ATI Alcatraz event information

Nite_Hawk

Veteran
Hi Guys,

I didn't find this until just recently, so I figured some of you may not have seen it yet. Two different guys who hadn't RSVPed managed to get into the Alcatraz event. One is a regular over at the halflife2.net forums, and the other guy is someone from dreamworks who posts on shacknews. Anyway, both of them reported information from the event, and the guy over at halflife2.net took a video of most of the event. Sounds like it was a pretty happening time. Sheds some light on the halflife 2 situation, 9800xt, asus, and more. Anyway, here are the links:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10477&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8588851

Nite_Hawk

Yeah, I did see something on the "Steam is delaying HL2!" rumor yesterday at half-life2 forums or somewhere. I guess someone pulled a bit of social engineering and got one of the Valve people discussing how they really need to get the P2P component of Steam going before they can release anything major with it. :(

Perhaps HL2 is being delayed because of the "Steam" coming out of some Santa Clara company right now ? :)

CorwinB said:
Perhaps HL2 is being delayed because of the "Steam" coming out of some Santa Clara company right now ? :)

That is one of the more popular rumors at the moment. It would not be surprising to me if that's the case.

I have limited experience with steam, and it has been a bit quirky to date to say the least. I can't imagine what will happen (with Steam in its current state), once the extremely high profile HL2 (even just the benchmark) is released.

I don't have any issue with the model Valve is trying to promote with steam...but I have some serious doubts about them pulling it off in the near future from a technological standpoint...

Hi Guys,

Well, now I'm wondering if the delay is due to the supposed sourcecode leak that is all over the place for the halflife2 engine.

Follow this thread for more information:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/sho...hreadid=10591&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Some of the linked threads have already been deleted, so I don't know if the above linked thread will last or not. It looks like the leak is legit. A number of people who were originally doubting took a look at the source and commented on it. I haven't seen it myself, but the descriptions of the source, along with compile results seem pretty accurate. The only vagueness at this point is how old this particular copy of the code is.

Maybe this was the reason that Gabe seemed really tired/nervous at the event last night?

Nite_Hawk

"build_common.bat" from the source leak has a "last modified" date of sept 5th, 2003 if that helps any. :|

I don't think the benchmark was delayed due to the leak, I think the leak occured since the benchmark was delayed. :(

I've had a chance to look through the source, and it's legit. There are pieces missing though, specifically a lot of the include files (possibly all HL2 includes?) are not there, and there is a lot of HL1 stuff floating around. Still, this is bad news for valve. I'm not sure exactly what the ramifactions are given that this appears to be only a partial source leak.

I hope that Gabe & Co don't let them get this down too much, and can still release the game in a reasonably timely manor. This could explain a lot of the silence we've had over the last week or two if they knew this had gotten out. Atleast it appears that this is only partial source, and that none of the game files got released. Argueably things could probably be a lot worse...

Nite_Hawk

Nite_Hawk said:
Argueably things could probably be a lot worse...

Nite_Hawk

One wonders if they might get worse yet....that is, this leak is some sort of "tease" about what COULD be leaked....

Back