Broken pin

ivzk

Newcomer
I bought an amd64 2800 off of ebay with a broken pin. Only paid 70cdn. for it so I figured why not. I know I can fix it using the wire in the pin hole trick, I'm just wondering if I should even try, as I've heard that some of the pins don't actually do anything. According to the datasheet, the pin that is broken is for the MEMDQS. Is this pin important or not?

Thanks guys.

ivzk said:
I bought an amd64 2800 off of ebay with a broken pin. Only paid 70cdn. for it so I figured why not. I know I can fix it using the wire in the pin hole trick, I'm just wondering if I should even try, as I've heard that some of the pins don't actually do anything. According to the datasheet, the pin that is broken is for the MEMDQS. Is this pin important or not?

Thanks guys.
IIRC that is one of the DRAM clock pins. Your processor won't be able to talk to its memory without it.

Hey tell me how well this works.

My friend got in a hurry to put his computer together w/o my help and busted two pins off a 2600+ so I got it fromhim. I tried soldering on two new pins (that I made from a strand of copper wire). It was too difficult in that if I could get them attached which I could then I could not cut them off to the correct length. Anyway do you just stick a wire into the socket so it sticks into the top, or do you use a needle tip?

Well I ran into some problems. I used a piece of telephone wire (the old solid copper kind) and put it in the pin hole where the corresponding pin is missing. Then I cut the top of the wire to the correct length so that the wire sticking out touches the little goop of weld where the original pin was attached to the chip.

I'm having some trouble getting the computer to turn on. I can't have my disk drives plugged in at the same time as the hd. Even when only the harddrive is plugged in I still have to play around with the button to get it to turn on. I have a cheap ass psu with only 14A on the 12volt line. So i'm pretty sure it's the psu.

Anyways the mb will recognize the CPU and the memory, then it will flash the temp and voltages on the bottom of the screen (forget what epox calls that but it's on all their motherboards.) Then it locks up with a 6d code.

As far as I can tell , the CPU is fine, but I still have some gremlins I gotta chase out of there.

Back