Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Oct 29, 2008.

1. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

2. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

I own both those movies and they both look fantastic. Batman Begins does have some compression artifacts visible in some fast-moving scenes though, never saw any in Fifth Element. Fifth Element has more noise, however.

3. nicolasb

Regular

I'm speaking from experience, not theory. I use a Lumagen video processor, which is generally reckoned to have about the best upscaling currently available in a consumer device - certainly better than you'll find in any upscaling DVD player. The difference what it and my TV can do is, at best, subtle. The difference between its upscaled SD and genuine HD is vast, night-and-day, chalk-and-cheese different.

I dare say that if you watch HD on a tiny screen from a long way away the difference is much smaller; but that doesn't make it correct to suggest that they're equivalent unless you qualify it by adding something about screen size and viewing distance.

4. kyleb

Veteran

So it seems your TV already has a fairly good scaler, many don't.

5. patsu

Legend

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/high-def/sonys-bishop-blu-ray-sales-are-encouraging-14012

6. manux

Veteran Regular

7. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

BluRay player sales are overtaking DVD players already in Japan. It's going pretty much as I expected - the hardware threshold is lower compared to VHS (all your DVDs still work and sometimes look better vs VHS tapes being rendered useless), and the software threshold will be higher (you don't have to replace all your DVD discs as badly as you wanted to replace your VHS tapes, DVDs will always still work). If Digital Copy takes off though who knows DVD releases will go out the window altogether.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/blu-ray-over-takes-dvd-in-japan

8. Betanumerical

Veteran

I can't stream 720P over my wireless network let alone the internet.

9. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

Yeah not everyone lives in Australia though.

10. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

Indeed!
    802.11G had more than enough bandwisth to stream a 720P rip- i.e something in the 5Mb/s ABR range.

11. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I've streamed 10Gb+ X264 1080P movies over 802.11G wireless to my PS3 several times.

12. Betanumerical

Veteran

My PS3 isn't right next to my router and can barely do 720P. (its 3 rooms away, double brick walls ftl)

The point I was making was, even though America and a couple of other countries internet is up to the scratch to stream 720P on a good day, there are places were it just won't work, and as such DD are not feasible ATM.

13. Mintmaster

Veteran

True, it's not ready ATM for everyone, but BluRay is aiming for more than just temporary success.

The bigger question is whether enough people will go to BR in the next 10-20 years to make it worthwhile for Sony before DD takes over. The current target audience for expanded adoption is fairly technically inclined and likely has a decent internet connection, so I don't think BR growth is an easy task in the next couple years. Actually, the general use internet connection probably isn't DD's biggest threat anyway, as the telephone and cable companies are the ones that have the biggest penetration in the livingroom and the easiest path to content delivery.

14. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

In such a situation I suppose wired would be a much better solution.
    How much throughput can you sustain?