Best heatsink/fan for A64?

wrath of god

Newcomer
Hey

Looking for opinions on the latest and greatest heatsink/fan for A64 proc. Mobo will be MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.

I will be overclocking and noise is not a problem

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

fallguy said:
I like my Zalman 7000cu. I dont think the XP-120 or 7700cu fits on yours, may be wrong though.

You're right that the XP-120 and 7700 series don't fit his motherboard.

The difference in performance between the Zalman 7000 and 7700 is actually quite small, however so I can second your recommendation of either a 7000Cu or 7000AlCu.

Mariner said:
fallguy said:
I like my Zalman 7000cu. I dont think the XP-120 or 7700cu fits on yours, may be wrong though.

You're right that the XP-120 and 7700 series don't fit his motherboard.

The difference in performance between the Zalman 7000 and 7700 is actually quite small, however so I can second your recommendation of either a 7000Cu or 7000AlCu.

The Zalman 7000 series has very good price/performance (and is low-noise), but the absolute performance is can not match the best like the Cooler Master Hyper 6 especially if the noise is no concern and an uber fast fan (or fans) is used. A good round up of coolers can be found here:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/heatpipe-giants-shootout/

Edit: Consider the Thermalright XP-90 too, the low weight is a big advantage over the the very heavy cobber coolers especially if you want to transport your computer.

I'm a big fan of my XP90 (with mid-flow 90 mm Pabst fan).
I had the BIOS on that smart fan setting (to reduce noise based on temp) and the darn thing just turned the fan off for good - that's how good the XP90 (and my case airflow) is. Of course that totally wigged me out so I disabled that in the bios...

Back