Attempt to override the constitutional amendment process

Natoma said:
The point would be to show that enshrining something such as a gay marriage ban would be going against what the constitution and this country have stood for since its inception, i.e. the rights and privileges of the minority in the face of the overwhelming majority.

The constitution (and it's "spirit") has also been abused by courts and others to grant rights where they don't exist. Quotas and "reverse descrimination" in order to make it "fair", etc.

The majority is always wrong? Let's protect the rights of polygamists, statutory rapists (say, a 16 and an 18 year old), and incestual couples while we're at it. They're in the minority, right?

And please, spare me the "I can't believe you're equating them to homosexuality" crap that's surely on the tip of your fingers again, because I'm not doing that.

Natoma said:
Legion,

Can you refute what it's saying rather than just "it's full of shit?" I'm pretty interested in this tbh.

Its not a matter of refutation, the entire premise is absurd. First, the catholic church does not constitute christianity. Second, the article admits after "much digging" this information was discovered. This tells me if it were infact practiced it was done without the pope knowledge or acceptance and that it wasn't common place. Thirdly, christian religion is very much against homosexuality as God states its a wicked behavior. The nature of the material and lack of publishing and correlation tell me this is more than likely propaganda.

John Reynolds said:
And speaking of hypocrites, who was the first to start talking down to someone in this thread? Instead of asking what I was getting at by quoting the Treaty of Tripoli you get cute with the cake bit.

Because I knew exactly what you were getting at with that quote, and I still stand by my response....it's irrelevant..

And that quote is "talking down to you?!" Lol....are you really serious here? :oops:

Get over yourself.

Speaking of hypocrites, you repeatedly insult me...

Um, when did I not admit that I insult you at times? That's your hypocricy, John. Not mine. I admit I do it to you at times. And I take it from you all the same.

You, on the other hand, seem to have a problem with taking it after hacing dished some out. to the point where you'll delete posts.

And yet, if in response I ask for an apology (even a MUTUAL one), you fail to see the need.

Because I'm affiliated with this site also does not mean I have to take it.

Correct.

But it should mean that you abide by the rules you set for others, hypocrite.

I have for weeks and I've also repeatedly warned certain people that their behavior will change or else. Fair warning?

No, it's an "unfair" warning at best.

And I'm hardly anti-Christian as a Christian myself. I'm anti-fundamentalism, period.

So...you're the authority on what makes a fundamentalists, and what doesn't. Didn't know that. Talk about bigotted...I mean, the fact that you are Christian at all would lead many people to label YOU as a "fundamentalist".

Joe DeFuria said:
Natoma said:
The point would be to show that enshrining something such as a gay marriage ban would be going against what the constitution and this country have stood for since its inception, i.e. the rights and privileges of the minority in the face of the overwhelming majority.

The constitution (and it's "spirit") has also been abused by courts and others to grant rights where they don't exist. Quotas and "reverse descrimination" in order to make it "fair", etc.

I haven't seen any court grant quotas and "reverse discrimination" Joe. I mean, Brown v Board of Education did enforce school bussing and integration which probably caused some white children to be tossed out due to the fact that schools now had to accept members of both races, but I would hardly call that an abuse considering what the original ruling was overturning.

Joe DeFuria said:
The majority is always wrong? Let's protect the rights of polygamists, statutory rapists (say, a 16 and an 18 year old), and incestual couples while we're at it. They're in the minority, right?

I never said the majority is always wrong. The implication of what I stated is that the judiciary is here to interpret the constitution and uphold the rights of the minority when they are being infringed upon by the majority. That's all. The legal arguments for and against are a completely different matter.

Joe DeFuria said:
And please, spare me the "I can't believe you're equating them to homosexuality" crap that's surely on the tip of your fingers again, because I'm not doing that.

Well I wasn't going to say that because we've been down that road before with your equations "on certain levels" and there's no sense in treading that ground anymore. :)

Legion said:
Natoma said:
Legion,

Can you refute what it's saying rather than just "it's full of shit?" I'm pretty interested in this tbh.

Its not a matter of refutation, the entire premise is absurd. First, the catholic church does not constitute christianity. Second, the article admits after "much digging" this information was discovered. This tells me if it were infact practiced it was done without the pope knowledge or acceptance and that it wasn't common place. Thirdly, christian religion is very much against homosexuality as God states its a wicked behavior. The nature of the material and lack of publishing and correlation tell me this is more than likely propaganda.

If I recall my church history correctly, the catholic church was the only christian church in europe after the schism, until the rise of protestantism in the 1500s. All of the current denominations of christianity basically came out of protestantism separation.

Second, just because information was found after much digging doesn't mean that it was done without the pope's knowledge or that it wasn't common place. There is much that was left out of the bible during its translations (especially the king james version), but people today will call it the complete holy word of god. Of course, there are probably another 10-20 books that should be in the bible today, let alone the real translations from the original texts.

Third, there are only two instances that speak on homosexuality. One of which is the most famous, i.e. the one from Leviticus, which says that if mankind lay with mankind as with woman, it is abomination. Of course this has some translation problems. We assume it means sex. Some believe it means rape, which in those days was not a problem if you raped a woman because she was property and you could do anything to her once you were married. Being that men were not considered property, the rape of a man would be considered anathema at the time. There are other translations of this that have completely different meanings as well.

The other instance that speaks on homosexuality? Paul, in romans. The same guy who also outlaws women speaking and just about everything else. So no, the case isn't airtight actually.

[EDIT]I forgot about Soddom and Gomorroh. :LOL:

It touches on the same translation of rape basically, which is why the towns were punished. They tried to rape the angels. Remember that Lot wasn't punished for offering up his daughters to the mob, because women at that time were property. But men were not.
[/EDIT]

Joe DeFuria said:
Because I knew exactly what you were getting at with that quote, and I still stand by my response....it's irrelevant..

And that quote is "talking down to you?!" Lol....are you really serious here? :oops:

Get over yourself.

Pot. Kettle. Black

Um, when did I not admit that I insult you at times? That's your hypocricy, John. Not mine. I admit I do it to you at times. And I take it from you all the same.

You, on the other hand, seem to have a problem with taking it after hacing dished some out. to the point where you'll delete posts.

Complete delusional crap.

And yet, if in response I ask for an apology (even a MUTUAL one), you fail to see the need.

Because you have no right to sit back and demand one.

But it should mean that you abide by the rules you set for others, hypocrite.

Well, you know, at least I'm not a self-blinded bigot who, quite frankly, is sick of taking abuse because he's a mod on this site.

No, it's an "unfair" warning at best.

Life isn't always fair. Most adults realize that. But I do think I'm being fair and consistent. The only ones who've complained to me are the ones who apparently don't want their rights to call names and make personal attacks taken away.

So...you're the authority on what makes a fundamentalists, and what doesn't. Didn't know that. Talk about bigotted...I mean, the fact that you are Christian at all would lead many people to label YOU as a "fundamentalist".

Wow, more patented logic from Joe. Sure, because I'm the one preaching how we need to finish God's work and kill every man, woman, and child in the middle east. I'm the one saying God will strike us down if we let the tool grinders have equal right. No, I think I'm the one sitting back and remembering verses about thou shall not judge and that sort of thing. I'm also not the one who thinks innocents need to suffer or be killed because of the actions of a minority of extremists.

John Reynolds said:
Pot. Kettle. Black

Must I keep reminding you that I'm not the one who refuses to accept a mutual apology? Am I the one who is pointing fingers at "who in this thread" started to escalate things?

Complete delusional crap.

Hmmm...I could sware that your warning in this thread was not delusional, it was pretty clear....and that you haven't already deleted a post of mine aldeady in a similar thread.

Because you have no right to sit back and demand one.

Oh, this is one for the ages. :)

It's called asking for an apology, and to boot, at the same time I offer one in return. I'm in no position to DEMAND anything here, I'm not the mod who's got his trigger finger on the delete button, running around threating people with a "fair warning" for acting in no way different than you are.

Well, you know, at least I'm not a self-blinded bigot who, quite frankly, is sick of taking abuse because he's a mod on this site.

No, you're taking abuse because your a mod who's a hypocrite. Not a mod.

Life isn't always fair. Most adults realize that.

So, you recognize you're not being fair then? That's all I've been saying.

But I do think I'm being fair and consistent.

Oh well, scratch that. So...what is it...is it "fair" here or not?

The only ones who've complained to me are the ones who apparently don't want their rights to call names and make personal attacks taken away.

The only mods I've ever complained about are the ones who are inconsistent between what they practice, and what they preach.

Wow, more patented logic from Joe. Sure, because I'm the one preaching how we need to finish God's work and kill every man, woman, and child in the middle east....

Wow, I see that went completely over your head. :rolleyes:

Again, the fact that you are a Christian at all would lead some people to label you as a "fundamentalist." Taking any stock in the bible at all?! Christ was God on Earth?

I'm the one saying God will strike us down if we let the tool grinders have equal right.

I'm not saying you are, John.

Thing is, you're implying the President says as much. Please, provide a link that shows this, or as I said, stop lumping in Bush with this "person you know at work".

Natoma said:
If I recall my church history correctly, the catholic church was the only christian church in europe after the schism, until the rise of protestantism in the 1500s. All of the current denominations of christianity basically came out of protestantism separation.

Eastern Orthodoxy? :oops:

Joe DeFuria said:
It's called asking for an apology, and to boot, at the same time I offer one in return. I'm in no position to DEMAND anything here, I'm not the mod who's got his trigger finger on the delete button, running around threating people with a "fair warning" for acting in no way different than you are.

Joe, I'm going to just address this one bit and I'm through. I've repeatedly pointed out your use of the rolls eyes emoticon in the very post in which you demanded an apology. You knew this was inflammatory to me at that point in time, yet you chose to use it. You've repeatedly failed to address this when I bring it up. Hardly what I would describe as creating an amiable tone condusive toward mutual apologies (an apology you did not deserve, IMO).

fini

akira888 said:
Natoma said:

Eastern Orthodoxy? :oops:

Eastern Orthodoxy was based out of Turkey was it not? I didn't consider that as part of europe when making my statement. :)

Back to the subject at hand, y'all realize that it is INTENTIONALLY hard as hell to change the constitution? And that there is a VERY good reason for that?

This is not a good idea, not a good idea at all. And since I can't keep me threads straight, I think I'll just spout out here how I feel the whole "God is the power of our laws" crap that Bush is trying to push thru is going to fail utterly too and it will backlash so hard against him that it'll be the crux of his downfall from power.

Our laws powers come from the people, President Bush has entirely lost touch with that and the second he pushes for it to come into law he's gonna get bitch slapped with that one so hard that his ears will be ringing for a week! :devilish:

Natoma said:
Tell us how you really feel dig. :)

How I REALLY feel? I'll tell ya how I feel, I feel fucking powerless. I feel like my government has been hijacked by the elite in this country and they've been running it according to their own agenda for their own gains and have run rampshod over anyone who gets in their way.

I feel like my government has pretty much given us the finger and told us that it's their way or the highway just like they've told the rest of the world, and I'm just INCREDIBLY fucking pissed off when I encounter people who can't see that! :mad:

pant-pant-pant

Ok, I feel a little better now. What were we talking about? :|

Here's something that may cool you down a little. I wrote this a few months ago. :)

Natoma said:
I just can't get upset anymore. To far too many people here, war is fine and can be started for any reason whatsoever as long as we get the evil doer.

"Well we didn't find any WMD and sure that was the reason we went into Iraq and started this war, but we got the evil doer, so the it's ok with me."

And the funny thing is, some of these same people will be in an ATI/NVIDIA thread demonizing Nvidia for not fulfilling what it said it would do in any topic, or massaging the truth about certain situations. One is dealing with life and death and should receive that level of scrutiny. The other is dealing with a damn videocard company.

Maddening........

You can pretty much apply that to many of the pro-bush administration/anti-nvidia people around here. hehe. You know who you are. :p

Don't worry, the act will likely get shot down in committee. And if by some act of divine intervention it doesn't, I can't see it getting past the House or Senate.

What relevance does this have wrt to anything Natoma? Not a damn thing. The catholic church inaccurately proclaims itself as "the church." Infact, "the church" was the body of believers who constituded the christian religion. Get your facts straight. So you are telling me the Pope accepted this behavior and a later pope over turned it and this was all happening unbeknowst to the rest of the world?!

Second, just because information was found after much digging doesn't mean that it was done without the pope's knowledge or that it wasn't common place.

It was common place and had the Pope's support however the Catholic church frowns on such behavior and no real lliterary evidence exists substantiating these claims? So you are telling me the Pope accepted this behavior and a later pope over turned it and this was all happening unbeknowst to the rest of the world?! Don't be ridiculous.

There is much that was left out of the bible during its translations (especially the king james version), but people today will call it the complete holy word of god. Of course, there are probably another 10-20 books that should be in the bible today, let alone the real translations from the original texts.

You are just reaching Natoma. Biblical consistancy would suggest to you that homosexuality was never accepted Natoma. Please stop believing whatever may be pro your agenda.

Third, there are only two instances that speak on homosexuality. One of which is the most famous, i.e. the one from Leviticus, which says that if mankind lay with mankind as with woman, it is abomination. Of course this has some translation problems. We assume it means sex.

No we don't Natoma. To lay with some one means to have sex. Thats damn well obvious as the SAME terminology is used throughout the bible.

Some believe it means rape, which in those days was not a problem if you raped a woman because she was property and you could do anything to her once you were married. Being that men were not considered property, the rape of a man would be considered anathema at the time. There are other translations of this that have completely different meanings as well.

Some believe in mind control satellites...

The other instance that speaks on homosexuality? Paul, in romans. The same guy who also outlaws women speaking and just about everything else. So no, the case isn't airtight actually.

What exactly are you refering to Natoma?

It touches on the same translation of rape basically, which is why the towns were punished. They tried to rape the angels. Remember that Lot wasn't punished for offering up his daughters to the mob, because women at that time were property. But men were not.
[/EDIT]

No it does not Natoma. The terminology does not at all associate with rape. If it did the entire sentence would not make sense. Mankind should not rape Mankind as he rapes woman? Does that make sense to you?

please explain to me the meaning of this law with regards to your defintion of "to lay"

And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.

Seems to me lie refers to any sexual conduct. Unless of course the sex was consensual and this passage only refers to raping an animal :LOL:.

how about this passage:

And if a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing; and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people: he hath uncovered his sister's nakedness; he shall bear his iniquity.

Is this refering to "manking"?

Now lets further address your deliberate misquote:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

So the raper and the victim both are killed for committing an abomination they can't with womankind? Me confused :?

Legion said:

What relevance does this have wrt to anything Natoma? Not a damn thing. The catholic church inaccurately proclaims itself as "the church." Infact, "the church" was the body of believers who constituded the christian religion. Get your facts straight. So you are telling me the Pope accepted this behavior and a later pope over turned it and this was all happening unbeknowst to the rest of the world?!

You said the catholic church was not the only christian church, when that is just not the case. The catholic church was the only christian church before the 1500s protestant movement.

Legion said:
Second, just because information was found after much digging doesn't mean that it was done without the pope's knowledge or that it wasn't common place.

It was common place and had the Pope's support however the Catholic church frowns on such behavior and no real lliterary evidence exists substantiating these claims? So you are telling me the Pope accepted this behavior and a later pope over turned it and this was all happening unbeknowst to the rest of the world?! Don't be ridiculous.

No real literary evidence? Legion you're sitting back and calling things bullshit and irrelevant and whatever, and you're not even reading the history the article is talking about. I'm not saying that the Pope accepted this or didn't, but you don't have any proof to support your claim that the Pope didn't support this when it was occurring back then.

Legion said:
There is much that was left out of the bible during its translations (especially the king james version), but people today will call it the complete holy word of god. Of course, there are probably another 10-20 books that should be in the bible today, let alone the real translations from the original texts.

You are just reaching Natoma. Biblical consistancy would suggest to you that homosexuality was never accepted Natoma. Please stop believing whatever may be pro your agenda.

Legion I grew up in the church for 18 years and spent a great deal of time researching biblical texts with my step-father and the pastors and deacons at my church. This isn't some reach. It is well documented that the King James Bible differs in meaning, sometimes quite starkly, from the original texts when read in the original languages, or in Latin for instance. And of course this doesn't look at the problem of translating old english in KJB into modern day english by a lay person who has no grounding in linguistics.

Legion said:
Third, there are only two instances that speak on homosexuality. One of which is the most famous, i.e. the one from Leviticus, which says that if mankind lay with mankind as with woman, it is abomination. Of course this has some translation problems. We assume it means sex.

Some believe it means rape, which in those days was not a problem if you raped a woman because she was property and you could do anything to her once you were married. Being that men were not considered property, the rape of a man would be considered anathema at the time. There are other translations of this that have completely different meanings as well.

No we don't Natoma. To lay with some one means to have sex. Thats damn well obvious as the SAME terminology is used throughout the bible.

Some believe in mind control satellites...

Used in the context in which it is used, "to lay with" can be translated to mean, raped. There are multiple translations from the original text as to the meaning of "to lay" and what it means in that society.

The Bible is should not be taken literally first off because it is a series of oral stories handed down over hundreds, if not thousands, of years before being written down. You know it got changed along the way. Second, the meanings of words back then would mean completely different things today. For instance, if I say "Yo don't sweat me" now, you know what it means. In 100 years, it could mean "Hey you, don't eat my cake."

Hell, fo'schizzle mah bizzle nizzle could actually have meaning 100 years from now. :LOL:

The point is, language evolves, and the translations, in context, of that bible verse do not point necessarily to just an act of sex, but an act of rape on a being that is not considered property.

If man lie with mankind as with woman, it is abomination
If man rapes a man as he would a woman, property, it is abomination

That explanation fits quite well with the socio-political climate in which these people lived. Women were property to be done with as they pleased. Men were not. In some cultures if you rape a woman, you either have to pay the father or the husband restitution, or you're killed for violating that man's property.

Legion said:

What exactly are you refering to Natoma?

You said that the christian religion is very much against homosexuality and God states its a wicked behavior. Well firstly, God never says such a thing in the bible. And second, the scriptures used in this manner aren't necessarily even accurate if you look at the original texts and relay them to their historical context.

Legion said:

[/EDIT]

No it does not Natoma. The terminology does not at all associate with rape.

Read some biblical history texts. There are many scholars who disagree with you on this matter. :)

Legion said:
And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.

Seems to me lie refers to any sexual conduct. Unless of course the sex was consensual and this passage only refers to raping an animal :LOL:.

In context Legion, this is referring to sex with an animal. That doesn't have to do with the context of raping a man as if he were a woman. As I said before, this translation fits the story of Soddom and Gomorrah quite well.

Legion said:
how about this passage:

And if a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing; and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people: he hath uncovered his sister's nakedness; he shall bear his iniquity.

Is this refering to "manking"?

I assume you mean mankind, but I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at. I never said that "to lay with" didn't mean sex. I said that in the context of that scripture regarding a man laying with another man, it can be translated to mean rape. Rape is sex of course, but I distinguished one by being consensual and the other as not.

Legion said:
Now lets further address your deliberate misquote:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

So the raper and the victim both are killed for committing an abomination they can't with womankind? Me confused :?

In the bible, a man who commits adultery can be spared while the woman is stoned. The bible says thou shalt not kill, yet it says if your children disobey, you can stone them. People say the bible supports monogamy, yet one of the greatest jewish kings, Solomon, had 700 wives and concubines, and was blessed by god.

The bible full of contradictions? You don't say? Never. :p

You said the catholic church was not the only christian church, when that is just not the case. The catholic church was the only christian church before the 1500s protestant movement.

:rolleyes: bullshit. Like i stated before your historical innacuracies confound you. The Catholic Church wrongfully claims to be the original church. Infact there were many churches established by Paul and John prior to the alledged creation of the catholic church.

No real literary evidence? Legion you're sitting back and calling things bullshit and irrelevant and whatever, and you're not even reading the history the article is talking about. I'm not saying that the Pope accepted this or didn't, but you don't have any proof to support your claim that the Pope didn't support this when it was occurring back then.

I HAVE read the history wrt to what this baffoon is suggesting and its entirely absurd. It doesn't correlate with the the churches treatment of De Sade for acts of saddomy nor is there an edict by Rome (the pope) validating Gay marriages. This entire proposition is entirely lacking in historical evidence.

Legion I grew up in the church for 18 years and spent a great deal of time researching biblical texts with my step-father and the pastors and deacons at my church. This isn't some reach. It is well documented that the King James Bible differs in meaning, sometimes quite starkly, from the original texts when read in the original languages, or in Latin for instance. And of course this doesn't look at the problem of translating old english in KJB into modern day english by a lay person who has no grounding in linguistics.

Wow really? I have gone to a number of religious schools and taken college level seminary classes on the OT. I also have experience with Hebrew as a language.

Natoma, lets be honest, when you refer to the original text you surely do not mean hebrew. You are refering to NT literature that refers only to the.

Used in the context in which it is used, "to lay with" can be translated to mean, raped. There are multiple translations from the original text as to the meaning of "to lay" and what it means in that society.

You mean it can be taken out of context. Here are the hebrew words and their meanings for To lay:

to lie down
(Qal)
to lie, lie down, lie on
to lodge
to lie (of sexual relations)
to lie down (in death)
to rest, relax (fig)
(Niphal) to be lain with (sexually)
(Pual) to be lain with (sexually)
(Hiphil) to make to lie down
(Hophal) to be laid

Don't see anything there which means "to rape."

The Bible is should not be taken literally first off because it is a series of oral stories handed down over hundreds, if not thousands, of years before being written down. You know it got changed along the way. Second, the meanings of words back then would mean completely different things today. For instance, if I say "Yo don't sweat me" now, you know what it means. In 100 years, it could mean "Hey you, don't eat my cake."

Don't hand me this crap and then pretend it some how validates your position. If it invalidates mine it likewise does your as the same logic could imply.

Hell, fo'schizzle mah bizzle nizzle could actually have meaning 100 years from now. :LOL:

They'd probably look at you as though you were crazy much like all those whom don't speak ebonics look at african americans who do.

The point is, language evolves, and the translations, in context, of that bible verse do not point necessarily to just an act of sex, but an act of rape on a being that is not considered property.

SO what you are saying is your translation is based on a more factual definition of hiphal based on absolutely nothing....got it.

That explanation fits quite well with the socio-political climate in which these people lived. Women were property to be done with as they pleased. Men were not. In some cultures if you rape a woman, you either have to pay the father or the husband restitution, or you're killed for violating that man's property.

:rolleyes: Its rather straight forward, much as is the rest of leviticus. They are refering to sex behaviors that are to be punished. Why distinguish between manking and womankind if there was no deliberate inclination to discriminate?

You said that the christian religion is very much against homosexuality and God states its a wicked behavior. Well firstly, God never says such a thing in the bible. And second, the scriptures used in this manner aren't necessarily even accurate if you look at the original texts and relay them to their historical context.

:rolleyes: Natoma please try harder then attempting to reduce this dicussion to a position of relativism based on your theory of mistranslation.

Read some biblical history texts. There are many scholars who disagree with you on this matter. :)

And i am more than sure they share your agendas :LOL:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Bullshit! :rolleyes: Crap! :rolleyes: Utter Nonsense! :rolleyes: You're absurd! :rolleyes: Ridiculous! :rolleyes: Baffoonery! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Should I just reply like that and save some database space and bandwidth instead of attacking each and every one of your lines single handedly? I mean god that's a summation of your posts lately. Sheesh.

Back