I'm going to reprint a letter containing 18 points of contention about me--if I'm going to reprint that letter in public on my web site for the whole world to read--the last thing in the world I would do is fail to address each point made with which I disagree, concisely and convincingly. I would leave nothing in doubt. Otherwise, what's the point in bothering with a rebuttal at all?

But if it's not in fact meant to be a rebuttal--but actually a retraction--then what Kyle did and the way he did it would then make perfect sense. I just don't see it any other way at the moment, although I certainly will keep an open mind.

Basically this is how I read it.

1)Out of the 18 points that the lawyers wanted addressed only 5 were considered by Kyle to have any merit and were then addressed. This is obvious from the fact that one of the 18 points was to remove the god damned article from his website and its still fing there so your interpertation is questionable on that point alone.

2) Secondly Tim Robbins is probably in the very uncomfortable position right now of answering the question to his original investors of what happened to the 20 Million in capitol he claimed to have before this mess started, the same 20 million he is claiming as lost damages in his suit against Kyle. The 20 million possibly never existed and he may be using the law screen to cover his ass with these investors by saying hey we lost it because many people lost confidence because of this article. Those records are not public the 20 million allegedly existed before Infinium merged with a shell company to become public. Tie this with Robbins last endeavor in which he burned 18 million in investors capitol before he got the company off the ground and things may become more clear.

The oldest investment trick in the book is implying to a potential investor that he better get in now as people are investing quickly and the earlier you get in the better. I have seen it happen first hand, its an old game.

3) Kyle wants help keeping the case in Texas, if the jurisdiction moves to Florida the cost of continuing the case will be too prohibitive for him and he will have no choice but to capitulate. If the case stays in Texas Tim Robbins will most likely have his ass handed to him by a Texas Judge if any of the things we are reading about the allegations against him are true.

4)Infinium may also be using the case as a way to keep their name in the news.. unlikely as it may seem how many of us would be talking about them right now if this lawsuit wasn't happening. We would all be saying "I'll see it when I beliebe it" Now we are saying lets see what happens in this case. Beating Kyle gives infinium a sort of instant legitimacy whether they are legitimate or not.

Stryyder said:
Basically this is how I read it.

1)Out of the 18 points that the lawyers wanted addressed only 5 were considered by Kyle to have any merit and were then addressed. This is obvious from the fact that one of the 18 points was to remove the god damned article from his website and its still fing there so your interpertation is questionable on that point alone.

I really wish you guys would *read* the stuff in the documents as printed on the web site...;) No, "removing the article" was *not* one of the 18 points, but was a demand made in the summary which came *after* the 18 points were made. Go back and look at it--I just did.

You also don't understand that Kyle actually did what the IL lawyers asked and "addressed" all of their points simply by reprinting their letter to him on the [H] website--it was a private letter to him which he was under no compunction or compulsion whatever to reprint publicly. [H] elected to have all of IL's points known publicly simply by the act of publishing the document. So there's no question that [H] "addressed" those points, all 18 of them, by making the letter public. Do you really think [H] would have made the letter public if IL had not asked for a retraction of those specific 18 points? What [H] completely failed to do, though, was to *deny or refute* 13 of them, with the only a slight alteration of 5 of the 18 points [H] published when it published the letter in the first place, in the March 2 article.

2) Secondly Tim Robbins is probably in the very uncomfortable position right now of answering the question to his original investors of what happened to the 20 Million in capitol he claimed to have before this mess started, the same 20 million he is claiming as lost damages in his suit against Kyle. The 20 million possibly never existed and he may be using the law screen to cover his ass with these investors by saying hey we lost it because many people lost confidence because of this article. Those records are not public the 20 million allegedly existed before Infinium merged with a shell company to become public. Tie this with Robbins last endeavor in which he burned 18 million in investors capitol before he got the company off the ground and things may become more clear.

I have no idea what you're talking about here--sorry. Here's a tip, though: IL's investors are grown men and quite capable of handling whatever problems they may have with the companies they invest in. You'd be wise to find specific incidents of IL investors claiming that Robbins defrauded them, and/or filing suit themselves against Robbins for fraud, before you give your ideas any further room to multiply...;) (They don't sound very solid to me.)

The oldest investment trick in the book is implying to a potential investor that he better get in now as people are investing quickly and the earlier you get in the better. I have seen it happen first hand, its an old game.

Do you have any idea what you are saying? Heh...;) If soliciting investment was a crime you'd have to lock up all of the world's corporate executives...:D That's why there are such things as SEC filings you know--investors have to look out for themselves--that's the way it works with all investment. You aren't putting your money in a bank where it is insured by the government, and you aren't guaranteed any return, as you would be if you bought T-bills, for instance. Investing carries a risk for everyone who invests. The courts assume investors are grownups who know what they are doing. When investors invest in technology startups most all of them, I'm sure, know exactly what they are doing. IF they don't they have no business investing anywhere. Right?

3) Kyle wants help keeping the case in Texas, if the jurisdiction moves to Florida the cost of continuing the case will be too prohibitive for him and he will have no choice but to capitulate. If the case stays in Texas Tim Robbins will most likely have his ass handed to him by a Texas Judge if any of the things we are reading about the allegations against him are true.

Please understand that allegations are not considered proof of anything in court. That's the first thing. If you ever wind up in civil court one day yourself--trust me--you'll be very glad that's true. Second thing is--let's see--Kyle can afford to "send a photographer to Florida" to take pictures of empty buildings, he can afford to wage a lawsuit in Texas, and he can afford to accuse people of being crooks *even when they offer to prove otherwise to him and invite him to tour their facilities at no cost to himself*--and he can afford to run a web site--but he can't afford to represent himself in court in Florida, even when he believes himself to be "innocent"? OK--fine by me--it's his decision--just like this entire matter has been his decision from the start, from where I'm sitting.

4)Infinium may also be using the case as a way to keep their name in the news.. unlikely as it may seem how many of us would be talking about them right now if this lawsuit wasn't happening. We would all be saying "I'll see it when I beliebe it" Now we are saying lets see what happens in this case. Beating Kyle gives infinium a sort of instant legitimacy whether they are legitimate or not.

You've totally forgotten a critical point in this entire affair. [H] publicized all of this--not IL. If any entity has been interested in "keeping their name in the news" it would most certainly be [H]--not IL, by any stretch of the imagination. If you read those 18 points thoughtfully you can see that what IL is doing and what its attorneys are doing is total self-defense. Not once has IL publicly called [H] a liar, a con artist, a fraud, or made pleas in newspapers or the Internet for people to send in dirt on Kyle B. I think you've forgotten who started all of this. It started back in September of '03 when [H] published an article about IL which was very long on implication and speculation, but almost void of verified fact.

Your recollection of the events seems incorrect.

1)in February of 2004 Infinium Labs held a PRESS CONFERENCE say that if Hard did not remove the article they would file lawsuits. So this happened before the allegedly private letter

2) The letter with the 18 points was then issued on Feb 27th. (Actually two letters one from the corporate lawyers one from Tim's personal lawyers.

3) This is the [H]ard quote about the letter

The odd thing to me about the above letter is that it continually refers to statements we never made and innuendos that are nonexistent in our article, Behind the Infinium Phantom Console. In fact, after reading the letter I had to wonder if we were actually referencing the same document. Still this is something that needs to be taken very seriously as we are obligated to hear out Infinium Labs’ issues with our article.

After hours of consideration, out of the 18 items noted we have found 5 that were in need of addressing as outlined below. They are numbered to correspond with the request in the above published document. To put it succinctly, none of the changes below do anything to change my thoughts about Infinium Labs or change the overall content of our article in our opinion as it was published at the time.

Which tells me that Hard believes that a number of the 18 points in their opinion HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ARTICLE THEY WROTE!! He specifically says that 5 of the items needed adressing and then lists the corrective action on those 5 items. He doesn't say that the other 13 items were corrected, the article stands in the same light with only those 5 corrections. If he capitulated on the 13 then where the those changes / public statements to show the capitulation.

4) Here is the corrective action

5. We will gladly change the company name from “Emedhire, LLC†to “MEDHIRE, LLC.†Please do note that “Emedhire, LLC†is exactly how the company name was documented on Mr. Roberts' resume and as he identified the company name in a phone interview on September 17, 2003.

8. In reference to BIG, we will gladly remove the statement, “According to this article, they lived the high life on investors' money and then left investors hanging for more than $15 million dollars:†that is being brought to our attention.

The sentence has been changed to quote more accurately, “According to this article, “Broadband executives lived the high life, sponsoring race cars in the Indy 500 and other races, hosting Hollywood parties, buying an interest in an airplane and making thousands of dollars worth of improvements to a $35 million headquarters. But last November (2000), the tech venture went bust. By then it had burned through more than $15 million of investors' money, including some from several St. Louis Cardinals owners. Roberts could not be reached for comment.â€

9. As requested, the duration of Mr. Roberts’ employment duration at WorldCom in our article has been changed from, “SBD - Major Accounts Nov '01-present†as stated on his archived resume to “90 days employment in late 2001.â€

11. We incorrectly reported Tim Roberts' age as 21 years old in 1997. Please do note that Mr. Roberts related to us during a phone interview on September 17, 2003 that he was 22 years of age in 1998. This has been corrected as requested.

12. Infinium Labs logo and Phantom logo were removed as requested on February 19, 2004. We do however believe that the marks were properly used under fair use guidelines. However, since they are not critical to the article’s content, they have been removed./

5 points were addressed in a manner in which [H]ard felt were necessary again if you claim that Hard is capitulating on the other 13 completely then where is the public corrective action.

5) Then we have this statement by Kyle

As for the rest of Infinium Labs' demands, they seem to us to simply not be based in reality. They repeatedly note statements that we never made and seem to draw illogical innuendos from the facts that were documented by Infinium Labs’ CEO Tim Roberts' own website and resume. As for our opinions they are clearly noted as such and we stand by them.

Which again implies that the remainder of the 13 statements are BS in [H]ards opinion.

6)Then [H]ard files the following lawsuit.

On Friday, February 27, 2004, HardOCP.com filed a declaratory judgment lawsuit against Infinium Labs to establish its position that there was nothing improper, untruthful or defamatory about its September 17, 2003 article Behind The Infinium Phantom Console. The lawsuit was filed by this firm in the name of KB Networks, Inc. the owner of HardOCP.com. The lawsuit was filed to clear the air and terminate the flurry of demands, allegations, and defamatory Internet posts directed against HardOCP.com, by Infinium Labs and law firms representing Infinium Labs and its CEO, Tim Roberts. The lawsuit was filed under the Declaratory Judgment Act, which permits a person or entity being threatened with lawsuits from another party to force the issue to be decided, rather than having to operate under a cloud of uncertainty and intimidation. HardOCP.com stands by its article, and we believe that the Federal Court will conclude, as HardOCP.com believes, that all relevant facts in the article are true.

After the lawsuit was filed on Friday, HardOCP.com received another demand letter from attorneys for Infinium Labs detailing the statements in Behind The Infinium Phantom Console that Infinium Labs alleges are at issue. Nothing in that demand letter changes HardOCP.com’s conviction that all of the relevant facts in the article are true. We look forward to a decisive vindication by the Federal Court of HardOCP.com’s credibility, integrity, and right to free speech.
Storm & Hemingway can be found at http://www.alliplaw.com.
So my question is how in any wasy shape or form can you assume that [H]ard is capitulation or agrees to wrongdoing on the other unkown 13 points??

Stryyder said:

So my question is how in any wasy shape or form can you assume that [H]ard is capitulation or agrees to wrongdoing on the other unkown 13 points??

Heh...;) Honestly, while I was interested in this yesterday as I had just read the March 2 article and IL's complaint, today it just seems rather bland and fairly dull. I think you're trying really hard to avoid looking at the points I raised in my original post, and at the any of the points raised in the IL letter reprinted by [H] on March 2.

Specifically I note points 1,2,4 &10, which exactly correspond, nearly verbatim, to the first paragraph of the Sept. article, which I quoted above (and emphasized in bold)--and yet you still keep insisting that nothing in any of the the 18 IL points of contention matches anything written in the Sept. article. I can only conclude that you haven't read the 18 points [H] published from IL's letter, and that you have no desire to do so. I'm only curious as to why you wish to consider this matter from the point of view of one party while completely ignoring the point of view of the other. That's your decision, of course, but I don't see how anyone can comprehend a situation that [H] has continually forced into the public spotlight since the beginning without attempting to look at the issue objectively, and from both sides.

Also, you keep alluding to gossip and hearsay which you don't see any need to verify and substantiate--like your "$20M is gone" statement in your first post, and now this "press conference" given by IL in which you allege that IL publicized all of this prior to writing any kind of letter to [H]. I cannot speak for you, of course, but the first I heard of any of this I heard on the pages of [H], and I can recall reading nothing about this matter from any source, including [H], prior to [H]'s original publicity on this matter concerning their receipt of a letter from IL. So, if you have a link to documentation supporting your contention of a "pre-emptive" IL press conference that was given by IL prior to them sending their letter to [H], in which they made retraction demands, by all means post the link here as I'd be most interested in looking at it.

I want to leave you with a last thought to consider. In the September article, [H] states that the office address for IL is 5380 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key, Florida, 34228. He sends out a photographer to take pictures of empty buildings which he knows IL does not occupy, and reprints those pictures in the September article with the implication that nobody's home because IL is a sham and a fraud, and is only an investor rip-off con.

OK, in point 10 of the IL letter [H] published on March 2, [H] is informed in writing that the business address of IL is in fact CenterePoint, 2033 Main Street, Suite 309, Sarasota, FLA., and is asked to make the correction in his September article to reflect that. (He refuses to correct the article.) He is further informed that the property landlord will vouch for the fact that IL had leased and occupied the office prior to [H]'s September article. But that's not all point 10 states, by any means.

Most damning of all, point 10 of the IL letter [H] published March 2 directly states that prior to the [H] publication of the September '03 article, Kyle himself was extended an all-expenses-paid, personal invitation by Robbins to tour the IL facilities in Sarosota--which he declined to do. IE, these IL guys had basically offered him the "red-carpet" treatment, with very possibly exclusives for [H] in publicizing the Phantom console, and his response was "not interested."

Instead, he publishes information he has already been informed is erroneous as if it was fact instead of fiction. IE, the September article contains information which [H] knew was either false or incorrect or misleading prior to the publication of the Sept. '03 IL article. To me, this is one of the most serious charges in the letter, since if IL can prove it, it will prove [H] knowingly and with premeditation slandered the company and its principals.

Consider that in all of these events Kyle admits that at no point did he ever once leave Texas and travel across a couple of nearby state lines for the purpose of personally investigating anything he wrote in his September article concerning the IL corporation. Considering the nature of what he wrote about these people and their company, I find that absolutely amazing. It proves, to me, once again, that although Kyle wants to wear an "Investigative Journalist" hat--he really has no idea as to how to put it on. And, I think it's gotten him into some trouble, unfortunately.

Last, this brings us full circle back to my original point I made in the initial post: in the March 2 rebuttal-retraction from [H], point #10 is not a point he addresses in any fashion whatever--either to deny it or to refute it or to rebut it. Although the March 2 article provided [H] with the perfect opportunity to rebut all of it, point by point, in detail, Kyle declines to do so--to even comment on points like #10, which contains critical and frankly damning allegations. Points 5, 8, 9, 11, and 12, are the only points Kyle addresses specifically in any manner whatsoever, out of all of them.

Obviously, if the IL letter contains any truth at all--which seems to be the case as [H] did not deny the great majority of the points it raises (if indeed he specifically denied any of them)--Kyle's opinion of this entire matter seems to be:

"I am a member of the press, and Freedom of Speech under the US Constitution allows me to write anything I choose about anyone, whether true or false, whether I know better or not, and I may say anything about anyone without having to shoulder any burden of proof as to the veracity of the comments I publish through my web site."

I guess Kyle never before heard of libel laws? Doesn't know what they are or what they mean? It would seem so--from what he's printed thus far--it would certainly seem so. What Kyle seems to be saying loudly--to me--is that it simply doesn't matter what IL says about itself, or can prove about itself--what's more important than anything is the opinions [H] holds, whatever they may be.

The issue to me here is not whether "Kyle capitulates" as I consider that irrelevant and I don't care whether he does or not. The issue to me is whether or not Kyle printed the truth about IL in the September '03 article. That is the only thing worthwhile at the core of this entire seedy, rank, embarrassing mess, to me.

I am not alluding to gossip or heresay read the brief filed by Kyle's lawyers over at where is phantom. It has the chain of events as I described and a number of items in evidence you will find interesting.

As you obviously have some Axe to grind with Kyle, seem to have very little business and legal experience and refuse to discuss anything but your original speculation I see little reason to continue this 'discussion'.

Stryyder said:
As you obviously have some Axe to grind with Kyle, seem to have very little business and legal experience and refuse to discuss anything but your original speculation I see little reason to continue this 'discussion'.
I don't see this as Walt having an axe to grind, I see this as speculation about a very interesting situation in the gaming world.

I'm actually rooting for Kyle in this one, but that doesn't preclude me from speculating...does it? :|

This is a simple defamation case on crack.

IL tried to force by the threat of legal action the retraction of an [H] article.

[H] called the bluff and forced a lawsuit. This is bad for IL IF if the 20 Million in lost investments were lost not because of the article but because of the fact that they never truly existed. As they may be forced to prove its existence through witnesses and records in order to prove their defamation claim.

Defamation cases work as follows some facts.

The statement(s) alleged to be defamatory must also be a false statement of fact. Since name-calling, hyperbole, or exaggerated and heated words cannot be proven true or false, they cannot be the subject of a libel or slander claim.

The defamatory statement must also have been made with fault. The extent of the fault depends primarily on the status of the plaintiff. Public figures, such as government officials, celebrities, well-known individuals, and people involved in specific public controversies, are required to prove actual malice, a legal term which means the defendant knew his statement was false or recklessly disregarded the truth or falsity of his statement. In general, in most jurisdictions private individuals must show only that the defendant was negligent, that he failed to act with due care in the situation.

A defamation claim will likely fail if any of these elements are not met.

While on many of these issues the burden of proof is on the plaintiff, the primary defenses to a defamation claim are that the statements are true, are not statements of fact, or are privileged. Some defamatory statements may be protected by privilege, meaning that in certain circumstances the interest in communicating a statement outweighs the interest in protecting reputation. For example, most, if not all, jurisdictions recognize a privilege for fair reports of government and judicial proceedings, and for reports of misconduct to the proper authorities or to those who share a common interest (such as within a family or an association). Privileges do vary somewhat from state to state in their scope and requirements. They often apply to non-media defendants to the same degree as to media defendants.

This means since both IL and Tim are public figures that they have to prove Malice to prove defimation also IL has not issued a public statement (Which[H] offered to post) telling us the public why [H]'s article was untrue .

So IL has to prove the [H] statements of facts that led to his opinion are untrue as well as prove that these statements were made maliciously as well in order to win. IMHO IL would have a hard time probing that they were negligent nevermind malicious as if the facts are true a resonable person would probably have come to the same conclusions. As you see in personal libel cases the rules of negligence applies as does the 'reasonable person standard' Proving Malicious intent is much much harder than arguing what a reasonable person may or may not have done.

malice
n. a conscious, intentional wrongdoing either of a civil wrong like libel (false written statement about another) or a criminal act like assault or murder, with the intention of doing harm to the victim. This intention includes ill-will, hatred or total disregard for the other's well-being. Often the mean nature of the act itself implies malice, without the party saying "I did it because I was mad at him, and I hated him," which would be express malice. Malice is an element in first degree murder. In a lawsuit for defamation (libel and slander) the existence of malice may increase the judgment to include general damages. Proof of malice is absolutely necessary for a "public figure" to win a lawsuit for defamation.

Kyle has specifically stated that he continues to stand behind both the veracity of the content of the article and his conclusions. This was done in writing at the time he did the press release about opening the suit against infinium.

Now what the real battle is about is jurisdiction because if IL wins Jurisdicition it is quite possible that [H] would be forced to settle as the costs of pursuing the case in FL would be much higher than doing it in Texas.

Now interesting enough based on some of the evidence I have seen [H] may have a counter defamation suit agains Tim Robbins for stating that Kyle is. the lowest form of life on earth, a yellow journalist, and operates a crappy site run by teenagers, in a public forum on the internet. A copy of this post is in the evidence document is at the where is phantom website.

Stryyder said:
I am not alluding to gossip or heresay read the brief filed by Kyle's lawyers over at where is phantom. It has the chain of events as I described and a number of items in evidence you will find interesting.

Stryyder, first I want to quote you from the above posts you made here:

Stryyder said:

Please enlighten me as to which of these statements above are not gossip and hearsay, concerning this matter....;) I've been extending that offer to you throughout, and you keep ignoring my largess...:D

There's a huge and fundamental piece missing from the puzzle you've cobbled together, Stryyder, and that's what I'm trying to communicate. Here's the missing piece:

Where are the defrauded investors?

Where are the court records--which would be public records--that show that Robbins, et al, or any company his group has formed, is currently under criminal investigation or indictment for defrauding investors? Where are any attendent civil complaints which former Robbins investors have lodged in St. Louis or elsewhere around the country, which would be iron-clad proof that some, or all, of Robbins' investors believe he has defrauded them in some fashion, and are taking legal steps to at the very least recoup their investments?

Simply put, without such records indicating investor dissatisfaction with the ways in which Robbins and his groups have spent their money, there simply exists no basis for [H], you, or me, to conclude that investors are unhappy with Robbins and his groups, much less that they believe themselves to have been defrauded. That goes to the very heart of this entire matter.

Unless [H] is itself an IL investor who feels defrauded, the fact is that when [H] wrote the September IL article, [H] had no evidence that any of IL's investors were even aggrieved by Robbins, much less that any of them felt they had been defrauded. I don't see how any other conclusion is possible from a rational standpoint.

There's another angle, too: what about the IRS--are they interested in Robbins? How about the SEC--are they investigating Robbins for investor fraud? These are no less crucial to [H]'s position than is finding out whether there *are* any Robbins investors who are pointing fingers at Robbins and screaming "Fraud!"

The fact is that if no such investors exist then [H] has no reason, no reason whatsoever, to even imagine that Robbins is defrauding his investors, does he? Further, if Robbins is not under investigation by any legally authorized authority, such as the IRS or the SEC, much less having been sued or charged by any of these authorities on suspicion of such activities, then there is simply no basis for any of [H]'s implications as to Robbins and his group defrauding anyone--is there?

If [H] had such evidence to back up its September '03 implications about IL I would have expected [H] to have included reference to such records in his September article as they would have proved his points to some degree and you and I would not be involved in this discussion...;)

Does that not make perfect sense to you? It surely does to me. Bottom line for me is that unless [H] can prove that defrauded investors exist, or even investors who believe themselves to have been defrauded to the extent that they themselves are pursuing Robbins in some civil or criminal venue, then [H] simply never had a factual or public-records basis from which to imply that IL is anything other than what it represents itself to be. For me, it's open and shut on that basis.

As to what's been printed on Whereisphantom.com, to which you constantly refer, let me provide you with a brief example as to what I think of that:

Let's say that I started a website called whatisstryyder.com, and I printed on that website the following:

whatisstryyder.com said:
Evidence revealed thus far by a number of sources suggests that Stryyder is not human, but is an alien from the Orion constellation. We have received several reports of people claiming to be in possession of photographs of Stryyder showing that he is 12 feet tall, has two heads, and six rows of very sharp and long teeth in each set of protruding mandibles. We have it on good authority that he has twelve brains, each the size of a dime, located at the tips of his octapedal, tentacled and flexible exo-skeleton.

Would the fact that this information was printed on whatisstryyder.com cause you to believe it without hesitation? I rest my case...;)

What is whereisphantom.com? Is it a charitible, objective, independent organization duly licensed to collect evidence surrounding the "mystery of the Phantom console," a site run by a staff of people dedicated to discovering the truth, no matter what it may be? Or is it a cheerleading website set up soley for the benefit of [H] to present us with a view of "The World According to [H]?"

I have already answered that question for myself. I would hope these comments might cause you to at least think about it before citing whereisphantom.com as an unimpeachable source for objective, proven fact. Whereisphantom.com provides a look at only one side of the coin that is the dispute between [H] and IL, as [H] has publicized and characterized that dispute thus far. It makes no attempt at impartiality or objectivity, and is decidedly unapologetic in its bias. It is, in other words, a site dedicated to the distribution of irrelevant propaganda.

Why irrelevant? It's utterly irrelevant because whereisphantom.com has no legal standing in court, and has no legal authority to decide anything. This issue will be decided in court, unless the two parties agree to settle the matter privately. IE, what happens in court, and what you see printed on whereisphantom.com are two entirely different things.

What you misunderstand is that I'm not on anybody's "side"...Heh....;) What I'm trying to glean out of all of this is the truth of the matter. If I was to pick a side, as apparently you've done, then I would be unable to understand the issue because I would be blinded by partiality, and what I want to do here is to "see" as opposed to "not see." (No pun intended.)

When analyzing the nature and structure of a dispute in which two distinct and opposed poles of reality are represented, it is necessary to examine each tree of perception for any obvious flaws in logic or rationality or factuality it may contain. That's what I'm doing here, and that's all I'm doing. I'm pointing out the obvious, more or less.

Last here, I think this situation has the potential for supreme irony...;) If it should turn out that [H] is unable to prove to the court that it had reasonable evidence to support the commments it made on the IL corporation in the September article as to IL being a front, fraud, and sham, with no offices and bogus credentials, etc., then IL will have received a publicity benefit from all of this that is inestimable, I believe. The Phantom will have received a PR "shot in the arm" and boost that IL would not have been able to buy through conventional advertising for any amount of money...;) This dispute has many interesting facets, indeed.

Stryyder said:
Now what the real battle is about is jurisdiction because if IL wins Jurisdicition it is quite possible that [H] would be forced to settle as the costs of pursuing the case in FL would be much higher than doing it in Texas.

Just wanted to briefly touch on a couple of the points you make...

Are you asking me to feel sorry for Kyle if he fails in his bid to "get jurisdiction" in Texas as you portray the matter? If so, I cannot imagine why. Let's review:

Kyle knew prior to writing the September article that IL was based in Florida, not in Texas. That is not open to dispute. The only dispute of record that matters in relation to that is whether or not Kyle knew the company was based in Sarasota as opposed to Longboat Key (my own feeling is that this will be tough for him to deny since his own pictures prove beyond doubt that IL was not in Longboat Key, as he published several pictures showing where IL was not. Heh...;D Aside from that, IL alleges that Kyle knew they were based in Sarasota before he wrote the Sept. article--something Kyle has not denied in any of the documents he has published since concerning this matter, as I relate in my earlier posts re: point #10 of the IL grievance letter published by [H] March 2.) Anyway, important only is that Kyle knew IL was based in Florida, not Texas, and knew it since day 1.

So, should Kyle have reasoned that IL might sue him in Texas instead of Florida, since Florida is IL's legal residence? I don't think he should have been surprised by either the lawsuit, or the fact that it was filed in Florida, since he knew IL was based in FLorida all along, and IL had apprised him of its grievances and that they would sue if he did not address them as they asked him to. He knew all of this prior to IL filing its lawsuit. The fact that he did not take steps to settle prior to IL's suit being filed was entirely his elective decision, and so it's not "unfair" that he should have to live with the consequences of his own decisions, good or ill, in my view.

Further, [H] is a website which is published and viewed across state lines via the Internet, so it would seem he should not have been surprised that IL's suit would have been launched in Federal Court in Florida, instead of state court in Texas, since his website is viewable from Florida and every other state in the Union connected to the Internet backbone, and, again, IL is based in Florida.

(My own completely unproven, unverifiable opinion is that the only thing that suprised Kyle was that IL actually did sue him, instead of just rolling over...;))

Really, he's old enough to understand what he's doing--what's he going to do if he picks on a company, say, in California, which sues him there? Will he expect them to come to Texas, too?...:)

Now interesting enough based on some of the evidence I have seen [H] may have a counter defamation suit agains Tim Robbins for stating that Kyle is. the lowest form of life on earth, a yellow journalist, and operates a crappy site run by teenagers, in a public forum on the internet. A copy of this post is in the evidence document is at the where is phantom website.

Just as an aside, would you mind linking to that "evidence"? (Please don't tell me "I saw it on whereisphantom.com"...;)) It would be interesting to see if you and I might agree on the meaning of "evidence," as I can only conclude from this discussion that we don't. I'll be pleased to be proven wrong about that--so where's your "evidence"...? C'm on, give...;)

If I've got your comment above straight, then, you think it's A-OK for Kyle to publicly label Robbins and IL a con-man and a fraud, respectively, without a shred of proof to back it up; but in response to that smear if Robbins should call [H] "the lowest form of life on earth, a yellow journalist, and operates a crappy site run by teenagers," that would be just horrible...? Is that what you're saying?

Stryyder said:

To borrow from your previous quote:

The statement(s) alleged to be defamatory must also be a false statement of fact. Since name-calling, hyperbole, or exaggerated and heated words cannot be proven true or false, they cannot be the subject of a libel or slander claim.

Since those comments from Roberts seem to fall in to the "name-calling, hyperbole, or exaggerated and heated words" category, they "cannot be proven true or false." So, I can hardly see how Kyle can have any recourse against Roberts for those comments. Of course, I'm not a lawyer, and don't know the first thing about law. But if your quote about defamation is legally correct, then it would seem that hardocp has no chance of a counter defamation suit.

My personal opinion, but I think it's kind of pathetic that Kyle is now asking for people to send in all of their "horror stories" about Tim Roberts. Of course, after seeing some of the stupid crap that he's either done or allowed to be done over at hardforums, I would have to say that I'm not terribly surprised.

digitalwanderer said:
I just find it extremely entertaining all around! :LOL:

It is...it's just one of those strange things you see every now and then that makes me reflect on Shakespeare's concept of the "tragic flaw" in all human beings...;) It's always a bit poignant for me when I see it emerge in others, not to mention the occasions I recognize it in myself, of course...:D

So far this has been an interesting thread, but there have been several mistakes taken by both positions. WaltC is incorrect on several points as is Stryyder.

The court case has progressed far beyond the retraction issue. I'm currently short on time and I'll come back to address any gaps. Let me first address the issue of the "plea for help". This plea is not intended to dig up dirt as WaltC claims. It's actually part of a legal strategy. Tim Roberts can't claim that his reputation was besmerched when it was already tarnished to begin with can it?

Secondly, much of the research that Kyle and Steve did as part of this article has been verified. Further, even larger revelations have come forth as to the various business practices of the company. (BTW, Tim Robbins? The actor? It makes me think that none of you are really paying that close attention.)

Currently, http://www.whereisphantom.com is the best site for all the legal information about the case and for further shenanigans. Take some time to read the legal documents, the interviews and the newspaper articles that describe the issue in greater detail. [Disclaimer: Yeah, I'm an admin of the site. I'm no Mike Wallace, but I promise it's worth your time.]

digitalwanderer said:
When dealings turn to legal action microscopic examinations are necessary

If you put something expressed in a human language under a microscope any pattern you perceive is entirely illusionary, anything we say can only be understood in context ... and meaning is achieved by vote of majority. I think we all know perfectly well what was meant, even you, judges wont be taken in by word games either.

Torgospizza said:
So far this has been an interesting thread, but there have been several mistakes taken by both positions. WaltC is incorrect on several points as is Stryyder.

The court case has progressed far beyond the retraction issue. I'm currently short on time and I'll come back to address any gaps. Let me first address the issue of the "plea for help". This plea is not intended to dig up dirt as WaltC claims. It's actually part of a legal strategy. Tim Roberts can't claim that his reputation was besmerched when it was already tarnished to begin with can it?

Secondly, much of the research that Kyle and Steve did as part of this article has been verified. Further, even larger revelations have come forth as to the various business practices of the company. (BTW, Tim Robbins? The actor? It makes me think that none of you are really paying that close attention.)

Currently, http://www.whereisphantom.com is the best site for all the legal information about the case and for further shenanigans. Take some time to read the legal documents, the interviews and the newspaper articles that describe the issue in greater detail. [Disclaimer: Yeah, I'm an admin of the site. I'm no Mike Wallace, but I promise it's worth your time.]

I was under the impression that they are still arguing the jurisdiction issue and that IL has submitted a brief as to why personal jurisdiction does not apply in Texas and [H] Lawyers have submitted a brief of why it should remain in Texas including in evidence exhibits showing that Tim Robbins either misled or lied ot the court in a deposition in the IL brief.

The court has not yet ruled on the jurisdiction issue.

I have recommend that Walt C read those documents and he has either not done so or has ignored their content as they do not support his argument.

WaltC said:
It is...it's just one of those strange things you see every now and then that makes me reflect on Shakespeare's concept of the "tragic flaw" in all human beings...;) It's always a bit poignant for me when I see it emerge in others, not to mention the occasions I recognize it in myself, of course...:D
Yeah, it has that "train wreck" attraction for me. Even if I wanted to stop following this I don't think I could, I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame. ;)

Thanks for the post Torgospizza, it gave me food for thought AND made me hungry at the same time! (Your nickname, now I have an incredible craving for pizza! :LOL: ) Welcome to B3D. :)

MfA said:
If you put something expressed in a human language under a microscope any pattern you perceive is entirely illusionary, anything we say can only be understood in context ... and meaning is achieved by vote of majority. I think we all know perfectly well what was meant, even you, judges wont be taken in by word games either.
I didn't mean quite THAT extreme of a microscope, I was just trying to point out that words do have different meanings in the legal world at times and that the exact way things are phrased can be very important in legal dealings.

I'm not trying to define "it" or anything. ;)

Back