Burnout 3

randycat99 said:
Maybe Cell architecture will change all, but be sure to still have plenty of "pc-esque" games on future consoles. ;)

What's the point of that? We already have PC's to fill that role.

Cheaper PC, maybe? Xbox was a way to play "PC-level" games with less money... in old days, Sega Genesis and the likes were ways to play arcade ports in home. If it could also run Excel and Word it would be a drastically different story... :LOL:

pahcman said:
Citerion made it sound like it was THE Renderware engine for PS2.
Developers have always said that their games/engines utilise the target platform to its fullest. Getting them to tell the "truth" would be like asking a mom to admit that her child is ugly and dumb.

This argument is very interesting. In order for a game to look "real" it will need a very high level of AA in order to get rid of jagged edges. You might as well up the resolution also. It is rather simple, the higher the resolution the more detail.

I guess an example is worth it, what looks more "real" to you randycat, a VHS movie or a DVD movie? Which one is clearer and has more detail? Which format do you prefer?

Resolution plays a much more important part than some are suggesting. It is still possible to have plenty of oher effects on screen while going up in resolution. Those effects will look a lot better and more "real" at the same time.

In order for a game to look "real" it will need a very high level of AA in order to get rid of jagged edges.

Standard definition broadcast TV isn't any higher resolution than the games we play and yet looks more real. You also may want to take a closer look at some SD broadcast video because it generally has jaggies too ;)

I guess an example is worth it, what looks more "real" to you randycat, a VHS movie or a DVD movie?

I think randy's point is that we haven't even achieved "real" at VHS resolution so why are we so intent to move onto higher resolutions?

wco81 said:
I remember when Tom Kalinske said 16-bit Genesis was all the power you needed for NTSC.

That's true isn't it? The Genesis still has features that haven't been surpassed on current gen hardware! Blast Processing(C) anyone?

Regardless of what people think, whatever ends up being "more real"--or rather "more cool and desirable for the audience"--for the least money is the way the industry will push most. I'd rather developers and publishers would look in many directions at the same time--with closer to equal effort--so that nothing gets stunted. Buuuut... unlikely.

kaching said:
I think randy's point is that we haven't even achieved "real" at VHS resolution so why are we so intent to move onto higher resolutions?

Ding, ding, ding, ding!!! Give that man a prize! :D

By golly, I was getting frustrated that no one was going to get this.

One reason the world is moving to higher resolutions is that higher resolution displays are being developed.

Billion are being poured in to make flat panel displays. These flat panels aren't necessarily high-definition. But they're certainly higher resolution than VHS.

The other thing about HDTV is that when you view an NTSC signal on it, it looks fuzzy and worse. The reason is, these high resolution displays show all the shortcomings of a weak-quality image or signal.

So non-HDTV games on HDTV displays, which are selling at high double-digit growth every year, will look bad.

randycat99 said:
kaching said:

Ding, ding, ding, ding!!! Give that man a prize! :D

By golly, I was getting frustrated that no one was going to get this.
Heh...well, who knows...maybe with this generation expected to have a longer and more fruitful lifespan than previous generations of hardware someone might get around to using the hardware in really novel ways once most devs have moved onto next gen work.

From Gamespot review:

"The Xbox is much faster than the noticeably poky PlayStation 2 version :?: , but you'll still be waiting a bit longer than you'd like, regardless of which version you're playing."

Is it so?? BTW, did anyone play NFSU2 demo which shipped with B3?? How is it?

Deepak said:
From Gamespot review:

"The Xbox is much faster than the noticeably poky PlayStation 2 version :?: , but you'll still be waiting a bit longer than you'd like, regardless of which version you're playing."

Is it so???

They probably forgot how to play PS2 games. (X) IS THE ACCELLERATOR!!!

Haven't played the xbox version of BO3, but I just got the PS2 version yesterday.
From the couple of hours that I played it, I didn't notice any slowdowns at least, or jerkiness or anything. It runs a smooth 60fps as did BO2.
The speed at which the cars travel is fast enough at least to me, if not even too fast even with the underpowered initial cars in your carage.
Loading speeds aren't noticeably long either, if anything they feel faster than average.
Tonight I'm planning to race online, I'll propably be there as R-Rbit (Edit: Some idiot had already registerd that name, so I'm now RRbit6). Don't know on which server, as I haven't yet tried it online.

They were only talking about load times there. (And they're not really bad, it's just the game is FAST and you want to PLAY MORE NOW and the adrenaline pumps. ;) ) The game on both systems runs very smooth (though I've probably only played about half the tracks so far).

cthellis42 said:
They were only talking about load times there. (And they're not really bad, it's just the game is FAST and you want to PLAY MORE NOW and the adrenaline pumps. ;) ) The game on both systems runs very smooth (though I've probably only played about half the tracks so far).

I've only played beta copies of the PS2 version, did they fix the reloading from disc everytime you restart one of the crash events? Doe s the Xbox version do the same thing?

ERP said:
I've only played beta copies of the PS2 version, did they fix the reloading from disc everytime you restart one of the crash events? Doe s the Xbox version do the same thing?
No - that's why people are complaining about load times. They aren't long in themselves, but they happen rather frequently.
And afaik XBox does the same, though I only have second hand info on that as I haven't played it myself.

Pitty.

I thought that was rather odd, since they can replay the whole thing anyway they have to have the original state stored in memory, so it makes no sense to me that they have to reload.

It was probably just easier.

ERP said:
I thought that was rather odd, since they can replay the whole thing anyway they have to have the original state stored in memory, so it makes no sense to me that they have to reload.
It reloads before the replay actually, but yeah, it's usually easier to just reboot the system then trying to do cleanup to get it to original state.

Then again I don't know how their replay works either - their dynamic system doesn't seem to be active all the time in the game, and they appear to use lots of precomputed stuff during crashes, so it's probably easier to restart that then if you use a proper 'real' dynamics system throughout *shrug*.

Back