Buying decision - DS or BB? *spawn

Apologies in advance if this is off topic. I'm thinking of getting one of the Souls games or Bloodborne, mainly for the art/creature design. Which game is the most interesting in that aspect?

Apologies in advance if this is off topic. I'm thinking of getting one of the Souls games or Bloodborne, mainly for the art/creature design. Which game is the most interesting in that aspect?

Bloodborne is more complete on it's own and you can find it for cheap right now. Dark Souls 3 has a lot of references to previous Dark Souls games that you won't get if you haven't played them first. So i'd say go for Bloodborne, even though Dark Souls 3 might be an easier entry to the series due to significantly lowered difficulty in the initial areas of the game.

Yeah, that's one thing that surprised me a lot. Darks Souls 2 only have vague hints and links to Dark Souls 1. Dark Souls 3 goes full nostalgia fan service with lots of references and lots of locations from Dark Souls 1.

Regards,
SB

I'm almost 30 hours into DS3 at this point and put in probably close to 100 in BB. I think I like BB better and the setting is more unique. While DS3 looks great and has some interesting art, I think BB offers something different. As a game, I think I like BB better as well.

Are there more bosses in DS3 than BB? Have to say the creature design in these games are pure work of art!

Ds3 seems to be around 20, BB was 12 normal bosses + 15 new ones in chalice dungeons + 5 in the dlc.

Ds3 seems to be around 20, BB was 12 normal bosses + 15 new ones in chalice dungeons + 5 in the dlc.
Ah thanks, sounds pretty awesome to me. I only wish they're a bit easier so I can replay them sooner. Or the game allows us to save a checkpoint at each boss fight.

They always have bonfires close to the bosses so it's never really hard to repeat a boss fight :)

They always have bonfires close to the bosses so it's never really hard to repeat a boss fight :)
Yeah but when you finished the game, it doesn't have those individual save points so I have to play from the beginning again to rematch. And knowing how long it takes me to kill a boss it's gonna take forever to get to where I want again.

Played DS3 for a week now. Damn great game. It's rather phenomenal what From Software pumps out given they're basically Call of Duty-ing the shit out of their franchises at this point. DS3 basically has the breadth of the older series entries while still operating at Bloodborne's level of detail. Given that you're new to the series, the level of fan service DS3 tends to operate at shouldn't really bother you either. I thought it was a bit much to be honest, especially since they dropped the ball hard when reworking one particular returning location that was already quite underwhelming in DS1. My biggest gripe with DS3 is the sheer abundance of bonfires (i.e. checkpoints). You rarely have go for more than 5 minutes to reach the next one, and it really deflates the sense of tension the series prides itself on. It's almost all about the boss battles now. There are definitely exceptions to this rule, but they are few and far between.
All in all I still think Bloodborne was a tighter, more consistent, much more surprising, and rather more challenging experience.

Played DS3 for a week now. Damn great game. It's rather phenomenal what From Software pumps out given they're basically Call of Duty-ing the shit out of their franchises at this point. DS3 basically has the breadth of the older series entries while still operating at Bloodborne's level of detail. Given that you're new to the series, the level of fan service DS3 tends to operate at shouldn't really bother you either. I thought it was a bit much to be honest, especially since they dropped the ball hard when reworking one particular returning location that was already quite underwhelming in DS1. My biggest gripe with DS3 is the sheer abundance of bonfires (i.e. checkpoints). You rarely have go for more than 5 minutes to reach the next one, and it really deflates the sense of tension the series prides itself on. It's almost all about the boss battles now. There are definitely exceptions to this rule, but they are few and far between.
All in all I still think Bloodborne was a tighter, more consistent, much more surprising, and rather more challenging experience.

Yeah i agree on all points, i haven't finished it yet but I enjoyed the combat in Bloodborne more than i did in Dark Souls 3 (mind you i usually only play dex/high mobility classes). Ds3 has some very cool boss fight though, really loving the design of most of them so far (after the first 4-5).

Back