Battlefield 3 announced

If you're worried about lack of teamwork, just play with RobertR1. He'll bust your balls for not working as a team to attack the objective. LOL!

haha! I just don't get why people join objective based games and play likes it TDM. I like winning the game vs playing for KDR, I suppose. Especially the BF games because there is a strong sense of you owning the map and holding down your opponent.

Really looking forward to getting back into PC gaming. I'm gonna have to wait though. Vacation coming up the first few weeks of Nov so I'll start my build when I come back.

haha! I just don't get why people join objective based games and play likes it TDM.
I think it's a mindset issue. You get a lot of people coming from CoD and the like, where everything is deathmatch, and they literally don't understand that the BF games are different. They see the objectives on the loading screen, and it boils down to "okay, so I complete such-and-such objective... by killing as many people as I can" (the latter half being "imported" from deathmatch-oriented games). Everything is achieved by killing as many opponents as you can.

I think it'd be funny to see something overly objective based in single player. A mission where you have to guard a bridge while a HUGE firefight is going on right in front of you that you're forbidden from participating in.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/08/05/bb.aspx##

"Years worth of unlocks in BF3."

I hope this is true. One of the issues that plagued BC2 was the drop-off point from when you actually unlock every kit's available weapons, which can be achieved within half the rank cap. At that point, it's a matter of specializing in weapons, earning gold stars for usage, which isn't necessarily a bad idea, but the rewards system needs a serious tweaking if DICE wants players to occupy themselves long term. Just take a look at your BC2 friend's list, you'll notice that a lot of people are in the mid thirties in terms of rank, then they suddenly stop playing. I estimate this is due to players feeling they've achieved all they want out of BC2.

BF2 kind of had a similar problem. Some of the rewards required ridiculous feats, like repairing 40 vehicles in one round, which is nearly impossible during the course of normal gameplay. It had the effect of encouraging some people to not even play the game and instead do all kinds of ridiculous things like park a jeep halfway into the water so it took damage and then repaired it for the whole match. Certainly doesn't help the team.

Just take a look at your BC2 friend's list, you'll notice that a lot of people are in the mid thirties in terms of rank, then they suddenly stop playing. I estimate this is due to players feeling they've achieved all they want out of BC2.
It's also partially because the rank curve falls off like crazy around there though :)

Going back and forth between ordering a quad core CPU and HD6950 for my current LGA775 system or going ahead with a new build. LGA775 processors are stupidly expensive even on eBay so that option really stings, but still it's a couple hundred $$ cheaper than a new Sandy Bridge build and if that gives me acceptable performance in BF3 I'd be satisfied.

OTOH I could build a new rig and give the old one to my bro so we could pwn noobers side by side. :) Decisions decisions...

Personally I'm waiting until we see some benchies and comparison vids for the game itself. The 470 will last me until then. :smile:

Jesus christ! Are they trying to do whatever they can to hurt sales of the PC version!?

I'm sure they would defend themselves by saying Valve did the same thing with HL2, which is true - the difference is that EA sucks and Valve doesn't. A subtle but important distinction.

All this fuss over basically nothing. I doubt it will have the same teething issues that Steam did in it's infancy.

There is no real solution to having a one-stop DD service currently. Nobody wants a monopoly situation do they?

I only run Steam when I want to play or buy the games. It basically doesn't exist unless I use it. I doubt Origin will be any different.

I'm sure they would defend themselves by saying Valve did the same thing with HL2, which is true - the difference is that EA sucks and Valve doesn't. A subtle but important distinction.

Another distinction is that Valve is also the developer of the game. In this case I'm sure it is an EA decision and not a DICE one.

Ima buy a Q6600 on eBay and set the FSB to 400MHz for a nice clock boost and to run my RAM at its native frequency. I think my Ninja Mini (lol @ whoever described this thing as "mini") can handle that.

Also an HD6950 (or something better if Southern Islands is out by release date) is in the cards. Figure I'll be about twice as good at 60fps as I am at 30. :smile:

Back