Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Sony really want to produce *exclusive* AAA games for the PS5 launch?

That's throwing a lot money away.

At the most I would expect from Sony/MS to do some exclusive AA games to show the extra eye candy for PR which don't break the bank. The usual launch games we forget quickly.

I was premature. Reading the rumour again, it only states PS5 exclusive games. That could entail any budget, which is perfect really. Give me a few Astrobots for every Horizon Zero Dawn.

Why that's one of the major purposes of first party studio's. To supply what third party won't or aren't going to in the beginning of a new cycle.

It's also very important to get the ball rolling and get positive impressions out there on social media which plays a massive part these days in the mind of the mainstream consumer.

Why? Strikes me as very neutral in tone without saying any one box is better than the other and is generally saying both offer the same experience. The idea devs want a 4 TF target box holding them back strikes me as very realistic too. Assuming MS mandates games have to run on both Anaconda and Lockhart, that'd be bad for next-gen.

I think this might have influenced how he viewed the quote from Era.

It all sounds like Scarlett launch games wont be taken full advantage of the new hardware due to Lockhart and Xbox One family holding back for compatibility, while PS5 launch titles are native next gen.

But nothing in the quote from Era even implies anything remotely like that. AFAICS, there's nothing in the quote that favors one platform or the other.

Interesting about Developers possibly not wanting to deal with Lockhart, though. I'm assuming these must be console only developers (becoming more and more rare) as any developer that has plans to release on PC are going to have to make their game scale lower than next gen consoles anyway.

Although I guess, developers that leave the PC ports to other development houses might be included in that as well. But in that case, they could also allow that 3rd party to implement scaling down to Lockhart if they are too lazy to put in the scaling themselves?

Most current 3rd party games scale to hardware far lower than current gen while also scaling higher than current gen. In some cases, far higher.

And as MS has shown WRT their first party games, they have the ability to scale to really low hardware while still maximizing the use of the XBO-X and on the PC going far beyond what XBO-X is capable of. So MS supporting XBO in some fashion in first party titles should have almost zero impact on how they use Project Scarlet. After all, if it's going to be released on PC (which all MS first titles will), then it's going to have to scale down to XBO level hardware (and possibly lower) while also scaling beyond Project Scarlet hardware.

Regards,
SB

I just hope that MS reveals last at E3 2020, so they can tweak whatever they need to for a positive reception. That assumes Sony presents there.

At the most I would expect from Sony/MS to do some exclusive AA games to show the extra eye candy for PR which don't break the bank. The usual launch games we forget quickly.

When you will see Horizon Zero Dawn 2 during the first year and probably Spiderman 2 fall 2021, this is much better than PS4 first year.

At launch, we will probably have the second Insomniac team releasing Ratchet and Clank, Demon soul's remake and the first Housemarque AAA much better than current-gen.

Sure, but what bit is fanboyish? What part it overly upping the PS5 or downing XB?

Oh, thought it was the baseless section, if it is information from a trusted source, knowing facts, it offcourse isn't bias, that only sony is going next gen with games.

The rumor comes from a very credible source

Yes, there is where the confusion comes from, thought it was a random resetera post again.

all first-party games will be PS5 exclusives after the console launch.

Well, yeah :p

PS5 and xbox have 10+TF GPU which is better than 5700XT.

If next-gen GPU is 20% stronger than 5700XT than it already surpasses 2080 GPU.

Damn, i'm buying one just for the fact that they are about as fast as a 2080Ti, a GPU costing me way too much atm.

What have they done for 20+ years now?

Give me a few Astrobots for every Horizon Zero Dawn.

Give me a HZD2 done for the PS5 only :)

Interesting about Developers possibly not wanting to deal with Lockhart, though. I'm assuming these must be console only developers (becoming more and more rare) as any developer that has plans to release on PC are going to have to make their game scale lower than next gen consoles anyway.

Although I guess, developers that leave the PC ports to other development houses might be included in that as well. But in that case, they could also allow that 3rd party to implement scaling down to Lockhart if they are too lazy to put in the scaling themselves?

I don't think there's so much to worry about, seeing that even the switch is getting high-end titles like DOOM ported and scaled pretty well to it, with it's weak hardware compared to PS/XB.

When you will see Horizon Zero Dawn 2 during the first year

Yes please, i want that HDZ2 running on 2080Ti of gpu power. Never thought nextgen where getting even a 5700xt level of gpu, but 2080Ti, wow.

Why that's one of the major purposes of first party studio's. To supply what third party won't or aren't going to in the beginning of a new cycle.

It's also very important to get the ball rolling and get positive impressions out there on social media which plays a massive part these days in the mind of the mainstream consumer.

The rules have changed since XB1 and PS4. They have a huge market and the architecture is compatible and scalable at least on the visual side. AAA games require a lot of sales to be profitable. The same reason cross platform games will be designed for the current generation as long as the market hasn't shifted which will take a few years imho.

This won't look like the jump from 360/PS3 to XB1/PS4 which was quite rapid even for cross platform titles.

That 2080Ti performance is going to blow everything away, when optimised for that, which will only be PS5.

He said himself this is not sure at all. I think this will be comparable to 2070, 2070 Super or 2080 depending of the game. After it is a bit more powerful than 5700XT.

Last edited:
Yes please, i want that HDZ2 running on 2080Ti of gpu power. Never thought nextgen where getting even a 5700xt level of gpu, but 2080Ti, wow

I don't think anyone mentioned 2080ti power if anything the gtx 2080 rumour he downplayed.

I didn't even think we would get anywhere near a 1080ti performance so I would be impressed with anything near a GTX 2070. For me it's become all about the software anyways, there aren't that many teams with the time and budget that can push that hardware to the max graphics,animation and physics in a whole package that also has high production values.

So from my point of view anything near or above 10TFlops and I would be extremely happy.

Scaling to different console levels is a bit trickier though because (theoretically at least) TRCs, plus your actual artistic vision. Let's say you want to make a game that is really going to benefit from those 10 TFs with some fancy compute stuff - let's say ML AI and hyper physics. With only Anaconda and PS5, you can limit it to higher end PCs and get the game you want. If someone then wants to run that on a 4TF PC and get a poor experience, that's on them for running on a machine below spec. But with Lockhart, you now have to make your vision fit a 4 TF console and not be shite*. Do you craft a bespoke version just for that console of who-know-what sales, or do you ditch the 10 TF vision and go with a 4 TF vision and just run it with some IQ enhancements?

Xbox One X works because it runs XB1 games with some enhancements. You'd be looking at Anaconda being the same, a Lockhart box that runs the game with enhancements, which isn't what devs want from a new generation, instead wanting a new start with new baseline targets including technologies that hitherto have sat largely unused on PC because the audience wasn't large enough to justify their investment (I imagine).

* Whether MS prohibits shite games or not is yet to be seen. This gen, the bar was really dropped - Exhibit A : Eye of Black Tiger. I imagine not.

Last edited:
Lockhart:
CPU: 8 core Zen ~2.0-2.8? ghz. Lower than Anacondas + some overhead for OS etc.
GPU: 4.5TF-5.5TF, ~RDNA 2.0 with HW RT
RAM: 12GB GDDR6 on 192bit bus. 300-336GB/s bandwidth.
+ 4GB DDR4, 3GB OS, 1GB ram disk
1TB SSD
8k 120fps HDR support.
$299

Games run at 1080p-1440p 30-60fps on Lockhart. 60-120fps 4k on Anaconda.

I would argue such a device is better prepared for next gen in all aspects than the Xbox One was prior to launch.

Of course. It's what they always do. Cross-gen sales are a phantom. The early adopters are always your most active purchase base. We only saw so much cross-gen development last time because publishers were terrified the console market was dying because of mobile. In the end the next gen versions of those games all sold so much better than the last gen version it made the financial argument of continuing last gen support really questionable. If Microsoft decides to make cross-gen support a major feature of their first party strategy, they do so at their own peril.

Yeah, next gen MS aren't really next-gen. I'm going all playstation again, as i feel only PS5 is going to offer next gen graphics/games this time.

Yeah, next gen MS aren't really next-gen. I'm going all playstation again, as i feel only PS5 is going to offer next gen graphics/games this time.

In a hypothetical scenario that Anaconda comes in at a significant advantage over PS5, as in PS5 is in between Lockhart and Anaconda, would you have the same sentiment?

Scaling to different console levels is a bit trickier though because (theoretically at least) TRCs, plus you're actual artistic vision. Let's say you want to make a game that is really going to benefit from those 10 TFs with some fancy compute stuff -
I would agree with this as a general statement. But then Doom, and Witcher 3 showed up on Switch. And rumours of RDR2.
I know for a fact that these were never designed with Switch in mind. So this makes the situation curious, as the baseline should have been Xbox but the games continue to scale down further.

I have no doubts this is a situation where these are likely exceptions and not the rule. But it puts into question whether a game could absolutely require as a bare minimum 6TF of compute just to calculate non graphic related items. If so; it’s likely to be very very rare.

Last edited:
Excuse me while I laugh at such a definitive statement based off nothing but rumors with absolutely no solid information available.

The only confirmed Scarlett game we know about was announced as cross gen. Various MS execs have made statements indicating their intent to continue supporting XO in the long term. Rumors have gone around suggesting that no Scarlett exclusives are planned for the first 2-3 years of the console. Considering the resurgence of a potential Lockheart, the different demands of the streaming market, and the existence of Play Anywhere it's easy to see a strategy to maintain broad software support, including things like making sure their games don't require an SSD on PC, etc.

It's kinda lockstep with the Xbox attitude from day one. Microsoft has never been interested in just selling 100m systems and collecting software royalties on that. They have always fantasized about some illusory addressable market of a billion users. Their latest tactic in widening their potential user base appears to be an attempt to "disrupt" generational shifts and focusing on subscription services. But I think that will not go nearly as well as they imagine, not when their games are going to be compared to actual next gen exclusives, and the "theoretical gamers" they are hoping to find don't materialize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back