Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically, you would rather have 12.6TF Vega 64 in next gen consoles then RTX2080 with 2.5TF less?

Because there is much more to graphics rendering then just TFs. We are talking about chip (oberon) with higher bandwidth, pixel fillrate and tex fillrate then RTX2080

I never said that. I was explaining Cernys calculations, based on the same arquitecture. RTX is more efficient than Vega, and besides had RT cores, but that was never mentioned or assumed in my reply.

Actually I have no real believe here outside of that I consider the Github specs to define the PS5 and that the clocks there were just max functional test parameters for further validation down the line by Sony itself.

I'm just arguing in line of the rumours some Sony fans here believe and that their rumoured console might have *different* price problems than MS's.

But I would not dismiss the possibility that Sony management might be desperate enough to risk 2Ghz until they can get it on 5nm. 2 years of potential yield/higher repairs/disgruntled fans vs. market size? I wouldn't want to make that management decision as that can ruin careers:)

i cannot dismiss the possibility since I have no data.
But that is highly unlikely. I accept that in such a case they could push the console, but not to such high limits.
Besides that would mean am 8 Tflops console, now pushed to 9.2.
When cerny talked about 8 Tflops it was talking PS4 quality gfx, not next gen. And Sony would create a next gen console with 8 Tflops where the only gains over the same Tflops on GCN 1.1 were efficiency?
As I said, i cannot dismiss. But I highly doubt.
What I find funny is that people claim: Sony is having trouble with BOM. But Microsoft, in the same planet, facing the same problems, is not.
Microsoft knew of Sony plans - But for some strange reason, Sony did not knew Microsoft plans.
Microsoft needed the best console of the Xbox division would fail - And Yet, although Sony needs the Playstation to survive as a company, they built an 8 Tflops console and now are pushing it hard to 9.2. Some even sayd they are using 40 CU with no redundancy at all.
Honestly, I do not know Sony’s plans, I do not know what oberon is, I do not know anything, but I read a lot, and all I can see is that no information about PS5 is trully reliable. Not even Github with Oberon A0 tests, with Komachi saying Oberon is at E0 now.

It isn't doing any damage either. No-one's going to refuse to buy PS5 if it's the product they want on account of Sony not talking about it earlier.
Because Sony haven't started marketing yet, so it's presently a one horse race.
Who said marketing doesn't count? When Sony are ready to talk, they'll spend many millions on marketing. Not talking now doesn't do any harm though and doesn't undermine the message when Sony talks.

eg. PS5 is weaker than XBSX - talk about it just before release, ignoring communicating numbers, and leave the numbers comparison to DF-type investigations reaching a limited audience while the mainstream gamers just see PS5 and its games.

PS5 is stronger than XBSX - pull a last minute reveal stealing MS's power advantage and get all core gamers' eyes on the bigger number.

Marketing can swing the messaging any way they want and it's not in any way time dependent. There's no PR move that requires early communication. It's not like if PS5 is weaker, Sony have to talk about it now to give gamers time to come to terms with it emotionally so they are willing to buy it when it releases.

if information feeding months before release isn’t important than why does Sony and MS give little bits of info?
it’s called hype, the oldest trick in the book, I don’t know why you can’t comprehend it. It’s not the be all and end all but one part of the puzzle that makes a difference.

I believe you are just arguing points for the sake of it and not understanding the subject matter.
if l don’t know tech, which I’m not great in that I’ll admit.

PlayStation is a stronger brand, MS knows it won’t steal the show in one generation, it’s small steps at a time that has got them to where they are today.

anyway l said what l said a few posts ago and if you can’t see the logic in the posts l can’t help you.

Then even a 11/12TF doesnt sound impressive anymore. 9.2TF rdna2 would be higher class then a 5700xt, amd’s current fastest offering less then a year prior console launch.

if information feeding months before release isn’t important than why does Sony and MS give little bits of info?
it’s called hype, the oldest trick in the book, I don’t know why you can’t comprehend it. It’s not the be all and end all but one part of the puzzle that makes a difference.

I believe you are just arguing points for the sake of it and not understanding the subject matter.
if l don’t know tech, which I’m not great in that I’ll admit.

PlayStation is a stronger brand, MS knows it won’t steal the show in one generation, it’s small steps at a time that has got them to where they are today.

anyway l said what l said a few posts ago and if you can’t see the logic in the posts l can’t help you.

Hype... What Hype??

You can get all hyped up... but if Sony's console is superior, when it is know, all will change.
And it will be known... before the release!

If it is inferior... giving that data has no benefits.

So I must agree with Shifty on this one! In either case, Sony is not forced to run and reveal the console.

Hype... What Hype??

You can get all hyped up... but if Sony's console is superior, when it is know, all will change.
And it will be known... before the release!

If it is inferior... giving that data has no benefits.

So I must agree with Shifty on this one! In either case, Sony is not forced to run and reveal the console.

no hype. You’re kidding right? You mean to tell me gamers aren’t aware of the incoming launches?
Most gamers all over the internet know about it, it’s these gamers who will be the early purchases of the new systems, the ones who don’t care or have no clue (very rare) will probably not be upgrading right away anyway cause they’ll be happy with an already great console.
I have to state that nowhere did l say Sony has to reveal their console, l said it’s more beneficial for them to keep the hype train rolling, there are many ways to do this other than TF numbers.

no hype. You’re kidding right? You mean to tell me gamers aren’t aware of the incoming launches?
Most gamers all over the internet know about it, it’s these gamers who will be the early purchases of the new systems, the ones who don’t care or have no clue (very rare) will probably not be upgrading right away anyway cause they’ll be happy with an already great console.
I have to state that nowhere did l say Sony has to reveal their console, l said it’s more beneficial for them to keep the hype train rolling, there are many ways to do this other than TF numbers.

Let's see.
We are in March, right?
Consoles will be released in november (if they don´t get delayed).
There's a 8 month interval, in which Sony can reveal.
Currently what do we know? Some specs (not even all of them) on one console.
But we also knew some details on PS5 features before we knew anything about Xbox.
So I ask:

So, why do you consider Sony to be lossing the hype war?

Because companies are not talking in the same day?
Which period do you consider to be critical for loosing the hype war? Is it 8 months before? Is 7 or 6 not good enough?

yes we are months away, but there is hype already, people are talking about them now.
What are we doing in this thread? We are talking about them, every major and minor gaming site is talking about them. If it was twenty years ago I’d say yeah, but not in this day and age with information moving at light speed.

I’m just saying that Xbox is winning the hype war ( I don’t have a better term for it) atm- that is all l said.
If you think otherwise than that’s fine.

I’m just saying that Xbox is winning the hype war ( I don’t have a better term for it) atm- that is all l said.
If you think otherwise than that’s fine.
I don't think anyone really thinks otherwise - it just doesn't matter. Hype war now doesn't equate to more sales when the things are actually released. It's like a heavyweight boxing match, with one guy getting loads of media attention and a huge bunch of stats on how many fights they've won, and everyone placing bets on them to win. Doesn't mean they will. All that hype doesn't give them any advantage in the ring.

No matter what XBSX's specs and marketing is now, without the contender showing up to compare, decisions aren't going to be made. No-one is going to commit to buy XBSX over PS5 today because XBSX has been shown to have 12 TFs and PS5 is unknown. Choices will be made when the info is out to compare.

I don't think anyone really thinks otherwise - it just doesn't matter. Hype war now doesn't equate to more sales when the things are actually released. It's like a heavyweight boxing match, with one guy getting loads of media attention and a huge bunch of stats on how many fights they've won, and everyone placing bets on them to win. Doesn't mean they will. All that hype doesn't give them any advantage in the ring.

No matter what XBSX's specs and marketing is now, without the contender showing up to compare, decisions aren't going to be made. No-one is going to commit to buy XBSX over PS5 today because XBSX has been shown to have 12 TFs and PS5 is unknown. Choices will be made when the info is out to compare.

To use your boxing analogy, months before the fight there are match conferences and interviews, with fighters, trainers, fathers, brothers , wife’s and girlfriends, this is the world we live in.

See how much there was for the fury vs wilder2 fight? I watched them all. Why? Because l was curious and it was entertaining, and it was hype. it stays in peoples minds, and they spend bucks watching it and betting on it. Bums on seats. It’s like commercials do to us. if you get a lot of positive/good info on a product over a period of time it can basically set you up to buy it, even though another product may come along that may be slightly better You may find yourself purchasing the product that’s been in the back of your mind.
this happened to me just recently and this is my point, no biggie.

I saw *that guy* share screenshots about this on twitter so i decided to check it out myself since he is hardly a reliable source.

On Sr ASIC Manager at AMDs Linkedin he says this in a story about the Xbox Series X: "Nice to see the coverage. As the SOC DV lead, the custom chip was my baby for about 1.5 years."

And then from the "Experience" section: "Lead verification for one of the most complex SOCs to support future gaming consoles.
Manage teams (100+ engineers) across geographies,
Implement processes to improve schedules productivity.
Responsibilities also include the primary customer interface to Microsoft. These SOC ASICs consist of multiple CPU clusters, with multiple CPU cores in each cluster, using x86 and ARM cores, full graphics engine, using the latest 7nm technology process. A major challenge of this role is to make sure the deliverables from 10+ IP teams meet SOC requirements. Clearly communicate and track milestones. The IP organizations are distributed across the USA, China, and India. Keep resource commitment from different domains within the bounds of the project requirements."

So it checks out, the question is if there is any new information to gather from this?

If you want to check yourself: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashish-shukla-b9984411/

Ok for me and you maybe, but try to say that to people that has lost their income or maybe a family member or a friend. For now it would be a sought after reveal for me, but I also think it would be a bit disrespectful from a company in this situation.
you have the correct response :)

though by November things should be different; we can't be in quarantine forever. Hopefully countries have a better handle over COVID by then.

To use your boxing analogy, months before the fight there are match conferences and interviews, with fighters, trainers, fathers, brothers , wife’s and girlfriends, this is the world we live in.

See how much there was for the fury vs wilder2 fight? I watched them all. Why? Because l was curious and it was entertaining, and it was hype.
The boxing analogy isn't at all representative of the consoles. It just goes to show how one guy having a marketing advantage doesn't actually help in the fight. When it comes to the fight promotion, we all already know about the upcoming "XBSX vs PS5" title bout. the fact Sony aren't talking about their contender doesn't mean people will lose interest in the fight and not buy into it when it happens.

You need to make an argument explaining how Sony are worse off. What's the material impact of not talking about PS5 now while MS are being vocal about XBSX? How many consoles/dollars are they going to lose?

though by November things should be different; we can't be in quarantine forever. Hopefully countries have a better handle over COVID by then.
One way or another, Covid19 will be done with by the end of the year given exponential infection rates.

Read my second paragraph, it’s in there.
here it is copied from my last post.

See how much there was for the fury vs wilder2 fight? I watched them all. Why? Because l was curious and it was entertaining, and it was hype. it stays in peoples minds, and they spend bucks watching it and betting on it. Bums on seats. It’s like commercials do to us. if you get a lot of positive/good info on a product over a period of time it can basically set you up to buy it, even though another product may come along that may be slightly better You may find yourself purchasing the product that’s been in the back of your mind.
this happened to me just recently and this is my point, no biggie.

you have the correct response :)

Wouldn't be too great if people pile up and wait in line at stores to get the latest toy, while corona still being around like this.

Wouldn't be too great if people pile up and wait in line at stores to get the latest toy, while corona still being around like this.
No lol. No.
My response was inappropriate. I was trying to offer another perspective. But really as long as the world is in active action to fight COVID; no products will likely be marketed except for a vaccine.

I don´t understand queues in this day and age with those sort of goods, when you can pre-order and guarantee first day delivery. If not, a couple of days won´t kill anybody.

A forumer was complaining the other day that he won´t be able to pick a copy of an upcoming game in the store because the lockdown (here in Spain), dude if you really cannot wait just download it...

Anyway, just ranting

No lol. No.
My response was inappropriate. I was trying to offer another perspective. But really as long as the world is in active action to fight COVID; no products will likely be marketed except for a vaccine.

Yes true :p

https://game-insider.com/2013/11/28...in-berlin-waiting-in-line-for-the-ps4-launch/

Imagine, how are they going to control that? 1000 people ain't much maybe, but in context, i mean it's over the 500 limit :)
Online-only orders? Or just delay the launch half a year, to a year? If economy takes a downfall, things maybe be unpleasant in terms of sales anyway. Could give sony some time to add 3tf ,)
Then, the image of a company releasing a gamingconsole amid a crysis....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back