bittorrent question

difference

The main difference is the way you find files. There aren't any bittorrent servers, really. To download a file using bittorrent you need to find a link to a tracker. There is no way to do a search in bittorrent to find stuff. You have to find a link somewhere. It also downloads much faster than emule. But the basic principle of forced uploading and downloading from multiple users is the same.

Why are downloads faster? I began downloading a big file this afternoon and it hasn't stopped ever since. eMule download rates aren't that regular.

BitTorrent implement a file swarming system. The more people connected to the tracker and downloading the same file, the more people uploading pieces of it to each other.

Bye!

Practically, BT files die fast compared to emule/edonkey. Some really popular torrents might last for months, as long as the tracker is up and hordes of seeders/leechers are connected; I've seen others died in less than 2 days. Personally, I seldom bother with torrents >2 weeks old. Files in emule/edonkey are more "stable" in this respect though they work really slow for me (like ~1KB/s) whereas its possible for my connection (1.5Mbps ADSL) to be saturated by BT downloads.

I dunno, some older torrents load faster for me than new ones sometimes.

I've been getting into anime and there are some serious seeders for it. :)

I still don't know what's the main difference between BitTorrent and eMule/eDonkey. They're based on the same principle (thousands of users sharing portions of a file).

What exactly makes BitTorrent faster? Is it the simple fact that the BitTorrent network is more popular than eMule/eDoneky?

I really don't see any difference between eMule and BitTorrent either. Both seem to use the same concept. Break the file into smaller parts. Undoubtable there will be slight difference between implementation, but I'm guessing it's purely a number of users thing.

Bittorrent needs to have a central tracker up and running for each file. Each tracker is it's own little network for that one file. It is fast because you are just downloading and uploading for that one file and the tracker takes care of a lot of overhead when it comes to connecting to other users.

ED2k uses a server where people can search for other people with the file to download. You are in one giant network instead of one network for just 1 file. The server doesn't keep track of individual files like the bittorrent tracker, instead, it keeps track of shared lists. ED2k is more decentralized than bittorrent.

The Kademlia client (used in emule in addition to ED2k) is even more decentralized in that it doesn't require a server. You connect directly to peers and you get lists of other peers from the peers you're connected to. As long as you can connect to just 1 peer, you can get to all of them. Systems like this are the future of P2P, but there are still a lot of things to workout with Kad and there is a lot of overhead.

rashly said:
The Kademlia client (used in emule in addition to ED2k) is even more decentralized in that it doesn't require a server. You connect directly to peers and you get lists of other peers from the peers you're connected to. As long as you can connect to just 1 peer, you can get to all of them. Systems like this are the future of P2P, but there are still a lot of things to workout with Kad and there is a lot of overhead.
How does it get the IP of the first peer it connects to, if there are no bootstrap server?

rashly said:
Bittorrent ... It is fast because you are just downloading and uploading for that one file and the tracker takes care of a lot of overhead when it comes to connecting to other users.

ED2k ... You are in one giant network instead of one network for just 1 file. The server doesn't keep track of individual files like the bittorrent tracker, instead, it keeps track of shared lists. ED2k is more decentralized than bittorrent.

Thank you for your answer. Now I got it.

they are/use different protocols to provide the network, and in the case of bittorent it is more efficient than edonkey (e-mule is on it), as edonkey has server and perhaps some other sources of overhead it needs to handle. However for me a long time BT and e-mule user they are actually the same over long period of use???

Let's put it this way, I was e-mule all the way, but than became Bittorent with Azureus... and now I am e-mule again.

Overall you get between 1:1.5 and 1:2 UL:DL ratio with both of them with various short term differences, like if you go for a bitorrent or e-mule file that is rare, than the UL:DL ratio can be negative - ie, you UL more than you DL, but if you DL more files at once you offset that problem 100% certain. The fast DL files make up the difference (and there is always plenty of those)...

Just last week e-mule was actually doing more like 1:3 UL:DL (so three times more DL than what was uploaded) however this will surely not last for long, and it will go back to a bit below 1:2 as is the long term average.

Overall BT is much faster for single files, and straight away downloads. ie, you want something, like new Linux distro, just save the bittorent file, open it, and it will start downloading at max speed in 5 mins.

With e-mule you actually have to get on the network, spend some time to UL/DL to get up your share statistics, and than it kicks in properly. IMHO it is about a week of being on 24/7 that e-mule starts having such excellent ratios, which than stay that way forever for that installation. So long term = the same, short term BT advantage.

Actually Long term, e-mule advantage, as old files don't dissapear, and there is no silly rar passwords and such, people filter bad files out generally, so just look at the files that lots of people share, and that is all. Ppl can leave comments on e-mule too, so you can see whether the file is what it pretends to be or not.

Tokelil said:
rashly said:
How does it get the IP of the first peer it connects to, if there are no bootstrap server?
Yes, it does require a bootstrap server. I should've been more specific in what I meant. I was more regarding to the fact that no file information whatsoever is passed to a server. It just lists some IPs of who is there so you can get an initial connection.

Anyone know of what they are planning for the future of KAD?

To me (cable, very bad upload, very fast download), Bittorrent is great if I only want a single file, as fast as possible. If I start a second one, the download of the first file is reduced quite a bit. And if a file takes too long, it is old and gone before it's finished, so I don't get the whole file. You have to get the files while they're hot.

eMule is much more convenient. If I want something, I just search the Kad network, and I activate the one with the most seeders. A day later (on average, for 700 MB), it is done. Simple and easy. I can specify a maximum upload of 10kB with a much higher download. (Not to leech, but my connection dies if the upload is somewhere between 16 and 32 kB for P2P, with many connections.) And I can have as many concurrent downloads as I like.

DiGuru said:
To me (cable, very bad upload, very fast download), Bittorrent is great if I only want a single file, as fast as possible. If I start a second one, the download of the first file is reduced quite a bit. And if a file takes too long, it is old and gone before it's finished, so I don't get the whole file. You have to get the files while they're hot.

eMule is much more convenient. If I want something, I just search the Kad network, and I activate the one with the most seeders. A day later (on average, for 700 MB), it is done. Simple and easy. I can specify a maximum upload of 10kB with a much higher download. (Not to leech, but my connection dies if the upload is somewhere between 16 and 32 kB for P2P, with many connections.) And I can have as many concurrent downloads as I like.

Yes i agree eMule is fantastic, although speeds are much much lower than bittorrent.

The big advantage of bittorrent is that the file blocks are much smaller than on eDonkey.
eDonkey has around 10MB blocks whereas BT can have 256kb or 512kb.

That means when you start to download a file you can be an active participant much sooner. That way the clients can be written so that they assign low priority to users who aren't uploading. That way people are forced to upload if they want good download speed - so the network benefits, and the overall speed is much higher.

london-boy said:
Yes i agree eMule is fantastic, although speeds are much much lower than bittorrent.

Bittorrent is only much faster if you've got a fast upload. ;)

Back