ATI and Nvidia branded consoles would be unstoppable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Banned
Where would Sony and MS get graphics technology to compete?

I think it's like dual GPU's in a console. It's an idea I wouldn't be surprised to see in a gen or two.

Such a simple idea, yet so obvious when you think about it.

The problem is that I don't think that neither Ati nor Nvidia has the economical muscle to make something lke that to come true, there is so mch mre you need than to just produce GPUs, and I am sure that MS and Sony could find others that can make GPUs...

Bill said:

I think it's like dual GPU's in a console. It's an idea I wouldn't be surprised to see in a gen or two.

Where would ATI and NVIDIA get the money to compete?

Simple but crap idea. GPUs are not the only thing in consoles, even though you seem to think so.

Platon said:
The problem is that I don't think that neither Ati nor Nvidia has the economical muscle to make something lke that to come true, there is so mch mre you need than to just produce GPUs, and I am sure that MS and Sony could find others that can make GPUs...

Yeah funds for a huge launch is the issue.

It's just an idea to kick around.

The console business is highly cyclical, but I bet on the high end, it dwarfes what ATI and Nvidia make, so it would profit them.

I'm not sure how MS and Sony would compete.

I think patents would be as big an issue as anything.

I think Sony turning to Nvidia just shows they cant go it alone anymore. Not even Sony. Graphics tech is so specialized now. That's also why it's about impossible to break into that market. Ask XGI or someone like that.

Or trying to compete with Intel/AMD/IBM in CPU's.

Those things are built on top of so many years of engineering now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill said:

Not only that. The launch is just the tip of the iceberg. After launch they need to have enough money to support their consoles for the next 5 years or so. Ask SEGA :smile:

Bill said:
:LOL: Cant you just say "that's a great idea Bill" for once?

The day you do come up with a good idea, sure i will say it! I have nothing against you as a person, i only comment on your ideas and views! :D

won't happen in my opinion but you never know what the future holds. Ati and Nvidia make lots and lots of cash on silicon and really do not want to take away from their chip business by diverting funds to making a console.

ATI and NVIDIA make lots of money (still not enough though) because they charge bloody ridiculous prices on their hardware, always have and always will. $500 for a card that costs them a fraction of that price anyone?

The console hardware business is a largely loss-making business. Totally different.

that is the price one pays to be an early adopter of tech. It takes a lot of R&D to make a chip.

actually Nintindo has made a profit off of their NES SNES GB GBC GBA GBA SP GBM and DS (VB was a loss not sure about N64) so it does not alway have to be a loss from a hardware standpoint...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill said:

It's just an idea to kick around.

The console business is highly cyclical, but I bet on the high end, it dwarfes what ATI and Nvidia make, so it would profit them.

I think patents would be as big an issue as anything.

I think Sony turning to Nvidia just shows they cant go it alone anymore. Not even Sony. Graphics tech is so specialized now. That's also why it's about impossible to break into that market. Ask XGI or someone like that.

Or trying to compete with Intel/AMD/IBM in CPU's.

Those things are built on top of so many years of engineering now.

I think that it is very difficult to get into the GPU market, just because Ati and Nvidia are so strong and recognized, not because there is no knowledge around that could make as good a GPU. If there is a new GPU that is as good as Ati and Nvidia, I am sure not many would buy it since it comes from someone that the gamers do not know, and that is why I think that not many companies are trying to get into that market, not to mention that there just might not be enough room for more players.

I am sure that sony/MS could built a GPU unit by them selfs, it would cost them but they could, and by offering better salaries and such I am sure they could attarct whole teams of Ati/Nvidia employes to work for them...

I agree with Bill, but I don't think nVidia or Ati would be able to do the consoles all by themselves... they'd need someone to partner with making the CPU at least, and possibly with marketing.... someone with recognised names in either home electronics or personal computers.
I can see maybe Intel + nVidia, or IBM + Ati or IBM + nVidia.... still, I don't think they'd get a phantoms share of markets with names like iNvid, IBATI or nVIBE (<- hey! nVIBE would be a cool name, the E would be like M of theibM turned on side! I should work for living on these things :D )
OK... maybe if Sony, Microdoft or Nintendo jumped in with their money, names and marketing, now that would be an idea !

rabidrabbit said:
OK... maybe if Sony, Microdoft or Nintendo jumped in with their money, names and marketing, now that would be an idea !
Isn't that what they're doing now...? ;)

Really, ATI and NVIDIA are laughing all the way to the bank with the deals they got even in the last generation... I don't see them trying to get in properly and start taking immense losses, when they can make LOTS of money just being contracted for the GPU parts of new consoles.

Like Toshiba and IBM and Yamaha and all other contractors are getting a very good deal just by being one of the parts of these consoles, without having to risk a LOT and come out with a console of their own.

Not saying it will NEVER happen of course, never is a long time, but i don't think it will happen any time soon.

My GC has an ATI stocker on it. Didn't stop GC from seeling badly did it?

Consoles make money through software sales. ATI and nVidia do not publish games. ergo why would they change their approach, which is to ake money out of making GPU's for other companies and letting them take the hardware loss leader costs?

Bill said:
Your post is filled with so much nonsense I don't know where to begin.

First off, as others have already pointed out: launching consoles is silly expensive (manufacture half a million plus units of expensive electronics and then sell them at a loss = big bank account needed), and a GPU is not the only thing in a console. Besides, even if it WAS, you still need games to run on it or it doesn't matter how uber the specs are. ATi/Nvidia have zero experience of actual game development, they have no established software franchises, no previous hits to build on, their relations with devs is pretty much restricted to driver bug reports and other technical assistance of that nature.

It simply isn't a realistic proposal, and believe it when people say it, that ATi/NV would stand no chance against either of the established brands if they were to try, which they KNOW. Which is why they limit their involvement to that which they are best at; delivering a graphics solution. ;)

Its simple

Ati/nvidia develop chips yearly . This is huge r&d every year .

Ms and sony produce a console every 4-6 years this is huge r&d

Ms and sony go to ati / nvidia and say whatcya working on ? Let us invest some money and use it in our console and pay u a small fee per chip made

Ati and nvidia say sure .

For them its very little extra work and they get a butload of money from it .

Why deal with all the other costs

Bill said:

GREAT idea Bill...
LOL I haven't laughed this much since your last great idea.

Bill said:

Are you trying to make a more laughable post than your "SLI in consoles" idea.

If so you should be commended on a valient effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back