Athlon 64 Shuttle XPC noise

Gubbi

Veteran
Just got a SN85G4 based Athlon 64 XPC.

Performance is great, but I'm disappointed with the noise levels of this machine. I expected it to be near silent.

Does anybody know how easy it is to change the large fan to something else? I'm thinking a low rpm Pabst or something.

Cheers
Gubbi

Mine has a pretty annoying high pitch whine. I'm just gonna put it in a closet eventually :?

There was an article in PCW this month showing how to swap the default fan on a shuttle for a 12cm silent fan mounted on the outside using a fan duct.

Wasn't difficult, apparently, although the wires on the outside are a little ugly and the fan isn't shielded so watch those fingers kids.

Been tempted to do it with my Shuttle. It's not too bad when it's on the web, but the noise when running 3D apps is a bit annoying - the constant tinkering of the speed up and down is probably more irritating than anything else.

Fundamentally Shuttle's are very hard to quiet. There just isn't enough room inside to get decent absorbers in.

I'm actually surprised by the noise level of my new PC, with a Leadtek 5900 Ultra (the one with 2 fans on the graphics card)... I mean it IS a bit loud, but i thought it would sound like a reactor, which it doesnt... My case is rather big though, and i should put another fan on it just to be safe, but so far it's pretty cool...

Gubbi said:
Just got a SN85G4 based Athlon 64 XPC.

Performance is great, but I'm disappointed with the noise levels of this machine. I expected it to be near silent.

Does anybody know how easy it is to change the large fan to something else? I'm thinking a low rpm Pabst or something.

Cheers
Gubbi

What's special in the SN85G4 XPC ? I have an Athlon 64 and no noise.

RainZ

If you want a less-noisy XPC the Zen XPC is the way to go the power is provided by an external power supply instead of the side mounted one on the other XPCs.

I suggest you check out:

www.sfftech.com

You'll be able to find out all the information you need to know about 'modding' a Shuttle system here. It is extremely easy to replace the ICE fan and is also relatively simple to stick a 120mm fan as a quieter alternative. Hey - if I can manage it, anyone can! ;)

Thx for the replies.

When the large fans speeds up there's a slight vibration. Maybe the bearings are lousy. Anyway I'll change it.

I'm also looking to get a different cooler for the graphics card (9600XT)

Cheers
Gubbi

Back