Athlon X2 motherboard compatibility

Gubbi

Veteran
Just ordered an Athlon X2 4400+

Does anybody here know if this cpu is compatible with MSI's Neo2 PLATINUM ?

Cheers
Gubbi

That's what I thought. I could see that support for E stepping CPUs have just been added to NF4 boards :(

Cheers
Gubbi

John Reynolds said:
Guden Oden said:
Athlon X2? I wasn't aware there even was an athlon X, much less X2... :?

Dual core A64. I wasn't aware they could be ordered as a tray, retail boxed part yet.
Monarch has them for sale, as does Tiger direct, with availability in 2 weeks or so.

They're outrageously expensive, however. ($650 for the x2 4400+)

RussSchultz said:
John Reynolds said:
Guden Oden said:

Dual core A64. I wasn't aware they could be ordered as a tray, retail boxed part yet.
Monarch has them for sale, as does Tiger direct, with availability in 2 weeks or so.

Compare to the PDEE at Newegg for $1192.

John Reynolds said:
RussSchultz said:
Yeah, that is outrageously expensive.

Particularly if you look at the EE 840s performance compared to the 4800+'s.
No doubt.

I'm frustrated because no "reputable" IT provider sells AMD systems, which makes it a pain in the ass to get the best performing workstations in any large organization.

The Baron said:
RussSchultz said:
John Reynolds said:
Guden Oden said:

Compare to the PDEE at Newegg for $1192.

Same price as the 4800+. Besides you can get the plain 840 which is exactly the same as the extreme edition for a little more then $500. Only difference is the EE has hyperthreading, which doesn't seem to make much of a difference the majority of the time. Need I remind you that the lowest X2, the 4200+, costs as much as the plain 840.

http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/amdx2/x2_6.htm

Memory Bandwidth:

This was a real shock and it seems that despite the X2's better memory latencies, there's some significant penalty somewhere in the shared memory controller architecture when compared to the regular 4000+.

I may be going off topic but I thought as the X2 was being discussed (& the damned 3DVelocity forums are down) I'd ask here if anybody knows if the memory bandwidth result is really serious, acceptable for the other benefits of dual core or has the reviewer (Wayne) screwed up somewhere?

'fraid I don't know enough about stuff to be able to judge if this deserves its own thread. :cry:

RussSchultz said:
John Reynolds said:
Guden Oden said:

Paid 4400,- DKK for a boxed X2 4400 which is ~$725, we have a 25% VAT here however, so $580 in US prices (gotta love the weak dollar :) )

Will be delivered the 17th.

Regarding compatibility: On MSI's own support boards they state that it should just plug and play (keeping my fingers crossed).

Cheers
Gubbi

2senile said:
I may be going off topic but I thought as the X2 was being discussed (& the damned 3DVelocity forums are down) I'd ask here if anybody knows if the memory bandwidth result is really serious, acceptable for the other benefits of dual core or has the reviewer (Wayne) screwed up somewhere?
It's true that it scores (slightly) lower in synthetic memory bandwidth benchmarks, but that's pretty irrelevant, in real world memory intensive situations it's faster, not slower.

Back