ATi officially responds to the slides & my thoughts.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
There's a new story up on www.elitebastards.com that I think some of you may want to read....I got an official response from ATi and I share my thoughts on how my morning went.

Sorry, I do not mean this as a site pimp...but I posted up about the leaked slides here and I thought it only fair to also post up ATi's response in the same way.

digitalwanderer since these slides are already exposed to the public and that and that Patti Mikula says that only displaying selected slides shows a slanted view could you please ask Patti to forward the entire presentation to your site so it can be publicly displayed as this could only bring ATI into a better light. And as stated before the slides are already leaked so there is no reason for ati to withhold marketing stratergies.

Just to help you, since you dont mean to pimp your site. Copy/paste from rage3d who did the same over there.

I recently got hold of some ATI marketing slides. I can tell you, I am all for uncovering how we all might be used or abused. I find this very important. However, I have just come to the conclusion that I myself have been used and abused. I don't have to state the name of a specific person or company, but only tell you that things are probably worse than they seem for nVidia. The chance that things are so bad that something such as this are procured and leaked goes to show how much faith we should have in such a company right now.

I will not point fingers, but I will say that nobody should know business better than nVidia and that is what disturbs me about these slides being leaked. I doubt you will see many moves like this from ATI due to their comfortable position. The simple fact that these slides were leaked shows a lot of nothing until something can be made out of them. We would rather not instigate, but investigate and speculate.

I'd like to share some of my thoughts on the events surrounding it and the weirdness that was/is my morning.

I've been poking around a lot and have firmly concluded to my satisfaction that those slides were leaked to me from a certain person from a certain company that is in direct competition with ATi and was leaked specifically for the purpose of trying to discredit ATi's reputation.

Note I said "trying" as I do NOT think this in anyway implicates ATi in any wrong-doing. All the slide says to me is that ATi is getting a bit more aggressive in their marketing, which I think they really should do since they have a very strong product and I think they should push it harder.

I'm very angry and disapointed in myself for the way I went about putting those up, I really should have made more of an effort to contact ATi before I put them up. Not to see if they would "allow" it or not, but to give them a heads up that it was coming and to see if they were indeed genuine or not. In that I do feel I made an error by rushing it out, and for that I truly am sorry and apologize to all those I offended by it. My initial disapointment with the "Influence benchmarks in ATi's favor" has been corrected by a number of people on a number of forums as they've pointed out to me that is a very valid and legitimate concern for a PR department. It does NOT mean nor imply that ATi plans to 'cheat' or optimize for any benchmarks, it merely means that ATi should try and get the benchmarks to show their hardware in the best possible light; ie, try and get dx9 benchmarks to push PS 2.0 since ATi's hardware runs it very well while nVidia's can't, try and get benchmarks to avoid the dreaded "PP hint" that allows nVidia's hardware to run in FP16 rather than dx9's specified 24FP, etc.

I was wrong, and for that I humbly apologize.

I still think it was a poor choice of words in the slide leaked, regardless of context and the fact that it was an internal slide.

It would have been better if they had just said: encourage developers to utilize ATI hardware fully.

It would have been good merely for appearance's sake, just like they probably didn't have the guy presenting the slides wear a black hat and twirl his wiry mustache as he cackled evily. It's just not a bright thing to do.

At least the slide didn't say something like optimize for software *wink-wink*.

hm.. my advise is that you should talk to some card manufacturers (after two or three beers) and let them talk about sale policies from the GPU makers - regardless if it´s NV or ATI. There´s no good and bad when it comes to sales. Or ask Mobo manufacturers about Intel/VIA/SIS/AMD.... it´s all the same kind of gags.

Since this slide looks very much like a sales document, there´s nothing really surprising in there.

Lars

I'll take a cup, thanks!

One spoonful of hindsight and just a bit of moderation in mine, please. ;)

digi,

I just hope you learn to be more careful next time. Not that you did anything "wrong" here. Just that some times its better to "Look before you leap" :)

jb said:
digi,

I just hope you learn to be more careful next time. Not that you did anything "wrong" here. Just that some times its better to "Look before you leap" :)
Meh, life is short so I tend to take big bites of everything. I hope I learned something too, but I hope for lots of improvements in myself. :rolleyes:

I will try harder in the future for verification and not jumping the gun though, I just can't promise I'll pull it off because I know myself pretty well. (Damn it, I'm an enthusiast....I tend to be enthusiastic and passionate over these things rather than coldly analytical; but I'll try and get a healthier balance. ;) )

Look before you rant?

Nothing wrong with publishing them, just be careful what conclusions you draw. Oh, and ask these parties for comment. Wonder if nVidia would have commented on the slide? :)

Quitch said:
Wonder if nVidia would have commented on the slide? :)
Uhm, they did. I received an e-mail yesterday morning from an nVidia employee direct from nVidia with a third slide and about a page and a half dissertation about how ATi was an evil, monopolistic company out to discredit poor nVidia and how the most righteous nVidia interpretted the slide.

Quite amusing, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the person who sent it to me was thinking. :LOL:

nelg said:
Dig, since it seems that you were used by this rep. would you care to name the little brid.
Not at the present time, no. Someone screwed up and probably saved my ass by giving me the hard evidence I needed to prove the slides were from nVidia, I'm keeping it as me anti-nVidia legal team card for protection for now. (I also don't want to get someone fired who inadvertantly helped me out...but I have a feeling there is a VERY nervous individual at nVidia right now! ;) )

My thought on the slides is that they worded that point to draw people into it and be suspicious about it. And when everyones focused on that point they go to the next slide which then explains what that point meant.

Its just an attention grabber thats all.

digitalwanderer said:
Quitch said:
Wonder if nVidia would have commented on the slide? :)
Quite amusing, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the person who sent it to me was thinking. :LOL:

:? :?:

Source said:
It's questionable how evil those quotes are in the full context, so I'm reluctant about only leaking one slide, but eh...

Uttar

3dilettante said:
I still think it was a poor choice of words in the slide leaked, regardless of context and the fact that it was an internal slide.

It would have been better if they had just said: encourage developers to utilize ATI hardware fully.

It would have been good merely for appearance's sake, just like they probably didn't have the guy presenting the slides wear a black hat and twirl his wiry mustache as he cackled evily. It's just not a bright thing to do.

At least the slide didn't say something like optimize for software *wink-wink*.

This was a presentation so there was some verbal discussion going on as well which probably qualified the points a bit better.

Everything in written form has the potential to be taken out of context due to frame of reference, insight, ignorance, whatever... which is exactly what happened here. I'd bet it's happened to all of us in email or chat, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

I highly doubt ATI would put something that damning up for public consumption, meaning outside of the company.

Back