Blazing Fast NVMEs and Direct Storage API for PCs *spawn*

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by DavidGraham, May 18, 2020.

1. DmitryKo

Regular

DirectStorage for Windows is going to be introduced at Game Stack Live (April 20-21, 2021).
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/games/events/game-stack-live/

Kej, Silent_Buddha, manux and 5 others like this.
  2. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Awesome, I was just thinking about this last night wondering if it was going to turn out to be one of those much talked about techs that never see the light of day. This is definitely a date for my diary.

PSman1700 and Remij like this.
  3. Remij

Newcomer

Yes! I can't wait to find out more about this. Hopefully we get details on the requirements and how DirectStorage incorporates RTX I/O and AMD's support.

PSman1700 and pjbliverpool like this.
  4. Dampf

Newcomer

Well a Microsoft engineer from the dev discord said DirectStorage works in conjunction with Sampler Feedback Streaming.

So chances are you just need a DX12U GPU and a regular NVMe SSD. But I too wonder if it's really that easy.. April can't come soon enough

Remij likes this.
  5. Scott_Arm

Legend

I'm wondering if it's going to require resizable BAR support, or something like that.

6. manux

Veteran Regular

Microsoft probably provides API. From API pov it's likely easy but will require rewriting engine to support streaming optimally. Behind the API is layer of hw that could require specific implementation both in driver and hw to be optimal. Works isn't necessarily same as optimal.

Worst case is engines like gtav which uses single thread for very long loading period. It wouldn't magically become faster as there is some insane cpu bottle neck that would need to be worked around. Similarly other games/engines could do something in cpu to process loaded data that would require to be changed for optimal performance.

7. DmitryKo

Regular

They both make two important parts of what they call the Xbox Velocity Architecture (which also includes hardware LZ-family decompression).
    On Xbox Series X (and DirectX 12 Ultimate GPUs), Sampler Feedback augments Tiled Resources to help determine which missing tiles and MIP levels are to be streamed into video memory, while DirectStorage would help improve loading times on NVMe disks.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dire...edback-some-useful-once-hidden-data-unlocked/

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/14/a-closer-look-at-xbox-velocity-architecture/

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directx-12-ultimate-for-holiday-2020/

#487 DmitryKo, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Kej, Jawed, Dampf and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dampf

Newcomer

Well hopefully not. That would exclude too many users from DirectStorage. And frankly, I don't see a reason why it could be depenend on rBAR.

PSman1700, Rootax and pjbliverpool like this.