Bluray + Media Simultaneous release

archie4oz said:
Actually it's Charlie's Angles 2, and it's only been on limited release to player manufacturers as a test disc to use for player validation (although the disc is only in MPEG2). As for other films, I haven't heard of any being released. It'd be pretty easy to do so though quickly as pretty much anything released by SPE in the past 6 or so years has a 1080p digital master...

Apparently some people believe all movies should have 4k scans.

And the HD-DVD contingent, led by the MS guy, are claiming all SPE movies will be MPEG2 indefinitely and that MPEG2 on the SL BD-ROM won't work for movies like Lawrence of Arabia.

Warners is rumored to be looking at VC-1 but putting it on BD-9 discs, that is, DVD-9 using blue laser.

I think that thread also speculated on a $1300 player. Presumably it will record and be full-featured (things like PIP, maybe a hard disk). There are suppose to be two tiers of players for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. The higher tier will have all these interactive features which few viewers seem interested in.

wco81 said:
And the HD-DVD contingent, led by the MS guy, are claiming all SPE movies will be MPEG2 indefinitely and that MPEG2 on the SL BD-ROM won't work for movies like Lawrence of Arabia.

I dont understand. Why wouldn't it work? Lawrence of Arabia was already demoed on Blu Ray at one of the recent trade shows.

seismologist said:
I dont understand. Why wouldn't it work? Lawrence of Arabia was already demoed on Blu Ray at one of the recent trade shows.

Duh, because MS said so.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that to get a certain quality of 1080p with Mpeg2 you're going to be eating up space real fast, and if Lawrence of Arabia is sufficiently long it would need a bit rate cut to fit it all (on an SL disc, that is). If it was truly a prob Sony could use one of the several other compression schemes, like h.264.

1080p h.264 can hold like 4+ hours I believe (maybe more?) on an SL BD.

seismologist said:

Well unless you stayed for the full 3hours and 36 minutes of it, I'd question whether they had the full movie in mpeg2 on a single layer BD or not.

seismologist said:
Are you sure it's been demoed? Sony have only mastered one movie for demonstration so far and that's Charlies Angels. If LoA has been shown, it is unlikely to be complete.

I guess he's referring to this:

Source: BD-ROM White paper

Lawrence of Arabia is around 220 minutes long. In MPEG-2, the movie length would produce unacceptable bitrates for a 25GB capacity. I'd expect it on 2 discs if MPEG-2 was going to be used.

It will be but basically what the Blu-Ray detractors are saying are:

1) They will use MPEG2 and it will have to be high bit rate, at least in the high teens, maybe over 20, maybe over 25.

2) Lawrence of Arabia is too long to fit on a single-layer BD-ROM at those high bit rates.

I think MS has implied that dual-layer BD-ROM won't be available for several years if ever, calling it "science fiction."

One thing though, you will probably never seen Lawrence of Arabia on HD-DVD if it is indeed owned by Sony's studio.

Back