Best avi, mpeg to SVCD converter

pascal

Veteran
Hi

I have some avi, mpegs, divx and I would like to convert to SVCD.
What is the best software/utility to do that?
Any tutorial/links/advices ?

Hi pascal,

you should check out http://www.doom9.org/ .
They have excellent guides on the matter.

For best quality I recommend DVD2SVCD with CCE, but you may want to use TMPEG because it's cheaper (but slower).

DVDx is very easy to use and you may want to start with that. It's also free software!

Have fun! :)

'Best' is not a good word when it comes to something as technical as digital video encoding. There are lots of tools that cater to different needs and you are likely to find one if you lay down exactly what your particular needs are.

I suggest you try TMPGEnc because it is probably the most versatile encoder for MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 without being too clumsy to use. There are interfaces that are much more streamlined, but it is rare to find one that includes as many easily accessible options. TMPGEnc is also very good at producing compliant files whereas other encoders may seem to do the same, they are actually at the mercy of the decoding hardware (with the excessive requirements of DVD video over (S)VCD, they can afford to be forgiving it what otherwise may not be a 100% (S)VCD compliant stream). Note that TMPGEnc can only produce MPEG-2 streams for 30 days until you must register and pay (SVCD=MPEG-2), but the MPEG-1 encoder is always unlocked.

Cinemacraft's CCE is very good and they have been offering a Basic version at the same $50 pricepoint as the competition for over a year now. This encoder was often not used due to its high price. CCE produces arguably better image quality and it absolutely screams in terms of performance. However, it is not very friendly or tweakable, instead relying on compliant input files.

Nero also offers an encoder, but I only use Nero to burn the finished product. Two years ago their encoder was absolute trash when compared to TMPGenc and CCE, but things may have changed. I have not spent time investigating Nero's encoder because I am happy with the alternatives.

There is also Canopus ProCoder to consider, along with Panasonic's encoder and Ligos. Some have trial versions so it may be worth checking them all out if you are serious about encoding.

Then there is QuEnc, as found on Doom9.org. I recently tried this freeware encoder and I found it to be quite good. It has absolutely zero options in the encoding application and you must use AviSynth (this is a scripting interface that allows you to serve virtual video frames and tweak them on the fly. Very powerful, but quite involved) to configure your files, but if you are comfortable with that it offers good speed and quality. Not sure if this is interesting in general as sometimes my liking a piece of code has to do with its "beta quality" and following the development progress.

Thanks mr and wireframe for the help :D

I have a Sony DVD player connected to the TV and I will try to burn some SVCDs. :) I will post the experiences results later.

wireframe said:
'Best' is not a good word when it comes to something as technical as digital video encoding. There are lots of tools that cater to different needs and you are likely to find one if you lay down exactly what your particular needs are.
You are absolutely right. That was simply bad wording.

I found DVD2SVCD a very good solution, but there may be better alternatives depending on your needs.

Another encoder worth trying is Mainconcept's MPEG Encoder.
It is quite fast and the encoding quality is comparable to TMPGenc or CCE.
The interface is easy to use, but offers nearly everything you could ask for from an MPEG encoder.
Mainconcept's encoder definetly has it's quirks (which software hasn't) but overall I'm quite satisfied with it.

I use SantaDVD for my conversions of AVI,Mpeg to DVD .. not 100% sure if it can do SVCD .. although that is a possibility. I'll check for ya tonight.

US

How are all these programs compared to Nero? Do they give a speed bump to conversions or are they just a different interface to do the same thing in the same amount of time?

Nero converts AVI/Mpeg > DVD???

News to me. I only use Nero to make data discs. I use CloneDVD and AnyDVD to make backup copies of my originals. I use SantaDVD to make DVD's from AVI's.

US

I have to recommend against Nero (Vision Express). Its quality is way lower than TMPEGEnc or CCE Basic (I have all of them). Using Nero to burn VCD or SVCD is ok, just don't use its encoder.

In terms of speed, CCE Basic is very hard to beat. However, it's also less user friendly. My sister use TMPEGEnc only even with her slower computer, because she think it's easier to use. Now she have a faster computer and, of course, it's even harder to "convert" her to CCE Basic :)
By the way, CCE Basic encodes faster than real time in single pass mode on her computer (from a motion JPEG AVI), and just about 30% slower than real time in two-pass mode. That's indeed very fast.

I use DVDlab to create my own DVD. I've tried several different solutions, and I find that DVDlab is best suit my needs.

I agree, Nero VE sucks. It's bad quality, slow and it grabs like 99.9% of CPU time so you can't do anything else in parallel.

The only thing i like is its menu maker . Though I'm trying to find a program that will let me fit more than 4 eps of the wonder years on a dvd

Back