Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
His comments on the dismissal attempts:

Here we have a verified developer that is publicly known, who has written shaders for real time raytracing on the PC (meaning he's at least somewhat familiar with Vulkan's RTX path) and claims to be close to people who work on the new consoles on a daily basis.

At this point, one can either believe:

1 - He's compulsively lying despite being an identified developer and not an anonymous account who's successfully tricking neogaf's mod team.
2 - He's not lying but he's spelling out info that he doesn't really understand, despite being a developer whose experience ranges from creating assets to writing shaders, worked on a real-time raytracing title and has experience over multiple game engines.
3 - He's telling the truth.

His comments are that the PS5 is 10.5 to 11.5 TFLOPs. It's 11TF plus/minus 500GFLOPs, and those are the target specs being given to the devs he claims he's talking to.
Im going with attention seeker (similar to Klee, albeit not at that level). His latest posts are as vague as it gets.

"Sony aimed 10.5-11.5TF....but 13TF might be GCN TF, therefore if we go by 1.25x multiplier, 10.4TF would be Navi TF we would get in retail. This fits with lower end of ballpark."

Really?

I know this. The article is from february 2019 and I am french, the article told the Xbox specs inside the reddit leak are true. They had the information from their own source. And they said only the Xbox part of the reddit leak not the PS5 leak.
So Jeuxvideo independantly verified first Scarlett leak, which proved correct, and which also specified PS5 specs. This is no small coincidence, the guy posting specs was correct and he was correct before anyone else ever posted anything about next gen.

I can see Sony pushing clocks further from 1.8GHz found in Gonzalo to close the gap. Gonzalo benchmark is physical fact, as is Flute, and they match up to "gospel" and Ariel > Oberon pretty damn good. In fact, all of these were deleted one way or another from all sites AMD could get their hands on. IMO it says alot about validity of rumors...

So Jeuxvideo independantly verified first Scarlett leak, which proved correct, and which also specified PS5 specs. This is no small coincidence, the guy posting specs was correct and he was correct before anyone else ever posted anything about next gen.

I can see Sony pushing clocks further from 1.8GHz found in Gonzalo to close the gap. Gonzalo benchmark is physical fact, as is Flute, and they match up to "gospel" and Ariel > Oberon pretty damn good. In fact, all of these were deleted one way or another from all sites AMD could get their hands on. IMO it says alot about validity of rumors...

But did he knows the PS5 specs? All we know is that Albert Penello told this is what MS think Sony will reach... ;) Maybe the source of the leak was internal...

Yeah, but how likely is it after 3 decades of rasterization only, to make a risky jump towards RT and PM, shaking things up completely?

Sigh. We get a percentage of information here and there, try to speculate this and that. What could make any sense what not...
The NDA guys miss all the fun with speculating, but watching our guessing, doomed to be worng, is probably even more fun.

Hehehehe... True.
But I see as possible that Sony could have created it´s own RT solution mixing RT, PM and Hybrid rendering in an external chip connect by IF. They have the knowledge, they have the patents.

You're awfully stuck on that ".9" when the original poster mentioned it in passing and as means to say it doesn't have all the stuff in RDNA2 because it's been traded by custom optimizations.
Now I also think that conversation has run its course, we will just have to agree to disagree that the expression he used was symbolic and not descriptive.

Reality is o'dium is as close a verified insider as we're likely to get, and discrediting his rumours needs better arguments than character assassination.

So I mean I feel I have to respond to this since this has mainly been my direction here I apologize for the long post. I'm not trying to character assassinate Odium, on the contrary as I have said, he can certainly have information but still be wrong. That's not a assassination of his character or whether he is outright trying to lie to people, but people can get things wrong. That being said, I need to caveat where I'm going with this: I have no side in this argument, at the end of the day things will play out regardless of how we discuss speculative specs. There's no going back at this point in time; target discussions are dated, we well into hard end game for this consoles now.

Shifty, you opened up the goal for this discussion to move away from Github and onto any rumours to let in anything to be heard or discussed. I respect that, and in some ways it does open up discussion, but there are downsides to that; broadening the spectrum allows for more noise to come in.

Since with this thread we are dealing mainly in rumours and baseless posts; I need to discuss some things head on about leakers, information we hold tightly, and sources. One of the things that I do today is when I receive information I don't tell people what it is. This is because if I have information no one else has, and that information is leaked by another party, I can qualify the likelihood that the rest of their information is accurate. It's a fairly simple but effective way of determining if something is true or not. And I don't need to say anything about it. That being said, I can evaluate a great deal of journalists or leakers who have a proven track record in this regard, this doesn't mean they are perfect, but they are definitely on signal than they are on noise.

As you both know, there are a great number of individuals on this board that have access to information that would sit inside NDA territory, but these individuals have no credibility, do not want to expose their sources, or do not want to be investigated as leaker. What's interesting is that when the Github data mined information were released, it verified their information in a way that would not expose their sources or declare themselves a leaker. They only needed to continually point at Github data, which to this day has proven extremely accurate.

When you took away Github from the discussion, you took away the chance for these individuals to speak on their intel. Granted the data is now dated and the information that needs to be official is now official. But you can see how what was declared as 'Github Gospel' is really more like, Github is my chance to safely point people in this direction. And that was removed; fairly though, I believe its had it's time in the spotlight and the information is no longer valuable to discuss, but keep aware that there were people genuinely trying to tell you guys something but was brushed off by being called a religious cult.

The interesting thing about leaks is that proven journalists and leakers all start to converge on similar data points which has backings to other data points and so forth. These type of relationships are what provide additional credibility to any data point and moves what would be an anomalous data point into signal.

In my line of work, anomaly detection is a very prominent task that many scientists will take on. We look at sample or population of data, find the lines of best fit and determine what anomalous data points exist outside of that. We build ML algorithms to detect anomalous data points in real time. It's nothing new, credit card companies and everyone has been doing this type of thing forever. The interesting thing with doing anomaly detection is that over time data that is anomalous and then becomes consistent the algorithm will determine that we have shifted the line of best fit. For example; this might be when everyone started saying XSX was 12 TF and that was a far stretch until everyone kept saying it from a variety of sources and it became that.

Having said that; this particular point in which Tott points out "You're awfully stuck on that ".9"" is just that to me. I cannot ignore how anomalous this data point is. I need to be clear, all of our leakers, journalists, sources have never once declared RDNA 1 or RDNA 2 for XSX or PS5. Not once had it ever come up in discussion in terms of leaks (all declared it as Navi) but aside from expectation there was never a single leak on it. Nothing, not a single peep. Post announcement of XSX official specs, we actually get a ton of tech blogs, journalists, papers of the sort indicating that they were surprised by RDNA 2.0 coming to XSX. And not a single one of them stated in their journals that they have information that suggested it would be, or that they had information suggesting it was RDNA 1.0.

SO when Odium came along _post_ announcement and declared it not 2, but 1.9 a figure of speech I understand this completely. I find this data point to be extremely anomalous for 3 reasons
a) no one else or any other leaker had information on the architecture (he's the only one)
b) no one else has called it less than RDNA 2.0 (he's the only one)
c) he's gone so far to declare how close it is to RDNA 2.0 but quite not (he's the only one)

In my line of work, this is a massive anomaly. There are a lot of people talking specs and leaks and rumours and paste bins and journalist and somehow among all the data that we've seen and come across, this 1 particular point has never come up.

When we look at VFX Veteran's supposed GAF leaks, he brings in a ton of anomaly points as well. A second Playstation, Lockhart, price points in the 800. Once again none of these have ever been discussed.

Normally we ignore anomaly's. Because they're likely not proper signal. And while I respect the idea of opening things up, i have been trying my best to show case what is anomalous and what is not and I'm being countered with vague replies on how things could be. This isn't an attack on someone's character; this is just how I see data points that I know deserve hard scrutiny.

Everything else Odium has said checks out, but everything he has said was also said and known by other leakers MONTHS ago. Jaguar cores and PS5 was discussed by Richard a month ago. 8TF and 9TF PS5 was known in January of 2019. He has provided few data points that I can see are his alone and the one that stuck out is that one. Because post official spec announcement, he posted that, and he's still the only one: and that's deserving of scrutiny.

So do they just make games with a minimum of 10.5TF in mind but can't go past 11.5TF? Once Sony settle on the final TF count they'll send out the final devkit?
I think even the worst case scenario 10.5TF would pose no problem, a 1.5TF gap with the SX probably wont even result a resolution bump and at 11.5 they're pretty much indistinguishable in performance. Best thing is that ~11TF console is unshackled by last gen 1.84TF console so it can be used to its fullest potential on the get go, I expect games to look noticeably better on it than the SX, don't shoot me, just guessing here :).

What would you find to be not vague enough that it could be right by accident?

Looks like there can't be any win here.
- Being too detailed raises red flags because specs can change at the last minute (i.e. an 8% clock uptick on the production model would mean ~+1 TFLOPs at this point), and no one knows the future
- Being vague to the point of naming a 11 TFLOPs figure +/- 4.5% means it's vague enough that it could be "right by accident"

I mean, yah, it's all vague. Someone can guess roughly 11TFLOPs and end up being right but that doesn't mean they actually had insider info. They may have just guessed, or they may have just made an educated guess. Who knows. No one is going into any incredible detail.

Might as well just say "I don't believe anything that doesn't come from official channels".
Which you can, but I wonder what you'd be doing in this thread if that's the case.

I mean, that's not far from the truth and I'm in this thread because I can do whatever the fuck I want.

Last edited:
Or you could tone down on the dishonest character assassination attempts that you've been doing this whole thread, and just quote the full post and link to it.
Instead of choosing one singled out sentence that you can use for your agenda.
Or you know, you could agree to disagree and move on.

But what a lot of people can’t understand is that Sony and Microsoft had two different goals at two different times. Whether people like it or not, Sony WAS making a next gen machine and it WAS targeting around 9tf. But those plans changed, a fair time ago. they leveraged all they had done on designing the 9tf system to get it much higher, and are now in the realms of about 10.5 to 11.5, with the possibility of it going a smidge higher.

Might be me to be fair miss reading, I’m typing in haste today lol. Bit busier than usual, but what ill still say is regardless of it all I’m still sticking to my 10.5-11.5 tf final range. RDNA is more optimised than GCN, so you would need more tf in GCN to match RDNA performance, something like 1.25 or so, I believe. So to match a 12tf rdna, you would need 15tf gcn. Or round abouts. The current figure that’s being floated about for PS5 is 13tf, or 13.8. Well 13tf gcn just so happens to be 10.4tf, my lowest target more or less that I was told about. 13.8 gcn is 11.04 rdna... which is smack bang in the middle of the targets I was given.

Sorry for any confusion, been a crazy morning, my 3 year old daughter hasn’t been for a number 2 in over a week now even with laxatives. So you can imagine how pleasant it is looking after her...

*corrected

True, I can’t argue that, I really can’t. But then if it’s only 9.x, Sony wouldnt be having thermal issues to the point that they Would be resolved later, they wouldn’t be in the same price position as MS etc

So while I see it as a possibility, I can’t realistically see Sony releasing a 9.2 tf rdna machine, because that would mean it would be a 7.36tf gcn machine, and that’s... that’s just not happening. Even if you take onboard the advancements in other areas, that’s not gonna fly, and would be a console they could release dirt cheap, and bloody COLD too.

Even the sx isn’t using true 2.0, so anything is possible.

Only thing I’m confident in is it’s not 9.xtf, but as I keep being told, 10.5-11.5 target.

So I go through his posts (which he has like 300 in last 5 days) and all I see inconsistencies. He is using 1.25x multiplier to prove that 13TF GCN dev kits must have meant 10.5-11.5TF retail Navi, but its completely wrong, since 7.9TF 5700 is ~10% faster then Vega 64. In one post he says they have 10+ TF target, in the other he says "he's been told". And I will ask the same thing I asked about Klee, from where do these guys get sort of low level info they pretend to have? Its one thing to hear or know about target specs, but get actual spec list (Klee), know when Sony will hold meetings (months in advance) or about their plans for PS5 (when, how and why was it delayed)...? Sounds a bit too much for guys who are no where near the position which would be required to have access to such info.

Simply put, I don't believe him and we can continue the way we have for hundreds of pages. I have no issue with you believing it, but you shouldn't have with me not believing him either.

But did he knows the PS5 specs? All we know is that Albert Penello told this is what MS think Sony will reach... ;) Maybe the source of the leak was internal...
Well, Gonzalo was PS5 related, had ~20K fire strike score and had GPU running at 1.8GHz with 36CUs so that would match the info he provided back in January 2019, yes.

Well, Gonzalo was PS5 related, had ~20K fire strike score and had GPU running at 1.8GHz with 36CUs so that would match the info he provided back in January 2019, yes.

And later it was 9.2 Tflops and after github it was modified if you listen to the guy who find github Komachi. I have the full github repo and there is some trace of Vega stuff on Sony side. It seems they had more APUs than Microsoft.

He has a shit ton of posts of GAF. I'm not sure what to make of it. He is basically says PS5 is targeting 10.5-11.2TF but also a lot of posts are a bit wishy washy (ie it could be this it could be that).

In one of his long posts he says this near the end:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next...-analysis-leaks-thread.1480978/post-257062434

I’m not an insider, I never want to be called that, I just have a few friends I’ve worked with before who work at a few select places. Om an indie developer who has worked with several people in the past who have access to development kits. For all I know they are having a laugh with me, but it all seems to match up, and if you read the tea leaves, it all makes sense as a good prediction.

Since when is innovating or coming up with your own technology considered arrogant?

I'm not saying Sony has developed there own Ray Tracing solution but this rhetoric that it's folly to try to do something when there are already incumbents is backwards and stifles innovation.

There would be no Tesla with that mindset.
Tesla can innovate because it is a niche and can charge extra.

So do they just make games with a minimum of 10.5TF in mind but can't go past 11.5TF? Once Sony settle on the final TF count they'll send out the final devkit?
It's probably more like (example):

- Devkit 1 had a 10.6 TFLOPs GPU, devkit said "we're working on increasing the GPU clocks"

- Devkit 2 had a 11.4 TFLOPs GPU, devkit came up too loud and hot

- Devkit 3 had a 11.2 TFLOPs GPU, devkit came up cooler but still loud

- Devkit 4 had a 10.8 TFLOPs GPU, devkit said "we're working on increasing the GPU clocks"

In the end you have a reasonable range where you believe the consumer version will be. You have a former colleague friend (who let's say is called Odi-hum) with whom you sometimes comment on the new hardware. You can't say specific numbers, but you can tell Odi-hum "well I'm pretty sure it'll come out somewhere between 10.5 and 11.5 TFLOPs".

So I mean I feel I have to respond to this since this has mainly been my direction here I apologize for the long post.
I'm 95% sure @Shifty Geezer wasn't talking about you, much less trying to single you out ;)

They only needed to continually point at Github data, which to this day has proven extremely accurate.
It hasn't.
The github files suggest a GPU without ray tracing hardware (why would Arden / SeriesX mention RT and not Ariel/Oberon?), which in the meantime Sony confirmed it exists.

I need to be clear, all of our leakers, journalists, sources have never once declared RDNA 1 or RDNA 2 for XSX or PS5. Not once had it ever come up in discussion in terms of leaks (all declared it as Navi) but aside from expectation there was never a single leak on it. Nothing, not a single peep.
I'm 99% sure this was not the first time a leaker (or leaker) claimed that next gens are "over RDNA1 and under RDNA2".
I'm sorry but I really don't have the time to go through 300 pages here + 1200 pages on gaf to prove this to you, so you'll just have to take my word on it. Or not. :)

When we look at VFX Veteran's supposed GAF leaks, he brings in a ton of anomaly points as well.
VFX Veteran isn't being taken very seriously on gaf, or anywhere else that I know of.
Regardless, he's not been saying the PS5 will be a 2-tiered launch with a 9TF console and a 12 TF higher end version.
I haven't been posting his stuff here because he's already been proven wrong a couple of times.

I mean, that's not far from the truth and I'm in this thread because I can do whatever the fuck I want.
What's your point, then?
Are you just going to repeat "I don't believe anything that comes to this thread" over and over and over?
If you don't want to discuss non-confirmed datapoints, why are you here, in the thread dedicated to discuss non-confirmed datapoints? What do you stand to gain on that?

And later it was 9.2 Tflops and after github it was modified if you listen to the guy who find github Komachi. I have the full github repo and there is some trace of Vega stuff on Sony side. It seems they had more APUs than Microsoft.
I have Github repo as well. Komachi got all his Oberon info from there, and Ariel from another sources (in late 2018 he already said he thinks he knows PS5's APU is in early testing).

In any case, Gonzalo had Ariel. Ariel was based on GFX1000, so first Navi chip. Ariel was 36CU part that, in Gonzalo benchmark, ran at 1.8GHz. Oberon seems to be later chip that got A0 stepping in February 2019 (as per one file dump in repo). Is Oberon 36CU part, similar to Ariel, but based on RDNA 2 with RT/VRS or completely different chip, I dunno. What we know is that it has same bus width, but higher clocked memory chips (Flute benchmark from July + repo).

He has a shit ton of posts of GAF. I'm not sure what to make of it. He is basically says PS5 is targeting 10.5-11.2TF but also a lot of posts are a bit wishy washy (ie it could be this it could be that).

In one of his long posts he says this near the end:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next...-analysis-leaks-thread.1480978/post-257062434

I’m not an insider, I never want to be called that, I just have a few friends I’ve worked with before who work at a few select places. Om an indie developer who has worked with several people in the past who have access to development kits. For all I know they are having a laugh with me, but it all seems to match up, and if you read the tea leaves, it all makes sense as a good prediction.
Did he ever think his friend is trolling him? or is that even a real friend?

40 CU - no redundancy, funky yields.
@2GHz = 10.24TF, even funkier yields
10.24/12.0 = 85%
CPU/GPU balancing act choice for devs! ala Nintendo. Because I'm jesting but maybe it's a lot of power on the GPU side for the CPU to be so high, while the GPU is high while it's late to be messing around with the silicon but

What's everyone gabbering about. o_O

What's your point, then?
Are you just going to repeat "I don't believe anything that comes to this thread" over and over and over?
If you don't want to discuss non-confirmed datapoints, why are you here, in the thread dedicated to discuss non-confirmed datapoints? What do you stand to gain on that?

I'm here for for my own amusement, small reprieves from work, the small chance that something interesting comes up. Why are you here?

Im going with attention seeker (similar to Klee, albeit not at that level). His latest posts are as vague as it gets.

Well if a friend of mine leaked me data I would also be vague so as to not make it be easy to trace back to whoever leaked it.
I am sceptical about him though, something about his posts seem off to me.

Tesla can innovate because it is a niche and can charge extra.

Since when is a car a niche?

About the clocks/memory in the You-Know-What-Leak we aren't allowed to thematise here anymore(oops) I consider them as upper limit functional tests. AMD/Sony engineers then play around with the clocks/memory setups to find out the desired speed/economical sweet spot <<= these test vectors. It would be a waste of time to play around with different settings to identify that sweet spot when they would cause the chip to malfunction.

Anyway, to me people running with this Odium narrative of 9.2(Github test) is ancient and was replaced by a secret 10.5TF-Fantasy TF version need to explain their idea of a time table because what I can come up with

1) APU has usable CUs not previously tested/documented Sony decided to use.
2) Secret parallel APU design not documented in the known leak.
3) Sony ordered a new design with more CUs/new layout/clocks after early to mid 2019 for a product release late 2020:) That would make me wonder where does "fast" PS5 rumours come from when current devs have only access to "slow" PS5 then?:)
4) Sony clocks the 36CU PS5 design even higher than the "known" 2.0Ghz test because for Sony the sky is the limit.

seems to be somewhat lacking in sense to varied degrees of plausibilities.

According to Odium, since PS5 and XSX are both RDNA 1.9, so to speak, then they both should have the same RT and VRS blocks from RDNA 2.0 back ported to RDNA1.9.

So by this admission of evidence Sony is using AMD's solution and not Power VR or photons or their own custom solution.
Microsoft keeps saying they use "patented" VRS when RDNA 2.0 or 1.9 is for xsx.

Why can not SONY have their patented RT block if ms can have "patented " VRS?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back