Battery Breakthrough?

nelg

Veteran
Battery Breakthrough?

The company boldly claims that its system, a kind of battery-ultracapacitor hybrid based on barium-titanate powders, will dramatically outperform the best lithium-ion batteries on the market in terms of energy density, price, charge time, and safety. Pound for pound, it will also pack 10 times the punch of lead-acid batteries at half the cost and without the need for toxic materials or chemicals, according to the company.

If true, it looks very promising.

I sure hope so, I've been waiting for a breakthough in battery technology for a while. There are so many things just BEGGING for a better battery. :)

Err I'm still waiting for the battery part I'm 1/2 way through it still all seems to be capacitor based. Okay so much for this "battery" hybrid cause there is nothing battery about it.

I'd be worried about this thing exploding in a car accident. Its all nice and good that it has the step down converter inside the unit but if that thing has an internal discharge its gonna go BOOM like it would make a stick of dynamite look weak because that is a high voltage and its internal resistance would be rather low and we are talking about LOTS of power. The tradational ultra caps are much safer as the operate at voltage over about 3 volts and have a relatively high internal resistance limiting the maxium power output. This thing is 3500 volts.

Plus since all the step down stuff is built into the unit replacing it ain't gonna be cheap.

Okay lets put this into perspective a 1 kilogram lithium ion battery = 0.5 MJ if not more thing "hybrid" has a higher energy density and there is no chemical reaction that needs to take place for this thing to release its energy all it has to do is let the molecules bend back into shape. Now in this thread http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37790 it links to an article which they say the kentic energy for a naval gun projectile is about 9MJ so yeah think about that.

They use this technology in missles to power them however it doesn't matter so much if they blew up on impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
bloodbob, that's just it. It's not a battery, but rather an ultracap with battery-like energy density. It's also very easy to limit power output with artificial internal resistance.

What's amazing is their ability to get up to 3500V. Usually ultracaps are limited to a few volts before they break down the electrolyte. You can put a bunch of them in series to get the voltage handling up, but that reduces the capacitance and the energy density is the same. If they're truly talking about 3500V across a single EDLC cell (Electric Double-Layer Capacitor, otherwise known as supercaps or ultracaps), that's astounding.

For those of you who don't know, E = 0.5 * C * V^2 for a capacitor. A thousand-fold increase in the voltage would be a million times more energy, all else being equal. The really sweet thing about ultracaps is that the capacitance is independent of distance between the electrodes, so you can use extremely porous materials for the electrode (2000 square metres per gram!) to jack up the capacitance.

I'm still skeptical, though. 3500V is insane.

Mintmaster this nothing like and ultra cap aka chemical capacitor which uses the double layer capacitance. This is simply a higher quality ceramic capacitor using a ferrorelectic dielectric. The same reason is why it is so dangerous. Cause you don't see pulse capacitor being made out of chemical capacitor because they are limited with the enegery the can output.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back