Boycott Sapphire

Jabbah

Newcomer
Found this interesting site of the inquirer-

http://www.boycottsapphire.com

However, it apears the only error is the link to the product description that the sites link to on Sapphires site. The products been sold do not say they are the pro and clearly have the 128bit in the title.

Am i missing something here? Are Sapphire being underhand devious demons in this cut throat business?

No worse than Gainward, who seem to label a good fraction of their product line-up as "Ultra", regardless of whether or not it is Ultra or not:

Gainward Ultra/2000-series
Gainward PowerPack! Extreme/2600 Golden Sample
6145 - NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra, 256MB 1.6ns DDR3
Specifications | Images | Drivers | Bios | PDF-Datasheet

Gainward PowerPack! Ultra/2600 Golden Sample
6015 - NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra, 256MB 1.6ns DDR3

Gainward PowerPack! Ultra/2400 Golden Sample
6039 - NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, 256MB 1.6ns DDR3

Gainward PowerPack! Ultra/2200 Golden Sample
6053 - NVIDIA GeForce 6800, 256MB 2.8ns DDR

Gainward PowerPack! Ultra/2200
6060 - NVIDIA GeForce 6800, 256MB 2.8ns DDR

Gainward PowerPack! Ultra/2100 Golden Sample
6077 - NVIDIA GeForce 6800, 128MB 2.8ns DDR

Gainward PowerPack! Ultra/2100
6084 - NVIDIA GeForce 6800, 128MB 2.8ns DDR

Saw a thread over at Rage3D telling people to boycott Sapphire - looks someone got suckered into buying a 128-bit PRO from an online store that didn't list it as such. The 128-bit PRO's from Sapphire were reported about a month ago:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040521081115.html
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20040522/newitem.html

Seems like Sapphire have done their part, these people would be better off directing their efforts at getting the stores to list them correctly.

nutball said:
No worse than Gainward, who seem to label a good fraction of their product line-up as "Ultra", regardless of whether or not it is Ultra or not:

I disagree, it is a lot worse than that. At least none of those 6800s have crippled memory bus.

I think there's a 64-bit GAinward FX5200 "Ultra," though I'm not sure.

But I agree that those Sapphire "9800" "Pros" are a total farce. Not just NOT 256-bit, but not even Pro clocks (it's 128-bit with just 9800 325/290 clocks)!

ANova said:
Twas only a matter of time.

Indeed, the makers have been stiching(or trying to) consumers for far too long. for example, the abomination of a card called 9600se, imagine the surprise on the poor punters face when upgrading from a 91/200 :LOL:, to find that everything runs slower, and paid an extra $80 more than what he payed for his 9200 for the privlege. this is only one of dozens of possible outcomes because of the current state of affairs.

but, i think the onus should go back to ati and nvidia, as its their lack of enforcing some kind of rule-set for Mftrs to stick buy, eg, you must have "x" interface, "y" ram, "z" core to be able to name your card to xxxxx.
or, simply not allow any(lower spec)deviation off reference design, and if that means ati and nvidia needs to add a couple more cards to the line up, so be it, and stop the madness.

last year , i'd got a 9500pro and my mate went to get what seemed to be one of the last into the country.... *luckily* on the way home he stopped at my house to compare ( mine was sapphire his was albatron) . i got a bit susp coz it didnt quite seem the same (this is before sticking the card in),, now of course the box is just "same box for all parts" , but we looked up the product code online,,, 9500 NOT 9500pro..........

went back to the shop (quickly) and took ages talking to the guy there,, the problem they had was that there are no real discerning features, but they believed the product code information..... after about 15 mins they refunded the money .

they werent happy,, they'd been "stung" by their supplier ,,, mate decided to buy a 9700pro instead ( from somewhere else coz they didnt have any in stock)

-dave-

davefb said:
last year , i'd got a 9500pro and my mate went to get what seemed to be one of the last into the country.... *luckily* on the way home he stopped at my house to compare ( mine was sapphire his was albatron) . i got a bit susp coz it didnt quite seem the same (this is before sticking the card in),, now of course the box is just "same box for all parts" , but we looked up the product code online,,, 9500 NOT 9500pro..........

went back to the shop (quickly) and took ages talking to the guy there,, the problem they had was that there are no real discerning features, but they believed the product code information..... after about 15 mins they refunded the money .

they werent happy,, they'd been "stung" by their supplier ,,, mate decided to buy a 9700pro instead ( from somewhere else coz they didnt have any in stock)

-dave-

I believe ATI's online product codes are borked. I think they show all 9800-class cards as being the same.
________
Honda fcx

Last edited by a moderator:
* For end users in the USA, phone 909-594-3128. You will need to present the product, sales receipt and provide the discounted retail price difference of $25.
* For end users in Asia contact +852-2689-8888 and request the procedure for upgrade.

Sapphire? Hello? Earth station talking here! You hear me? Good!
Now...
Take that plastic globe map ball of yours if its handy! Ready? Ok!

Now...

Search for Europe! No... not Eyrup. Eirat? Close... but...

E-U-R-O-P-E! Found any? No? Try again!

(edit: At least us Finns still in boycott, edit2: at least we're cautious :D
edit3: Hell actually I don't even know if they sell them here anyways, see post below) :oops:

Actually the situation is so confusing, I have no idea if they are or aren't on sale here.

I do know that there are HUGE amount of different named Sapphire products for sale around here in tens of different stores, most of which operate in Internet and mark their products real badly.

Anyways the 128bit interface has been a news item here too so I was assuming that of course those cards were for sale here, but now that I'm searching for them, I can't be sure if I've found any. People are, however very cautious now about buying any "Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro 128 Mt AGP" of which there are a lot for sale for about 230 euros.

However, it now seems probable that most likely that 128 bit r9800 pro sapphires are not meant to be for sale here, at least through official channels. Unofficial importers are a different story altogether, however.

Now that would explain the lack of return options for europe at least :)

Back