Benchmark HELP: KyroNet: KyroIISE review

kyronet

Newcomer
Dear all,

I got a few questions regarding to Benchmark.
We have "started" our "first" review on KyroIISE

(we are still unable to "BUY" one on shelf yet, are they on sales anywhere in the world?)

The review will be Actual Gaming Performance by:
KyroII, KyroIISE, GeForce3 Ti200, (possibility of Radeon 9000/9500/9700)

1st question
on several games, but we have problems on how to record framerate for the below games:
1. Morrowind
2. SOF2
3. Wolfenstein

2nd question
Is FRAPS a reliable programme to use?

3rd question
What games do you guys really wanna see for performance on KyroIISE?

4th question
How do I measure fillrate (3DMark?) and bandwidth for a videocard?

ANY HELP/Suggestions would be very much appreciated

---------------------------------
KyroNet: George
http://kyro-net.paraknowya.net

Im sure wolfenstein has a demo record/playback facility as its based on Q3. Ive not played the other 2 so I wouldn't know, but I think SO2 might use a quake based engine as SOF 1 did. AS for mirrorwind, either fraps or 3D analyse which allows for performance logging.

Dave

if you can bench some neverwinter nights for me ? if you don't own the game don't worry about it though .

jvd said:
if you can bench some neverwinter nights for me ? if you don't own the game don't worry about it though .

dave said:
Im sure wolfenstein has a demo record/playback facility as its based on Q3. Ive not played the other 2 so I wouldn't know, but I think SO2 might use a quake based engine as SOF 1 did. AS for mirrorwind, either fraps or 3D analyse which allows for performance logging.

No problem on Neverwinter Nights. I do own the game, but do you know if I can some how benchmark it other than using FRAPS?

Hum...yes SOF2 does use Quake3. This may be a stupid question: "But how do I use the command in the console to make Quake3 Engine based game to display its framerates?"

------------------------------------
KyroNet: George

Well you have to record a demo ('record demoname', then 'stop' whilst recording), then set it to timedemo mode ('timedemo 1') then play the demo again ('playdemo demoname') you will get statistics in the console at the end of it so you must have the console enabled and open and everything.

hum... I still do not have a card on hand yet... (not on sales anywhere)
but I will definitely finish up this review as our first review at KyroNet. Unless Hercules 4800 will never be available in Hong Kong.

Here is the index of our review: more games may be added...but that would mean the review

will take a bit longer to finish:

-------------------------------------------------------
KyroNet’s First Review: Internal Doc.
KyroII SE (Hercules 3D Prophet 4800)
Period: August – Sept (or Oct), 2002
(depends when we get a card on hand)

Index:
1. The Chip
2. PowerVR History
3. Future of PowerVR
4. TBR
5. Enhanced T&L
6. Smarter Rendering Technology
7. Textur8
8. TrueRender OnChip FSAA
9. Bump Map Complete
10. Internal True Colourâ„¢
11. Kyro Tech Demo
- Kyroenergy
- Fortune
- KYROToon
- StillLife
- Temple Demo
- VillageMark
- FableMark
12. Installation

Actual Tests: Hardware comparisons
13. The Test
- P4: KyroII SE, GeForce3 Ti200, KyroI
- (KyroII fail to start on our P4 system)
- (Asus security problem)
- (possible addition: Radeon 9000/Radeon 9700)
- AMD: KyroII 32MB (AGP1X only, HW problem with VIA chipset, AGP2X unstable)

Games to be tested:
Performance + Image Quality Comparison!

14. 3DMark 2001 SE

ACTION
15. Unreal Tournament 2003 (possible addition)
16. Jedi Knight 2 (need help)
17. Quake III Arena (need help)
18. Return To Wolfenstein
19. Soldier of Fortune II
20. Serious Sam 2: The Second Encounter (need help)
21. Commanche4 (Tech Demo Benchmark)
22. Spiderman: The Movie
23. Incoming Forces
24. Max Payne
25. Metal of Honour
26. Hitman2 (build 411 beta)

RACING
27. Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4
28. Sega Crazy Taxi
29. RACER

RPG / action
30. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
31. Giants: Citizen Kabuto

Simulation
32. Microsoft Train Simulator
33. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002
34. MechWarrior 4: Vengeance

-------------------------------------
George at KyroNet

kyronet said:
1st question
on several games, but we have problems on how to record framerate for the below games:
1. Morrowind
2. SOF2
3. Wolfenstein

Morrowind can display frame rate by a addition to the ini file, but it is a severely CPU limited game with rendering problems for Kyro cards (at least for the pre-patch version). Defer render until flip seemed to help, but there were still big rounding off errors (or whatever it was). Morrowind has a whole slew of general problems, which makes it a rather unreliable piece of benchmarking software.

Q3Bench for Wolfenstein. Again, it's very CPU dependent. Need to crank resolution and/or texture quality up to stress the video card.

If Warcraft3 has a benchmarking facility, I'd say benchmark War3.
Maybe also a racer like NFS?

"Q3Bench for Wolfenstein. Again, it's very CPU dependent. Need to crank resolution and/or texture quality up to stress the video card."

Could you tell me more about this? Like what I should do ... to make a fair benchmark.

"Racer like NFS"
no problem...we'll add that in...as well with "Racer" + "Crazy Taxi" ... may be "E-Racer" too...
But we can only test NFSV, as NFSIV seems to be not working under XP

kyronet said:
"Q3Bench for Wolfenstein. Again, it's very CPU dependent. Need to crank resolution and/or texture quality up to stress the video card."

Could you tell me more about this? Like what I should do ... to make a fair benchmark.

"Racer like NFS"
no problem...we'll add that in...as well with "Racer" + "Crazy Taxi" ... may be "E-Racer" too...
But we can only test NFSV, as NFSIV seems to be not working under XP

Q3Bench is easy to operate. You could just check the resolutions from 1024x768 and up, as well as checking the High quality settings. It seems to be common to use the "checkpoint" demo file to benchmark on (in the RtCW community at least).

What makes a fair benchmark is a hard question to answer. To me it's primarily a matter of the visual quality as long as the game plays "fast enough". Maybe that wasn't what you asked though. :D

Back