BitTorrent crackdown

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
My BitComent is stuck. Something's going on.

I don't believe that this is a local issue.

Never happened before.

BitComet has been banned by many of the popular torrent sites because it broadcasted some "data" that the torrent sites that requires registered users didn't like.

It was my favorite client prior to this too, but I got forced to use crappy Azareus now! o_O

silence said:
what kind of data?.... and i didnt notice any problems with torrents i DLed when using BitComet.

I think it annouces the tracker to peers that shouldn't even have it, or something. Not sure... It did make alot of private tracker sites pretty upset though :)

Edit (found something written about the issue):

ok here is exactly why. BitComet reports false data to the tracker and to other peers. it reports that it is sending out way more data to peers than it actually is. so by banning it, and forcing the leechers to use clients that dont cheat, we get a healthier torrent. because (not sure if everyone knows) a healthy torrent works on the rewards system most of the time. meaning its like "ok ill send you a piece of this torrent, then you tell me when you sent it to someone else, and ill send you another." Bitcomet, as soon as it recieves a piece, weither it sends or not, reports back to the client that it recieved it from that it sent it to another peer. by removing the leechy client by nature, the torrent gets healthier, and the people who use real clients, and try to go 1:1 on the torrents get the complete torrent faster.

heh, thats exactlly why i use BitComet, cause i have control over my bandwidth and i really dont care how it does it....

with 1.5 Mbit/192 kb conn getting to 1:1 would mean my conn would have to work for torrents only all the time....which is something i really cant allow cause i need to work sometimes also ;)

other thing that i noticed with my conn is that if i dont throttle uploads it totally screws my downloads.... couple times i decided to put "no limit" for uploading and ended with download speed falling by 2/3....which is also annoying....

on BitTornado i had to use "dialup/isdn" option to get best download speed, going to "slow DSL" would acctually slower my download speed, cause minimal upload speed there is 10 kbps....open 2 BTs and my conn is gone...

if i had better upload speed i would prolly use some other client, but this main reason why i use BitComet.... being able to DL and work.

From what I have read at the Bitcomet page there were some changes made to the program which corrected the issue. Some tracker sites are starting to "un-ban" the Bitcomet client.

Hope they don't crack down torrents. I use it to get my weekly ratio of US TV programs. Not sure what the legality of it is, but i'd guess it's as legal as taping the programs and then give the tape to you neighbour. Although i'm sure someone will come up with a 9000 word post now teling me how Constitutionally different it is.

london-boy said:
Hope they don't crack down torrents. I use it to get my weekly ratio of US TV programs. Not sure what the legality of it is, but i'd guess it's as legal as taping the programs and then give the tape to you neighbour. Although i'm sure someone will come up with a 9000 word post now teling me how Constitutionally different it is.

well....thats how i get my weekly Dr. Who episode. my guess is that local TV stations will air it around 2012.... so i kinda dont wanna wait.
TBH, 90% of what i DL via torrents are TV shows i cant find here....for some i didnt even know they exist untill i opened BT sites....

Hell all the British shows I watch I just can't get on this side of the puddle! :?

And the anime, what would I do without all my fansubs?!?!? :oops:

Yes, i'm one of those guys who "feel guilty" about downloading movies and music and stuff.

The only stuff i download is American Idol, Desperate Housewives and Smallville, which will completely erase any doubts about my sexuality, if anyone still has doubts, but it's only cause i simply can't wait till they show those on TV here in the UK.

"feeling guilty"? ya sure.... the moment Adobe sets its prices according to average salary in Croatia i will buy their products.... untill that i am more then happy to DL what i need.

same goes for lots of other stuff.... between DLing something i need for work and not working at all....i choose DL.

silence said:
"feeling guilty"? ya sure.... the moment Adobe sets its prices according to average salary in Croatia i will buy their products.... untill that i am more then happy to DL what i need.

same goes for lots of other stuff.... between DLing something i need for work and not working at all....i choose DL.

Well yeah but i'm not in Croatia, i have a roof over my head which has no holes, i have electricity 24/7 and my keyboard has all buttons. :devilish: ;) (I AM KIDDING)

and i have my Firefox font setup done in a way that smallest font i can see is 10 px...... ;)

our only problem is that we have EU prices and russians salaries.... everything else is just fine.... :?

Back