Best Codec pack?

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
Hi!

I need a codec pack, but I am at a loss which one is actually any good. Any suggestions? Don't suggest VideoLAN, etc. as I need the filters for Virtual Dub, etc.

Thanks.

Have you tried with ffdshow? It's not a codec pack, but it does the work, and it's accesible through vdub too.

You probaly don't need a codec pack. Unless they have improved things considerably since the last time I looked, adding layer upon layer of codecs (that often can do much of the same things) in order to encode/decode *everything*, is just asking for trouble. Even small configuration changes can, with an abundance of codecs installed, have cascading consequences causing media decoding and encoding to act erratic and inconcistent. Also, codec packs often won't include VfW versions needed for Virtualdub.

Better, IMHO, to find out what you need first and then get the right tool (codec) for the job. A recent ffdshow would be a good place to start.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

Definitely Ace codec pack. If the codec/utility you need isn't in there, it probably doesn't exist.

Also, it has a good uninstall utitlity which completely removes it and restores the original system settings should it ever give you headaches. Idiot-proof 100%.

I install quicktime alternative, real alternative, and ffdshow. media player classic then plays pretty much everything. ffdshow is very light on CPU usage, and it does some great post-processing.. on all videos, not only divx!
a tray icon appear when you play video. I set it so I get a little bit more of brightness, gamma and contrast, deblocking, and sharpening ("aWarpSharp" algorithm, without the chroma part that fucks up the colors, and strength reduced a bit compared to default). low-bitrate WMV are extremly improved, that without worrying about "video pixel shaders" my card doesn't support.

Back