Brand Loyalty

Scali said:
Athlon64/Opteron may have mobile technology to cut it down, but you disqualified that yourself.

No, i didn't disqualify mobile technology. I disqualified CPU's that aren't available for the desktop.

I never said that people with another opinion are automatically zealots. But you have to be honest and admit that the pro-AMD people here really derailed this thread in trying to convince me that AMD is better, and that my arguments were wrong etc.

I'm of the opinion that you derailed this thread when trying to convince us that AMD is still behind by comparing desktop chips against either mobile chips or server specific chips that cost 10 000 $.

No, i didn't disqualify mobile technology. I disqualified CPU's that aren't available for the desktop.

You also disqualified Pentium-M which IS available for the desktop, as stated before... If you still don't believe it, see here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/22/hitachi_pentium_m_desktop/
You can also build them yourself, even with mini-ITX boards.
So while Hitachi is one of only a few brands that offers complete Pentium-M desktops, many people build their own, and you can probably order them from most small OEMs, which build custom systems from standard components, since the components are freely available.

I'm of the opinion that you derailed this thread when trying to convince us that AMD is still behind by comparing desktop chips against either mobile chips or server specific chips that cost 10 000 $.

Damn, you must really be blinded by AMD-love. You apparently didn't read any of the thread, other than some statements that were less favourable to AMD.
You misread that once, I explained it, and you still hold on to your misinterpretation. How rude.

Guys....please don't let this Intel/AMD thing get personal....... BTW, this thread is way off track, get it back on or I'll close it.... You guys want to debate processors, do it in the hardware forum......

I don't want to debate processors. As far as I'm concerned, the debate was more about chipsets and cooling problems than about the CPUs themselves anyway.

We could debate graphics cards, if the AMD-zealots shut up.

As I said before, to me, the choice for a certain brand of 3d accelerator depends mostly on the features and performance offered these days, since the image quality and drivers seem to be fairly matched.
By the looks of it, I will be switching from GeForce to Radeon on a regular basis for a while :)
I had one GeForce and one Radeon so far, and if I were to upgrade now, I'd get a GeForce 6800, no doubt.

thread

martrox said:
Guys....please don't let this Intel/AMD thing get personal....... BTW, this thread is way off track, get it back on or I'll close it.... You guys want to debate processors, do it in the hardware forum......

I started this thread about brand-loyalty .... so maybe it's right on track?

Personally, I buy AMD because it's cheaper and I don't have a lot of money. Haven't had any problems with the product yet. I'm a big gamer, and AMD has always had great gaming performance for the dollars spent.

I have no doubts that Scali has had bad experiences with AMD and good experiences with Intel, and do not doubt that Intel chipsets are very stable. Scali has evaluated the performance of the different processors to suit his needs, so it seems like he took the right approach.

These Intel vs AMD or Nvidia vs ATI are strange. It's not a good vs evil argument. Both companies make a product. It's not a moral argument. I suppose it could be if you were evaluating the business practices of a commpany rather than it's product ie. outsourcing. Yet it seems many people approach the situation as if it were. They defend the "honour" of their favourite companies .... (I'm doing my best to tie this back into the start of the thread) ... Think about the amount of time that has been put into this thread. Why, as customers, do any of you feel we owe this much of our time to these companies? We have already given them our money for their product. Is that not enough?

I just find it interesting that any PC hardware discussions eventually get disrailed by ATI vs Nvidia or Intel vs AMD arguments. I'm just trying to promote some self-evaluation on how these discussions are handled. Is it really worth our time and effort to protect the marketing images of companies that already earn our dollars? Does it do anyone any service to continue those types of discussions, or do they detract from the quality of other information we could be gathering and evaluating as a community? Is it impossible to avoid these arguments, by the nature of their subject?

I hope that's enough to get things back on track .... or ... whatever.

No matter what hardware site there is, there will always be bickering. There is nothing wrong with brand loyalty, I use cars or certain electronic companies as examples. People prefer Ford Trucks vs. GM, or Sony Tv's over RCA...there is probably a good reason why they do i.e better overall quality in their eyes, price etc.

When brand loylalty overcomes common sense, then that is where the problem starts...i.e 5800 U owners are a good example.

Think about the amount of time that has been put into this thread. Why, as customers, do any of you feel we owe this much of our time to these companies? We have already given them our money for their product. Is that not enough?

Well, in my case I didn't get my money's worth, and I am not a satisfied customer. Because of all the time and money I spent on it, and the poor results I got, I am still pissed about it. I have no idea what the motives of the others are, other than being AMD-zealots. They are not helping me anyway.

Is it impossible to avoid these arguments, by the nature of their subject?

Apparently not, I didn't want to argue about my problems with AMD from the start, but people just wouldn't let it go. Somehow they are blinded by AMD. Especially Bjorn is an interesting case, if you look at his answers, you have to conclude that he hasn't even read most of what has been said, or he is ignoring it at least.

As I said before, I am not a fan of a certain brand, I am a fan of the product that gives me the best quality, features, value-for-money, and that sort of thing. But for some people this doesn't seem to matter at all, they will blindly stick to one particular brand, for some kind of emotional reasons? Does this only happen with adolescents or are there adults too, who are acting this way?

AMD is better than Intel. Intel sucks, Intel's too slow and Intel have CPUs that are way too hot and they cause frequent crashes and Intel mobos suck.

K.I.L.E.R said:
AMD is better than Intel. Intel sucks, Intel's too slow and Intel have CPUs that are way too hot and they cause frequent crashes and Intel mobos suck.

Since someone said it, it must be true. :p

K.I.L.E.R said:
Psssst! You forgot that Intel CPUs cost way too much and only AMD makes affordable CPUs that kick ass. ;)

Back