"Lithium ion battery recharges in one minute"

Wunderchu

Regular
Toshiba Corp. has developed a lithium-ion battery the company said features the short rechargeable time of capacitors and the energy capacity of conventional lithium-ion batteries. Toshiba's new battery can recharge 80 percent of the battery's energy capacity in one minute, approximately 60 times faster than the typical Li-ion batteries.

The energy density is 150 to 250 Wh (Watt-hour)/liter, equal to the lower range of energy densities existing lithium ion batteries have. Advanced Li-ion rechargeable batteries reach densities of 600 Wh/l. "It should be the world first lithium ion battery that can be charged in one minute. The battery has a big potential. It could be used for mobile phones in the future, but we put the priority on applications such as automobiles that require quick recharging time and large cycle time," said Norio Takami, Laboratory leader of Advanced Functional Materials laboratory at Toshiba's Corporate Research and Development Center.
[source: http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=27681&category=main ]

direct link: http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=159907938

I wonder how hot it gets if charged to 80% capacity in one minute... Li-Ion batteries degrade rapidly if they heat up. They can even explode actually.

Well, I'm rather sceptic of the current you need for a one-minute recharge...

Xmas said:
Well, I'm rather sceptic of the current you need for a one-minute recharge...

Why?

200 mWh <=> 12 W/min = 3.6 A on 3.3V or 2.4A on 5V. I see no problem there.

Any decent battery these days is not 200mAh capacity but rather 1200-2200 or in the thereabouts, that's around 5-10 times the size of charge you mentioned. I think most would balk at the thought of a 36A battery recharger...

Guden Oden said:
Any decent battery these days is not 200mAh capacity but rather 1200-2200 or in the thereabouts, that's around 5-10 times the size of charge you mentioned. I think most would balk at the thought of a 36A battery recharger...

I know the theory as well, but this specific battery is about 150 from what I've seen.

EDIT:
I was wrong, here:
Toshiba's prototype battery has a capacity of 600mAh and measures.8mm thick, 62mm high and 35mm deep. It was demonstrated in hard disc music player for about 10 minutes by charging 5 milliwatts in 5 seconds.

that makes 1mW/s, which is 30µA @3.3V

EDIT:
300µA, not 30

Guden Oden said:
It all depends on the size.

A AAA is about 1200mAh, a AA is 2200mAh. Many of these embedded LiIon are smaller because they don't need the same capacity for the application they're in and they'd prefer to be smaller instead of last longer.

Without comparing it to a similarly sized LiIon battery, you can't tell if this is more/less dense.

Also, LiIon batteries don't tend to explode. NiMH do.

"Also, LiIon batteries don't tend to explode. NiMH do."

LiIon batteries are much more likely to vent and burst into flames though.

The size of my cell phone battery is about 4mm x 52mm x 34mm and its capacity is 720 mAh (at 3.6V). So the Toshiba's prototype is about twice the size and the capacity is a bit smaller. Of course, it's just a prototype.

The best application for this kind of fast charging batteries is perhaps pure electric cars (or similar devices), if there're plenty "charging stations" around the city.

Maybe so, but having incorrect units doesn't qualify as being over-precise.
I shouldn't be too hard on you about that since the error existed already in the article.
But you do add some more unit confusion than what was in the article already.

Btw, do you think a HD MP3 player can run on less than 8 µW?

Basic said:
Maybe so, but having incorrect units doesn't qualify as being over-precise.
I shouldn't be too hard on you about that since the error existed already in the article.
But you do add some more unit confusion than was in the article already.

Btw, do you think a HD MP3 player can run on less than 8 µW?

What units are incorrect?

EDIT: and where do you have that 8µW from?

...charging 5 milliwatts in 5 seconds.
5 mW here should probably be 5 mAh. (Maybe 5 mWh, but that's not a common unit for battery charging).

But if that unit was right, you shouldn't divide it by the time it was applied, it's 5 mW all the time. So your 1mW/s is a unit that doesn't make much sense (Even though the unit is "correct" after calculating 5mW / 5s.)

Then you treat that 1 mW/s as 1 mW when you calculate 300µA @3.3V (after the edit).

1 mW when charging, and then running it for 10min / 5s = 120 times longer means that the player runs on less than 1mW / 120 ~= 8 µW.

You should also notice that even if we change the unit in the article to 5 mAh, that still implies that a full charging would take at least 10 min.

Charging a 600mAh cell to 80% of its capacity in 1 min, means a current of at least (the energy loss is not included):
80% * 600mAh * 60min/h = 28.8 A

That's a lot.

Back