Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft keeps saying they use "patented" VRS when RDNA 2.0 or 1.9 is for xsx.

Why can not SONY has their patented RT block if ms can have "patented " VRS?
Sony also have VRS patents for PSVR, this is not the idea of VRS being patented, it's just a specific implementation. Most of the time it's software.

There can be a million ways to implement the software side of VRS, while still using the same AMD hardware. Same for RT.

Whenever a company uses the word "patented" without a patent number you can dismiss it as PR bullshit. Every little thing they do is "patented".

He has a shit ton of posts of GAF. I'm not sure what to make of it. He is basically says PS5 is targeting 10.5-11.2TF but also a lot of posts are a bit wishy washy (ie it could be this it could be that).

In one of his long posts he says this near the end:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next...-analysis-leaks-thread.1480978/post-257062434
He said "high 10tf to low 11tf " and then changed his statement to 10.5~11.5.

I guess his value "high 10tf to low 11tf " is too precise.

Interesting if PS5 is 11TF with higher frequency.

Sony also have VRS patents for PSVR, this is not the idea of VRS being patented, it's just a specific implementation. Most of the time it's software.

There can be a million ways to implement the software side of VRS, while still using the same AMD hardware. Same for RT.

Whenever a company uses the word "patented" without a patent number you can dismiss it as PR bullshit. Every little thing they do is "patented".

Link to Sony's VRS patent? I can't find them.

Well if a friend of mine leaked me data I would also be vague so as to not make it be easy to trace back to whoever leaked it.
I am sceptical about him though, something about his posts seem off to me.

Since when is a car a niche?
Since when were Laborginis, Ferraris, Teslas, Bughatti Veyrons etc mass consumed products?

Link to Sony's VRS patent? I can't find them.
One of them...
https://patents.google.com/patent/EP3129979A1/en

There's a few of them which the title starts with "varying effective resolution by screen location...", and more recent ones about "varying geometry tesselation by screen location".

I have no clue what is needed in hardware to push it further and more efficient. But I suppose the more the hardware allows varying everything by screen location, the more there will be software work to figure out how to map the detail level of each section of the screen.

It's the dynamic algorithm that sounds difficult. VR and foveated is just a simple calculated screen space map.

One of them...

There's a few of them which the title starts with "varying effective resolution by screen location...", and more recent ones about "varying geometry tesselation by screen location".

I have no clue what is needed in hardware to push it further and more efficient. But I suppose the more the hardware allows varying everything by screen location, the more there will be software work to figure out how to map the detail level of each section of the screen.

It's the dynamic algorithm that sounds difficult. VR and foveated is just a simple calculated screen space map.

Thanks couldn't find it with my Google fu.

His comments are that the PS5 is 10.5 to 11.5 TFLOPs. It's 11TF plus/minus 500GFLOPs, and those are the target specs being given to the devs he claims he's talking to.

a 1.5TF gap with the SX probably wont even result a resolution bump and at 11.5 they're pretty much indistinguishable in performance. .

Previous Bloomberg report said PS5 BOM is $450. With 11TF (also higher frequency than Xsx) and faster SSD, SONY can still sell PS5 at $399 if they use smaller SSD (750GB, which may decrease BOM by $20). Or Sony sells PS5 at $399 in US and $449 for other markets.

It is super smart if $450 11TF is true and Sony PS5 will undercut XB heavily. Lockhart will fail day 1 if MS cuts price of XSX too.
The design is what Cerny really plans!!!

Since when were Laborginis, Ferraris, Teslas, Bughatti Veyrons etc mass consumed products?

Wow I know this is OT but comparing a model 3 with Lamborghinis, Ferraris and of all things a Bugatti Veyron is a stretch.

But I still don't see why this has anything to do with why a new hardware developer or old one shouldn't develop or fund a potential disruptor.

Previous Bloomberg report said PS5 BOM is $450. With 11TF (also higher frequency than Xsx) and faster SSD, SONY can still sell PS5 at $399 if they use smaller SSD (750GB, which may decrease BOM by $20). Or Sony sells PS5 at $399 in US and $449 for other markets.

It is super smart if $450 11TF is true and Sony PS5 will undercut XB heavily. Lockhart will fail day 1 if MS cuts price of XSX too.
The design is what Cerny really plans!!!
Bloomberg said BOM is ~450$ AFTER spike in prices, therefore it means it was smaller originally.

One of them...

Hmm, after looking this over with experts on VRS culture, this doesn't seem to be VRS. Seems closer to foveated rendering.

Similar enough conceptually tho.

Wow I know this is OT but comparing a model 3 with Lamborghinis, Ferraris and of all things a Bugatti Veyron is a stretch.
So, arent Lambos, Ferraris and Veyron's cars? So why now call it a stretch, when you dont recognize that niche and differentiation exist? Sure Teslas arent priced like your typical car and neither can you find easily the same support for parts.
But I still don't see why this has anything to do with why a new hardware developer or old one shouldn't develop or fund a potential disruptor.
If he wants to risk it, while the product has to be priced competitively, support established feature sets and also motivate support by being easy to develop for, sure why not? Lets experiment. As romantic and idealistic as it may sound in your and my ears, it is not something that can be supported as it used to decades ago. Developers dont like reinventing the wheel, they want familiar pipelines and workflows and consumers want something that is easily affordable. Money and time are even more important now, and developers learn efficient methods that are already established. Making the console attractive only for big developers and with questionable results is not ideal. We saw what happened with the PS3. On paper it was a "tesla" and our inner child's dream come true. In practice it was an over expensive product with potential that was hard to push it.
Sure if Sony manages to create a new "car" model that is priced low enough and everyone wants and can drive easily, they should do it. It is a best case scenario. I wish it happens but I dont want to over expect.

Last edited:
So, arent Lambos, Ferraris and Veyron's cars? So why no call it a stretch, when you dont recognize that niche and differentiation exist? Sure teslas arent priced like your typical car and neither can you find easily the same support for parts.

Buying a Tesla is more like buying a family sedan than it is like buying a supercar these days. Your comparison isn't accurate.

Buying a Tesla is more like buying a family sedan than it is like buying a supercar these days. Your comparison isn't accurate.
I disagree. It is priced as a luxurious car and similar to "exotic" hardware, you cant find everywhere mechanics trained to provide proper maintenance (which is also pricier than owing a common European or Japanese car) nor find parts. Just like not every developer is capable at or wants to exploit hardware that deviates a lot from common practice.

PS Also Tesla the company has been facing many problems in profitability and financial stability for decades. Sony cant and doesnt want want to afford something similar.

It is priced as a luxurious car and similar to "exotic" hardware

If you had compared it to luxury brands like Mercedes or BMW, I would have agreed with you. But you didn't. Put it this way: there are multiple Teslas in the parking lot where I work right now. Not a single supercar.

If you had compared it to luxury brands like Mercedes or BMW, I would have agreed with you. But you didn't. Put it this way: there are multiple Teslas in the parking lot where I work right now. Not a single supercar.
Don't let Elon hear you say that!

We saw what happened with the PS3. On paper it was a "tesla" and our inner child's dream come true. In practice it was an over expensive product with potential that was hard to push it.
Sure if Sony manages to create a new "car" model that is priced low enough and everyone wants and can drive easily, they should do it. It is a best case scenario. I wish it happens but I dont want to over expect.

I wasn't trying to suggest that the PS5 had any bespoke hardware but only that it isn't that far fetched to think a company might have come up with a better way to do something even if it's highly unlikely, it does happen.

Also the failure of the PS3 shouldn't be the end of innovation, sadly most new ideas fail but when they don't they usually become massive.

PS3 also had a lot of things go wrong it wasn't because of Cell alone that it was a failure in fact I would suggest the main culprits was the delay and price of the Blu Ray parts they needed and Nvidia delivering an underwhelming GPU part.

Edit:
Back to Tesla, yes they did struggle but now they on the verge of becoming massive, possibly the Apple of cars :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back