Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Shocking!
    :mrgreen:

PSman1700, Nesh and Scott_Arm like this.
  2. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Sony also have VRS patents for PSVR, this is not the idea of VRS being patented, it's just a specific implementation. Most of the time it's software.

There can be a million ways to implement the software side of VRS, while still using the same AMD hardware. Same for RT.

Whenever a company uses the word "patented" without a patent number you can dismiss it as PR bullshit. Every little thing they do is "patented".

milk, egoless and Globalisateur like this.
  3. RDGoodla

Regular Newcomer

He said "high 10tf to low 11tf " and then changed his statement to 10.5~11.5.

I guess his value "high 10tf to low 11tf " is too precise.

Interesting if PS5 is 11TF with higher frequency.

4. Proelite

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Link to Sony's VRS patent? I can't find them.

PSman1700 likes this.
  5. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Since when were Laborginis, Ferraris, Teslas, Bughatti Veyrons etc mass consumed products?

6. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

One of them...
    https://patents.google.com/patent/EP3129979A1/en

There's a few of them which the title starts with "varying effective resolution by screen location...", and more recent ones about "varying geometry tesselation by screen location".

I have no clue what is needed in hardware to push it further and more efficient. But I suppose the more the hardware allows varying everything by screen location, the more there will be software work to figure out how to map the detail level of each section of the screen.

It's the dynamic algorithm that sounds difficult. VR and foveated is just a simple calculated screen space map.

KeanuReeves, egoless, BRiT and 3 others like this.
  7. Proelite

Thanks couldn't find it with my Google fu.

8. RDGoodla

Regular Newcomer

Previous Bloomberg report said PS5 BOM is $450. With 11TF (also higher frequency than Xsx) and faster SSD, SONY can still sell PS5 at $399 if they use smaller SSD (750GB, which may decrease BOM by $20). Or Sony sells PS5 at $399 in US and $449 for other markets.

It is super smart if $450 11TF is true and Sony PS5 will undercut XB heavily. Lockhart will fail day 1 if MS cuts price of XSX too.
    The design is what Cerny really plans!!!

egoless likes this.
  9. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Wow I know this is OT but comparing a model 3 with Lamborghinis, Ferraris and of all things a Bugatti Veyron is a stretch.

But I still don't see why this has anything to do with why a new hardware developer or old one shouldn't develop or fund a potential disruptor.

disco_ likes this.
  10. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Yeah, someone hasn't priced out Teslas recently...

11. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

Bloomberg said BOM is ~450$ AFTER spike in prices, therefore it means it was smaller originally.

PSman1700 likes this.
  12. N2O

N2O
    Regular

To be fair i don't even know how announce it $399 or $449 or whatever means undercut heavily to Xbox.

13. Proelite

Hmm, after looking this over with experts on VRS culture, this doesn't seem to be VRS. Seems closer to foveated rendering.

Similar enough conceptually tho.

14. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

So, arent Lambos, Ferraris and Veyron's cars? So why now call it a stretch, when you dont recognize that niche and differentiation exist? Sure Teslas arent priced like your typical car and neither can you find easily the same support for parts.
    If he wants to risk it, while the product has to be priced competitively, support established feature sets and also motivate support by being easy to develop for, sure why not? Lets experiment. As romantic and idealistic as it may sound in your and my ears, it is not something that can be supported as it used to decades ago. Developers dont like reinventing the wheel, they want familiar pipelines and workflows and consumers want something that is easily affordable. Money and time are even more important now, and developers learn efficient methods that are already established. Making the console attractive only for big developers and with questionable results is not ideal. We saw what happened with the PS3. On paper it was a "tesla" and our inner child's dream come true. In practice it was an over expensive product with potential that was hard to push it.
    Sure if Sony manages to create a new "car" model that is priced low enough and everyone wants and can drive easily, they should do it. It is a best case scenario. I wish it happens but I dont want to over expect.

#7654 Nesh, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    PSman1700 likes this.
  15. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Buying a Tesla is more like buying a family sedan than it is like buying a supercar these days. Your comparison isn't accurate.

16. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I disagree. It is priced as a luxurious car and similar to "exotic" hardware, you cant find everywhere mechanics trained to provide proper maintenance (which is also pricier than owing a common European or Japanese car) nor find parts. Just like not every developer is capable at or wants to exploit hardware that deviates a lot from common practice.

PS Also Tesla the company has been facing many problems in profitability and financial stability for decades. Sony cant and doesnt want want to afford something similar.

17. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Sadly, this off-topic nonsense about cars is actually the best part of this thread's discussion.

:p

TheAlSpark and Nesh like this.
  18. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

If you had compared it to luxury brands like Mercedes or BMW, I would have agreed with you. But you didn't. Put it this way: there are multiple Teslas in the parking lot where I work right now. Not a single supercar.

19. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Don't let Elon hear you say that!

20. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

I wasn't trying to suggest that the PS5 had any bespoke hardware but only that it isn't that far fetched to think a company might have come up with a better way to do something even if it's highly unlikely, it does happen.

Also the failure of the PS3 shouldn't be the end of innovation, sadly most new ideas fail but when they don't they usually become massive.

PS3 also had a lot of things go wrong it wasn't because of Cell alone that it was a failure in fact I would suggest the main culprits was the delay and price of the Blu Ray parts they needed and Nvidia delivering an underwhelming GPU part.

Edit:
    Back to Tesla, yes they did struggle but now they on the verge of becoming massive, possibly the Apple of cars :)

#7660 Xbat, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    egoless likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.