Battlefield 3 announced

Apparently, dual-core processors are absolutely a no-go option for this game.
Any benches with Intel's Core 2 Duo models?

Did another name change. I wasn't too fond of my other nick. If you see someone named "AndersNystrom" friending you, don't be alarmed. It's me.

played some MP today...what a great game!
But it is an ultra shame, that they destroyed the party/squad system compared to BC2?!?!?

I cannot understand this, why they did this compared to BC2...it is meant to be a team based game...so please let us play together as those teams/squads we want!

Do you guys have a recipe how to join a MP game as a party and then end up on the same side, in the same squad if possible?

We form a party in origin, than join as a party...but it hardly works so far: different squads, even different teams...will try further when more time...damn...working is so lame :smile:

My absolute priority: fix the squad system. let me choose which squad I join...should be the easiest thing in the world for such a game....please repi, then I will probably accept your Platoon leadership :mrgreen:
until I hit you with destruction 3.0 of course :devilish:

Yesterday AMD sent us a benchmarking guide for Battlefield 3 written by Antal Tungler, AMD's PR Manager. In the guide, Antal recommends using Nvidia's FXAA instead of MSAA.

"You'll notice that we recommend the 'Ultra' preset in lot of our scenarios, without the use of MSAA (Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing). This is a traditional technique to remove aliasing from objects in the visible scene. It provides significant image quality improvements, at least in most cases. But because of its nature, working only on actual geometry, some objects will not benefit at all from this process, like foliage or fences, that are just textures, sprites etc. Luckily DICE implemented a new technique as well called FXAA (Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing), which is a process that works pretty much on all objects. Another significant difference between the two is that while FXAA has a very small impact on performance, however using MSAA can essentially cut your framerate in half."

source
AMD's benchmarking Guide

What do you mean "NVIDIA's FXAA"? It is vendor agnostic as far as I can tell.

Apparently, dual-core processors are absolutely a no-go option for this game.
Any benches with Intel's Core 2 Duo models?

I play on a 3.2GHz E6750. It is playable on medium/high settings by my standards but I am definitely CPU limited, even with only a GTX260 at 1440x900. Average FPS is pretty good, but there are annoying dips into the teens occasionally.

BTW my nick is Homerless.

Also does anybody get lag on 64p servers? I've only found a couple of 64p servers that I would even consider playable due to lag.

I sent you a request, homer.

I'm having difficulty having EA recognize my status as a BF2 veteran. I have the game added to my origin profile, but it still isn't appearing in my veteran status on the battle log. Anyone know what the deal is?

God I had forgotten how much I hate Server Admins. After quite a bit of trying, I finally got into a few games last night, and was kicked by the Admin within a minute or so of spawning in each one. I didn't even have time to change my graphical settings. :rolleyes:

Do these ass clowns even play? Or do they just run around worrying about what everyone else is doing?

It looks like you actually can unlock the opposing factions weapons. If you look at the weapons and unlocks section on the battle log, it shows, for example, you can unlock the M4A1 as the Russians, once you meet a certain engineering score. If you look at an unlock and it has a little flag next to it, that means it's the opposing faction's weapon and can eventually be unlocked for both sides. Kick ass!

*edit* By the way, how exactly do you base jump off the cliff in Damavand Peak? I was under the impression it was the staging area for the US side, but apparently it isn't? I don't even know how to get up there.

God I had forgotten how much I hate Server Admins. After quite a bit of trying, I finally got into a few games last night, and was kicked by the Admin within a minute or so of spawning in each one. I didn't even have time to change my graphical settings. :rolleyes:

Do these ass clowns even play? Or do they just run around worrying about what everyone else is doing?

That's really weird. I haven't had any issue with server admins acting up all.

NRP, I think it is a PB problem. Did you check out the news section in Battlelog?

I haven't received a key for the LE unlocks yet. :(

I don't think anyone has received them, yet. No Physical Warfare Pack or Return to Karkand, as far as I know. There's an item redemption "key" on my Gamestop receipt for the PWP, but the instructions on how to redeem it aren't very clear. It's not just you.

Yesterday AMD sent us a benchmarking guide for Battlefield 3 written by Antal Tungler, AMD's PR Manager. In the guide, Antal recommends using Nvidia's FXAA instead of MSAA.
Unsurprising... as I showed last year and some of the benchmarks earlier in this thread demonstrate, AMD's parts are at a relative disadvantage with deferred MSAA. They're pretty efficient at the shading part (similar to NVIDIA) but for some reason rendering a MSAA'd Gbuffer hurts them a lot more than NVIDIA. I'd love for someone to explain to me why... ROP differences of some sort presumably.

The PR blurb of course skirts the fact that the two options are not mutually exclusive. While I agree that FXAA delivers better visuals basically for free (and thus why not always turn it on), it misses some stuff that MSAA handles a lot better. Granted due to the limitations that repi noted earlier in the thread it doesn't help as much as it might usually (although I still think a minor change to the resolve math could help a ton), it still makes a fairly obvious difference.

On a related note though, the "auto" defaults in BF3 seem pretty good. On a 6970 it sets most stuff to High, textures to Ultra and deferred MSAA off. That's exactly how I'd set it too :)

I recieved my Physical Warfare pack code today via email. Not tested it yet, but it Origin took the code just fine.

Re: the defaults, yes it does do a pretty good job. I've actually changed my SP setup to the auto one now, not sure if it's just the extra frames but the experience is nicer - even though I didn't notice any hitching on Ultra. I'll be giving auto a run in multiplayer tomorrow, but I do like a lower latency so don't know if I'll stick with it until I get a new GPU sometime next spring. Be lovely if Digital Foundry would measure latency changes between the presets on PC.

Dresden I never got the invite. What's you Origin nick? I searched for AndersNystrom and came up empty.

Robert I think I sent you an invite. At least I sent an invite to the Robert that's on my XBL account.

Sweet. What's your origin nick?

Okay if you're neliz2k then I sent you an invite.

Which one is Dresden? It says you have 2 friends and I don't think he is either of them. :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dresden I never got the invite. What's you Origin nick? I searched for AndersNystrom and came up empty.

Robert I think I sent you an invite. At least I sent an invite to the Robert that's on my XBL account.

That would be then. Sweet. I want to play with a regular crew on evenings. I'm West Coast
The Best Coast!

Ha go ahead and accept it so we can get a game going!

It will be like the old Halo times. And remember Al must stay grounded :mrgreen:

Back